Rap songs about Katrina?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I've been trying to keep track of different songs about Katrina done by hip-hop artists, including Jahi's "New Orleans," the Legendary KO's "George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People," a P.E. cut, Mos Def's "Katrina Clap," a song by Big Sty.Anything else? Especially anything that's GOOD?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I've been trying to keep track of different songs about Katrina done by hip-hop artists, including Jahi's "New Orleans," the Legendary KO's "George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People," a P.E. cut, Mos Def's "Katrina Clap," a song by Big Sty.

Anything else? Especially anything that's GOOD?

Juve, Li'l Wayne and Bun B have all made refrences to it, but I have yet to hear a full song about it that is actually good.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Ski Oakenfull has a track where its mostly parts of the NO mayor interviews 2 days after katrina.
    Although the track is mostly on some broken beat shit (no emo) it complements the spoken word well

The shit the mayor says is really good.. starts swearing and shit
    'All i can say is that it's been two days..people are dying.. and you flying air force one over here just doesn't f**cking do it'' They told me they we're doing everything they could, but its been two days and those ships I dont see em

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I've been trying to keep track of different songs about Katrina done by hip-hop artists, including Jahi's "New Orleans," the Legendary KO's "George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People," a P.E. cut, Mos Def's "Katrina Clap," a song by Big Sty.

Juve, Li'l Wayne and Bun B have all made refrences to it, but I have yet to hear a full song about it that is actually good.

Bow before the sheer artistic brilliance that is Most Definitely.[/b]

Most Definitely:[/b] not just an actor - also a rapper. A rapper with Big Textured Scarves. Cashmere Kufi Movement in full effect.

Bow before the sheer artistic brilliance that is Most Definitely.[/b]

Most Definitely:[/b] not just an actor - also a rapper. A rapper with Big Textured Scarves. Cashmere Kufi Movement in full effect.

There are many reasons to love this man.

His occasionally processed hair... his mutton chops.

His one-time refusal to play venues that serve alcohol coupled with an insistence on posing with a cigarette for nearly every promotional shot.

His promise to reclaim rock and roll for black folks, followed by recordings of tepid retreads of rock's whitest variants.

I'm sure Reynaldo could elaborate for us.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

His promise to reclaim rock and roll for black folks,

that was bad. Man should stick to his skills. Charisma may get you movie roles but rock...

• Ski Oakenfull has a track where its mostly parts of the NO mayor interviews 2 days after katrina.
    Although the track is mostly on some broken beat shit (no emo) it complements the spoken word well

The shit the mayor says is really good.. starts swearing and shit
    'All i can say is that it's been two days..people are dying.. and you flying air force one over here just doesn't f**cking do it'' They told me they we're doing everything they could, but its been two days and those ships I dont see em

I have the full 10 minute Nagin interview you are referring to as an mp3. If anyone is interested lemme know and I'll try and learn how to yousendit something. It was tear-inducing back during the first week of September.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

His promise to reclaim rock and roll for black folks,

that was bad. Man should stick to his skills.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I have the full 10 minute Nagin interview you are referring to as an mp3. If anyone is interested lemme know and I'll try and learn how to yousendit something. It was tear-inducing back during the first week of September.

Essential stuff, I would desperatly need it for this project I am working on but this would be great to share with all.

www.yousendit.com ---browse---selectfile---wait---copy link

good for small files if not

www.megaupload.com ---same type of shit just click out those wack popups
    reliable (but slower) with a time elapsed bar at least

Many thanks

• I have the full 10 minute Nagin interview you are referring to as an mp3. If anyone is interested lemme know and I'll try and learn how to yousendit something. It was tear-inducing back during the first week of September.

Essential stuff, I would desperatly need it for this project I am working on but this would be great to share with all.

www.yousendit.com ---browse---selectfile---wait---copy link

good for small files if not

www.megaupload.com ---same type of shit just click out those wack popups
    reliable (but slower) with a time elapsed bar at least

Many thanks

http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=04650FH88BQZP0NUMTP8KD7DEP

"nagin.mp3"

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

I think Juve's "Get Ya Hustle On" qualifies as a full song. although i'm not sure if faux's dismissing it for quality or just hasn't heard it.

http://www.cocaineblunts.com/mp3/hustleon.mp3

I think Juve's "Get Ya Hustle On" qualifies as a full song. although i'm not sure if faux's dismissing it for quality or just hasn't heard it.

http://www.cocaineblunts.com/mp3/hustleon.mp3

No, I like that song, although it seems to me to be less about the Hurricane and its aftermath than about what one should do next (use FEMA checks to buy drugs for resale purposes)

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    use FEMA checks to buy drugs for resale purposes

is that not one interpretation of the "aftermath"?

• There's also...

Papoose : Mother Nature

I don't know if it's a 12", but you can hear it on the "Checc ya Mail" mix cd by
    DJ Premier...

use FEMA checks to buy drugs for resale purposes

is that not one interpretation of the "aftermath"?

Look, I'm just not convinced that it is a song "about Katrina" in the sense Oliver is using that phrase, but I'm not going to argue the point with you, since I already debated with myself whether I should suggest the song to him.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Look, I'm just not convinced that it is a song "about Katrina" in the sense Oliver is using that phrase, but I'm not going to argue the point with you, since I already debated with myself whether I should suggest the song to him.

it sounds to me like you're stressing too much over this.

it sounds to me like you're stressing too much over this.

terd

• Papoose

belated worst rap name post?