JOE FRANK RULEZ THE WORLD (radio related)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Anasarca's thraed about T.A.L. reminded me of my other fave NPR jumpoff:

JOE FRANK

This dude has had a big influence on me since I tuned into this show via KCRW back in '98. Josh Nimoy and I am down with this dood. He deserves mega props. I think he has influenced a lot of commercials, writing, films, radio, and even literature since he started his pseudo-stories and excellent stream of consciousness surreal and semi-detached writing.

Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Way back in highschool I would stay up late and listen to Joe Frank and have my young mind blown. I haven't listened to any of his work in years but back then it was seriously next level business.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I listen to Joe Frank almost everynight when I go to sleep. I think he has been in bad health of late which is a shame. A worthy hero.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    "Joe Frank is no longer giving interviews. This interview was given in 1994 to Douglas Mcgowan and transcribed by Eric Battle. Flashbacks of Joe Frank's shows can be heard (or downloaded) on his site: joefrank.com."

How come he is no longer giving interviews? What was it like to meet the man, D?

• My whole interaction is pretty much right there, and it was all over the phone. I talked to him on the phone again a year later, mostly about his experiences of getting nowhere with the movie business.

He never really was in the habit of giving interviews, and only said yes to me on a lark, because I was in high school. If it had ever occured to him that the internet was going to make the interview available to the world I'm sure he would have said no. I think he gave maybe three in his entire career.

But yeah, huge, huge part of my life when I was in high school, really my substitute psychedelic drug for those years.

• yes! my old roommate had a box full of Joe Frank cassettes from the early 90s(you could just write the guy and he would send them to you)...we used to listen to them constantly...anyone remember the one about the guy in the elevator who fantasizes about a woman that gets on the elevator with him?...mind blowingly funny.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    really my substitute psychedelic drug for those years.

YESSIR

• werd, Joe Frank is the shit. They've carried his show on WFMU for many years. Extremely surreal, and the guy has an amazing delivery. He has this knack to take normal things and describe them in very thorough detail, going on and on and on. The details start to get a little weirder, and a little weirder, until the whole situation turns from being normal to being completely ludicrus. Its quite subtle. In a way you can say he's mixing reality progressively into unreality.

One of my faves is where the bullfighter is on a date with this girl, and tries to impress her at a restaurant, to describe the art of bullfighting. He goes on and on. Eventually they take a small table, and attach knives to the legs, and she holds it upright, to simulate the bulls horns. The guy proceeds to demonstrate how to avoid the 'bull' and ends up getting stabbed.

Classic.

$??