Chris Rock's 25 Favorite Rap Albums

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
this is from the rolling stone with jay on the cover. some interesting choices, especially rap phenomenon. dizzee rascal, wyclef and stillmatic are suspect choices, but otherwise a pretty solid list.1. NWA - Straight Outta Compton2. Snoop - Doggystyle3. 2Pac - Rap Phenomenon II4. Run DMC - Raising Hell5. Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride6. LL Cool J - Mama Said KnockYou Out ("strong enough for a man but made for a woman")7. EPMD - Unfinshed Business8. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique9. A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory10. De La Soul - Buhloone Mindstate11. THe DOC - No One Can Do It Better12. Eric B & Rakim - Follow The Leader13. GZA - Liquid Swords14. Ghostface - Supreme Clientle ("'Stroke Of Death' is so gangster it makes you want to stab your babysitter")15. Geto Boys - Ressurection16. Wyclef Jean - The Carnival17. Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted18. Scarface - Mr. Scarface Is Back ("Everything biggie did, everything pac did, everthing jay-z does was originally done on the first scarface album")19. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt20. Nas - Stillmatic21. Outkast - Aquemini22. Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions23. Lauryn Hill - Miseducation24. DJ Quik - Way 2 Fonky25. Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    this is from the rolling stone with jay on the cover. some interesting choices, especially rap phenomenon. dizzee rascal, wyclef and stillmatic are suspect choices, but otherwise a pretty solid list.

1. NWA - Straight Outta Compton
    2. Snoop - Doggystyle
    3. 2Pac - Rap Phenomenon II
    4. Run DMC - Raising Hell
    5. Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride
    6. LL Cool J - Mama Said KnockYou Out ("strong enough for a man but made for a woman")
    7. EPMD - Unfinshed Business
    8. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
    9. A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
    10. De La Soul - Buhloone Mindstate
    11. THe DOC - No One Can Do It Better
    12. Eric B & Rakim - Follow The Leader
    13. GZA - Liquid Swords
    14. Ghostface - Supreme Clientle ("'Stroke Of Death' is so gangster it makes you want to stab your babysitter")
    15. Geto Boys - Ressurection
    16. Wyclef Jean - The Carnival
    17. Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
    18. Scarface - Mr. Scarface Is Back ("Everything biggie did, everything pac did, everthing jay-z does was originally done on the first scarface album")
    19. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
    20. Nas - Stillmatic
    21. Outkast - Aquemini
    22. Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions
    23. Lauryn Hill - Miseducation
    24. DJ Quik - Way 2 Fonky
    25. Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who's Pharcyde?

Who's Pharcyde?

Who's Pharcyde?

Who's Pharcyde?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

3. 2Pac - Rap Phenomenon II

An excellent mixtape, but how are you gonna say that one of the top 25 rap "albums" of all time is one that was created with no involvement whatsoever from the person whose album it purports to be?

• 20. Nas - Stillmatic

Typo?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    2. Snoop - Doggystyle
    13. GZA - Liquid Swords
    15. Geto Boys - Ressurection
    17. Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
    24. DJ Quik - Way 2 Fonky

• Who's Pharcyde?

Who's Pharcyde?

Who's Pharcyde?

Who's Pharcyde?

"what your burrough did in '83 is ancient history, bro."

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    He also called the Pharcyde "one hit wonders".

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

13. GZA - Liquid Swords
    Why strikethrough Liquid Swords?

• Why strikethrough AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted?

Who's Pharcyde?

Who's Pharcyde?

Who's Pharcyde?

Who's Pharcyde?

Youre a fuckin' clone, son.

• The other night I was watching a VHS tape of the early 90's rap video magazine called "Slammin'." Chris Rock is on the there along with Alex Winter (Bill and Ted). Chris Rock looks to be about 15 in the video. Appearances by Big Daddy Kane, Ice-T, Salt n Pepa, Special Ed, Tone Loc and more. Anyone know if there are other episodes of this show or was the first on the last?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00078BOAK.01-A3FV9UYMH2QGXH.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

• Who's Pharcyde?

Who's Pharcyde?

Who's Pharcyde?

Who's Pharcyde?

Youre a fuckin' clone, son.

"I'm like the bladerunner hunting clones"

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    An excellent mixtape, but how are you gonna say that one of the top 25 rap "albums" of all time is one that was created with no involvement whatsoever from the person whose album it purports to be?

i agree. but i suspect the he intended to simultaniously sum up pac's career and recognize the mixtape game as legitimate/important.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    ("Everything biggie did, everything pac did, everthing jay-z does was originally done on the first scarface album")

• As with anything Rolling Stone does with hip-hop, I was expecting this to be dumb...but REALLY, why the fuck does he have Stillmatic in the top 25 and no Illmatic??

• It's just a list of CR's personal favorites. I don't think it was intended to be a definitive list.

As with anything Rolling Stone does with hip-hop, I was expecting this to be dumb...but REALLY, why the fuck does he have Stillmatic in the top 25 and no Illmatic??

Are u surprised that he doesnt jock Illmatic like most folks. I'ts his list.

• It's just a list of CR's personal favorites. I don't think it was intended to be a definitive list.

I understand that - but who in their right mind prefers Stillmatic to Illmatic?? - I've never heard that one from even the littlest of dudes.

• Here's a novel idea - Chris Rock doesn't know shit about hip-hop!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Here's a novel idea - Chris Rock doesn't know shit about hip-hop!

here's a novel idea - you're wrong!

It's just a list of CR's personal favorites. I don't think it was intended to be a definitive list.

I understand that - but who in their right mind prefers Stillmatic to Illmatic?? - I've never heard that one from even the littlest of dudes.

Cant he just like Stillmatic on its own. Let go.

• Does Chris Rock look like he's in his right mind?

• Here's a novel idea - Chris Rock doesn't know shit about hip-hop!

that's not novel, son. people tell me that all the time.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Here's a novel idea - Chris Rock doesn't know shit about hip-hop!

This actually is not a novel proposition.

Cant he just like Stillmatic on its own. Let go.

No..that isn't allowed

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I don't usually have too much to say about hip hop, but how is it the name "Dre" is missing from that list?

• look the dude is a great stand-up comedian.

his rap list, as celebrity non-record-heads go, is pretty alright.

but he's not some authority on rap.

but I still think the "stillmatic" thing is a typo.