anybody can scratch...honestly...

djnikolessdjnikoless 236 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
At least that's what I was saying for four hours today. The station I do my radio show on (89.3 The Current) did a family day at the Children's Museum here in the Twin Cities. It was pretty fun. I got to man the turntables all day and let kids take a stab at scratching. Some were shy and I had to tell them, "it's easy, come and try it"...ha! It was kids from like 2 to teenagers and plus parents and grandparents all taking a turn doing scratching. Plus it was fun cause I mainly hit em with the Old School beats so they were scratching (scratch records: seasme street, captain and tenille, herb albert, or whatever I didn't care about...ha!) to these beats all day:

chuck brown-bustin loose
chic-good times
cheryl lynn-to be real
disco four-we're at the party
crash crew-on the radio
bobby byrd-i know you got soul
herbie hancock-rock it
jazzy jeff & fresh prince-brand new funk
de la soul-me myself and I
funky four-do you wanna rock
one way-cutie pie
zapp-mo bounce
kid n play-gittin funky

Oh yeah, and we did do some cutting of the Janet Jackson-What have you done for me lately? acapella (ooohhh...yeah....)

Lots of dancing, "unorthodox" stratching, needle skipping (& breaking), and all that. The kids and parents love it. There was all kinds of activity booths of painting, art, girl scouts or whatever but the Scratch Booth was holding down the numbers...ha! Hip Hop has come along way baby!

Comments

• Nice one man, get them youngers started early...

• thats sounds so dope..i've been fortunate enough to be involved in some scratch/hip hop dj workshops and i've got to say its the best feeling to be able to spread the love of the art to others...

• thanx y'all. It wasn't definitely fun. I'm always trying to do this kind of stuff. There was actually someone there from the Science Museum who asked me to come there and do a mixing seminar or something so I'm looking into that as well...

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    I remember watching the PBS and Qbert had a segment on different scratching techniques on some kids show.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    thanx y'all. It wasn't definitely fun. I'm always trying to do this kind of stuff. There was actually someone there from the Science Museum who asked me to come there and do a mixing seminar or something so I'm looking into that as well...

SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    word em up nikoless!

i did a party at my complex and after some musical chairs (that was fun- i was cuttin motown jams in and out) i let all the kids come up and take a "stab" at scratching and my homebwoi's were a little shocked i let them thrash my needles...but one 8 year old got busy on the scribbles until the needle skipped completely off the record- zoinks. whatever, i can never turn down an eager youngblood.

they'll probably remember that as what got them interested in hip hop/dj'ing...that's pretty monumental if you think about it.

• Hell yeah. That's the shit. I used to have a scratch class at an after school program and some kids will take to it. They immediately get the idea and start freakin' it. Not all kids, but some seem to have a natural gift.

I grew up with a turntable in my room. When I have kids they'll have em too. Get em scratchin' and makin me money goddamnit!!!

• word up Taza & TSG! Gotta keep spreading the gift...even it cost you a couple of needles...ha! I gotta switch gears this week cause I got a History of Hip Hop lecture at this music business/technical College this week. From kids to the big kids yo!

• Kev - this sounds dope! I'd like to come sit in one on of your lectures some time too. Lemme know the whens and wheres.

M.2600