DJ Hurricane solo work?

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Skool me on Hurra.

I haven't heard any of his solo stuff, but as he was the Beastie's DJ I'm thinking its got to be the bomb right?

Is it?

Drop some knowledge.

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Skool me on Hurra.

I haven't heard any of his solo stuff, but as he was the Beastie's DJ I'm thinking its got to be the bomb right?

why would you presume that?

• He was Davey DMX's's DJ first & was on his album. His 1st 12" was "Superfight" with Davey D was cool. Seems to be forgotten though. And The Afros album was pretty good.

His first album 'The Hurrah' would have been better as an instrumental, while his second album, 'Don't Sleep' was absolute bollocks. We had it in our store & not one person bought it. Not even the hardcore Beasties fans. He went all gangster & sounded like an idiot on it. After that he dissapeared.

• but as he was the Beastie's DJ I'm thinking its got to be the bomb right?
    in a somewhat related note i want to know what happened to Mario C "you cant front on that"

His first album 'The Hurrah' would have been better as an instrumental, while his second album, 'Don't Sleep' was absolute bollocks. We had it in our store & not one person bought it. Not even the hardcore Beasties fans. He went all gangster & sounded like an idiot on it. After that he dissapeared.

"4 fly guys" was just about the only good thing on The Hurrah. I forgot about the second one. It was laughable man.

but as he was the Beastie's DJ I'm thinking its got to be the bomb right?
    in a somewhat related note i want to know what happened to Mario C "you cant front on that"

isnt he still a producer?

• Skool me on Hurra.

why would you presume that?

I read that The Hurra was very similar to Ill Communication.. and IMO, that schitt was off the hook, so...... I began presuming stuff.

What about his sampling tastes.. is that anything like with the BBoys albums ?

• Mario C moved back to his birth country & produced this album for Brazilian emcee, Marcelo D2.
    It's pretty cool. A bit poppy & upbeat, but the production is dope.

He also co-produced a Seu Jorge album. That dude who was in the Film 'Life Aquatic'.

• His first album 'The Hurrah' would have been better as an instrumental, while his second album, 'Don't Sleep' was absolute bollocks. We had it in our store & not one person bought it. Not even the hardcore Beasties fans. He went all gangster & sounded like an idiot on it. After that he dissapeared.

"4 fly guys" was just about the only good thing on The Hurrah. I forgot about the second one. It was laughable man.

I really like the entire Hurra album. In fact, I think 4Fly Guys is the weakest track on it. ELbow Room is sick. I have his followup album but don't think I've ever actually listened to it. The Hurra deserved more attention than it got. It was simply regarded as a side Beastie project. It failed to catch on on it's own merits and was usually picked up by diehard Beastie fans only. I think Mario C produced the whole album. It has his signature style all over it.

Definetly worth picking up especially since it's become a dollar bin record.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    His first album 'The Hurrah' would have been better as an instrumental

I think I got that instrumental album somewhere... shit is mad weak!!!
    But I'm not sure if we're talkin about the same thing...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I swear I saw him in DJ Hut downtown DC this summer. Just browsing...I assumed he was doing some show in the area or working with some group.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Only thing I noticed when I heard one of his albums was the use of Proffessor & the efficiency experts "I gotta stand for something". The one that's uncredited on Kenny Dopes half of Funk Spectrum 2. Guess that's Mario Cs contribution. Somebody needs to use it for a good rapper. I'll let one of you do it.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I'll let one of you do it.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    There was even a video for his "Stick Em Up!" track off the CB4 soundtrack.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    He was Davey DMX's's DJ first & was on his album. His 1st 12" was "Superfight" with Davey D was cool. Seems to be forgotten though. And The Afros album was pretty good.

Please be serious.

I believe he was also one of the members of Solo Sound.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    I could never bring myself to buy a "Hurra" album but I can tell you from seeing him open up for the Beastie's and "DJing" a rave...straight

and let's be honest...dude could hardly do rudimentary cuts let alone anything complicated. why would he be the bomb?

• Mix Master Mike by far outshines Hurricane it's a shame that he wasn't with the group when they were making better albums.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I could never bring myself to buy a "Hurra" album but I can tell you from seeing him open up for the Beastie's and "DJing" a rave...straight

and let's be honest...dude could hardly do rudimentary cuts let alone anything complicated. why would he be the bomb?

Beastie Boys fans often retain only limited contact with musical reality. I went to high school with a group of guys whose whole identity revolved around being Beastie fanboys: their "crew" was called "the Brooklyn Dust Posse," which I think is the name of the Beasties' publishing company (we certainly did not attend school anywhere near Brooklyn); they played in a Beasties cover band; and, most embarassingly, they all agreed that that Hurricane album was a very important recording.

• There was even a video for his "Stick Em Up!" track off the CB4 soundtrack.

There was an Elbow Room video too. It might be somewhere on BeastieBoys.com