Blue-Eyed Modern Soul

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Is this a new digging trend that I am not aware of?Who would pay forty bucks for a reissue of this schitt?http://www.dustygroove.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/dga/search.cgi?usersrch=on+the+wings+of+a+nightingale&issearch=yes
Everly Brothers, On The Wings Of A Nightingale: The Mercury Studio Recordings 1984 to 1988 (limited edition 2CD set) . . . CD . . . $39.99 Mercury/Hip-O Select, 1984-1988 (2CD) Condition: New Copy[/b] A surprisingly strong collection of 80s material from the legendary Everly Brothers -- recorded for Mercury from '84 to '88 in a variety of styles -- much of endearingly free of the textbook tinny 80s touches that stifled many of the other comeback acts of similar vintage! Longtime Everlys fan Dave Edmunds produced much of the material on this set (the albums EB 84 and Born Yesterday), with a feel that modernized the sound enough for the boys to be taken seriously in the era as more than a nostalgic reunion. The session players also include some famous names (Jeff Lynne, Albert Lee, etc.) who are respectful and in line with the reverent production style, and the Everlys' self-produced album (Some Hearts) and bonus bits in the set fare just as well! 34 tracks on 2CDs: "On The Wings Of A Nightingale", "Danger Danger", "The Story Of Me", "Asleep", "Arms Of Mary", "That Uncertain Feeling", "Why Worry", "You Send Me", "A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste", "Be My Love Again", "Brown Eyes", "Julianne", "Don't Worry Baby" (produced by Sun Records' engineer Jack Clement) and more! (Limited to 5000 non-numbered copies.)

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

Who would pay forty bucks for a CD of this schitt?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Groovy coasters.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Groovy coasters.

"ba dum"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    hatters just ain't ready for the future of collecting

GET YO GAME UP YOUNG REGATTA

• hatters just ain't ready for the future of collecting

• Is this a new digging trend that I am not aware of?

Who would pay forty bucks for a reissue of this schitt?

http://www.dustygroove.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/dga/search.cgi?usersrch=on+the+wings+of+a+nightingale&issearch=yes

Everly Brothers, On The Wings Of A Nightingale: The Mercury Studio Recordings 1984 to 1988 (limited edition 2CD set) . . . CD . . . $39.99
    Mercury/Hip-O Select, 1984-1988 (2CD) Condition: New Copy[/b]

A surprisingly strong collection of 80s material from the legendary Everly Brothers -- recorded for Mercury from '84 to '88 in a variety of styles -- much of endearingly free of the textbook tinny 80s touches that stifled many of the other comeback acts of similar vintage! Longtime Everlys fan Dave Edmunds produced much of the material on this set (the albums EB 84 and Born Yesterday), with a feel that modernized the sound enough for the boys to be taken seriously in the era as more than a nostalgic reunion. The session players also include some famous names (Jeff Lynne, Albert Lee, etc.) who are respectful and in line with the reverent production style, and the Everlys' self-produced album (Some Hearts) and bonus bits in the set fare just as well! 34 tracks on 2CDs: "On The Wings Of A Nightingale", "Danger Danger", "The Story Of Me", "Asleep", "Arms Of Mary", "That Uncertain Feeling", "Why Worry", "You Send Me", "A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste", "Be My Love Again", "Brown Eyes", "Julianne", "Don't Worry Baby" (produced by Sun Records' engineer Jack Clement) and more! (Limited to 5000 non-numbered copies.)

Finally someone legitimizes the genre!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    I liked that song on the wings of a nightingale when i was a kid(i still do) i think my dad lied to me telling me it was a song written by the beatles or something

• probably one of the most underated lp's on elektra from the 80's. nice mix of funky and soullful cuts. All star lineup of session players including gadd on drums.

• here's another...

mostly a rock record but the two modern soul cuts are killer.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I liked that song on the wings of a nightingale when i was a kid(i still do) i think my dad lied to me telling me it was a song written by the beatles or something

Nope, your dad was telling the truth somewhat. The song was written by Paul mcCartney.

SG

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• "ba dum"

RAIS(IN)IST!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

"I celebrate the entire genre"

• Blue-Eyed Modern Soul
    Is this a new digging trend that I am not aware of?

Only if you skipped all the Hall & Oates, Steely Dan and Justin Timberlake threads SoulStrut has posted in the past and went directly to the Little Brother, 50 Cent and Young Jeezy threads instead.

[color:white]Not to blow up your spot or anything[/color]

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    the quintessential entry:

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    the quintessential entry:

I celebrate the entire catalog.

SG