Dustygroove: plaese tell me this isn't happening

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Finally, a home accessory for the vinyl hound -- a set of 4 coasters made out of original record labels mounted on heavy rubber -- as functional as they are groovy! The quality of these coasters is super-high -- as original records are punched out to keep the label intact, then mounted onto rubber backing, then given a durable matte finish, so the whole thing holds together. In fact, we dare say that even compared to most other regular coasters on the market, these are superior -- because they're a bit larger than the rest, making them suitable for many kinds of glasses and bottles -- and the rubber on the bottom makes them super-stable too! But here's the even groovier part -- since the coasters are all made from rare records, each one of them is different! There's a completely random assortment in each pack -- structured only by the genre in their title (jazz, soul, or hip hop) -- but we can promise that each coaster is made out of 100% genuine old vinyl, and that the folks at Cold Sweat have taken extra care to pick out labels that are worthy to grace the home of any crate-digger!

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    WTF??? Not ...next thing would be the accompanying 33plug to actually still play the vinyl?! This is really ...again, maybe for all top notch diggers out there a nice accessoire for zipping some 2000$ vin du table...

• but really, don't blame DG on this (except maybe for using the word "groovy") - have a talk to these Cold Sweat people or whoever and see what the deal is....

if you had a "Down Home Girl" one, though, that'd be

• Oh imagine the irony of ordering a set to find that the one record that has escaped you in all your digging adventures had been turned into a coaster...

Nooooooo!!!!!

• Oh imagine the irony of ordering a set to find that the one record that has escaped you in all your digging adventures had been turned into a coaster...

Nooooooo!!!!!

I was just thinking the same exact thing...

• Jeff Davis, a designer from NYC has done these for couple of years now from more random records. Cold Sweat guys are just ripping of his idea. He also does bowls out of old vinyl. Just hit Google with 'record label coaster'...

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    You can make your own bowls, you just have to stick em in the oven & then mould. I guess you could make your own coasters too if that floats your boat.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Jeff Davis, a designer from NYC has done these for couple of years now from more random records. Cold Sweat guys are just ripping of his idea. He also does bowls out of old vinyl. Just hit Google with 'record label coaster'...

mmmmmm bean dip.
    My old room mate cuts 45's into postcards.

Nooooooo!!!!!

I was just thinking the same exact thing...

The Jimmy McGriff and Lou Donaldson albums shown above are fairly common, so I don't see where all the paranoia comes from.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

The Jimmy McGriff and Lou Donaldson albums shown above are fairly common, so I don't see where all the paranoia comes from.

but they are still records. you can't do that to records. bad record karma.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Logic would also suggest that the copies of the records used would have been far from pristine or warped beyond recognition.

If not, do you think they might sell me the stamped out copies?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Why don't they just print a lable scan on the coaster or something? i mean, why use actual records? thats just kinda foul. it would be cool to have the uber-raers as coasters though. scans i mean. Stark, all that shit.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Why don't they just print a lable scan on the coaster or something? i mean, why use actual records? thats just kinda foul. it would be cool to have the uber-raers as coasters though. scans i mean. Stark, all that shit.

If you're gonna go that far, go ahead and make the Stark Reality beandip tray...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

nah, those would be reissues coasters. Who wants a reissue?

• [

Thats as may be, but whoever is making these probably has no idea of the records they are using and what there raerity is, so somthing special may get coasterd(tm)...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    [

Thats as may be, but whoever is making these probably has no idea of the records they are using and what there raerity is, so somthing special may get coasterd(tm)...

I'd be willing to bet that the people making these aren't butchering sellable records, I mean, come on?! That would be pure stupidity. They're probably trying to recycle and make a profit off of records that are already in unsellable condition.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    as functional as they are groovy

In fact, we dare say that even compared to most other regular coasters on the market, these are superior -- because they're a bit larger than the rest, making them suitable for many kinds of glasses and bottles -- and the rubber on the bottom makes them super-stable too!

Late-night-QVC-style. PBS telethon steez.

"Does this mean that I can use my oversized Slurpee collector's cups without fear of staining my heirloomed coffee table?"

But here's the even groovier part --

• I'd be willing to bet that the people making these aren't butchering sellable records, I mean, come on?! That would be pure stupidity. They're probably trying to recycle and make a profit off of records that are already in unsellable condition.

I hope so, but if these are being mass produced they may just be buying the records in bulk and employing non-record collecting types in a factory somwhere to make 'em.
    So it all depends on the manufacturing set-up i suppose...IM

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Another Soulstrut first... recognize the power of the spoken word... Soulstrut keeps on making it, the world keeps on taking it...

could we get a gif with Soulstrut in place of trenton...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

could we get a gif with Soulstrut in place of trenton...

DISRESPECTFUL!

• These coasters have been around for years. My mom brought some back from Mexico for me at least 10 years ago. They are the perfect size for your bevvies.

• Late-night-QVC-style. PBS telethon steez.
    "Does this mean that I can use my oversized Slurpee collector's cups without fear of staining my heirloomed coffee table?"

But here's the even groovier part --

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I would use those.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I would use those.

• Herm has made these out of rinked records...they are nothing new and nothing you need to pay money for...get craftin!

• What???s up soulstrut, I am the person behind Cold Sweat Coasters???first off let me give a little introduction here since this is actually my first post (been on occasional lurker status for years now)??? DJ John Doe from Vegas, 36, been digging 15+ years, been throwing a funky soul party out here called The Get Back for the past 3 years. some of you may have caught one of my mixtapes from years ago (Fused Funk and Refused Funk)???I know a number of cats on this board: anthonypearson, coolchris, we_eat_trains, funkyeggscramble, tonearm robbery, guzzo, maybe a few more????many of whom prolly have a set of these coasters???

So yes, indeed the coasters are made from unplayable records. I???ve been making them for over 10 years now back when I had found a completely destroyed copy of Roy Ayers??? Coffy and decided to recycle it and make a coaster. I got the idea when I had seen a guy selling record coasters at an Arizona record show a few months prior (although he was making Eagles Greatest Hits and stuff like that). Anyway, I make them once a year as Xmas gifts for my homeys and I usually make around 60 of em a year, depending of course on how many wrecked records I find that year. I only make good titles, or at least what I consider to be good titles. Now that most of my friends have plenty of these coasters on their coffee tables, and after years of hearing ???you should sell these??? from people, my boy we_eat_trains in Chicago took some down to dustygroove for me to see if they would want to carry em.

So rest easy my vinyl loving brethren, these are all recs that would otherwise be tossed and/or forever disappointing the ones who pulled them out to discover a completely thrashed record. I prolly need to go thru that sleevestrut thread as I have tons of sleeves now???.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    That's what I call a first post

• Word up man. I have sent doe a number of records over the years to be coasterized. he has given me some dope titles too. Been a big proponent of him going worldwide with this shit. he does it the right way. and his colelction is
    big respect doe

-t

• dayday 9,611 Posts

^comedy^

and

What???s up soulstrut, I am the person behind Cold Sweat Coasters???first off let me give a little introduction here since this is actually my first post (been on occasional lurker status for years now)??? DJ John Doe from Vegas, 36, been digging 15+ years, been throwing a funky soul party out here called The Get Back for the past 3 years. some of you may have caught one of my mixtapes from years ago (Fused Funk and Refused Funk)???I know a number of cats on this board: anthonypearson, coolchris, we_eat_trains, funkyeggscramble, tonearm robbery, guzzo, maybe a few more????many of whom prolly have a set of these coasters???

So yes, indeed the coasters are made from unplayable records. I???ve been making them for over 10 years now back when I had found a completely destroyed copy of Roy Ayers??? Coffy and decided to recycle it and make a coaster. I got the idea when I had seen a guy selling record coasters at an Arizona record show a few months prior (although he was making Eagles Greatest Hits and stuff like that). Anyway, I make them once a year as Xmas gifts for my homeys and I usually make around 60 of em a year, depending of course on how many wrecked records I find that year. I only make good titles, or at least what I consider to be good titles. Now that most of my friends have plenty of these coasters on their coffee tables, and after years of hearing ???you should sell these??? from people, my boy we_eat_trains in Chicago took some down to dustygroove for me to see if they would want to carry em.

So rest easy my vinyl loving brethren, these are all recs that would otherwise be tossed and/or forever disappointing the ones who pulled them out to discover a completely thrashed record. I prolly need to go thru that sleevestrut thread as I have tons of sleeves now???.