Bobby Byrd Maeco Parker

djnikolessdjnikoless 236 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
...working on my collections for these two. Here's what I have and/or know about. What are some other key joints I might be forgetting about?Bobby ByrdI Know You Got SoulKeep Doin' What You're DoinDoin The DoIf You Got A Love (Hold On To It)Sayin It And Doin It Are Two Different ThingsNever Get EnoughI Need HelpHot Pants I'm Coming...If You Don't Work You Don't ItTry It AgainSince You've Been Gone (w/James Brown)Maceo -maceopaartysoul power 74cross the trackbetter halfsister sanctifiedgot to get chasouthwickI remember mr banksfuture shockI would appreciate any

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Don't forget about

• Not on vinyl but a fun listen:

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Not on vinyl but a fun listen:

that's a dope album. i loved it in high school, but when i got to college it was the only funk CD that any wanna-be-down white frat kid had. it was right next to their Bob Marley Legend CD. i would DJ and they would ask me for "Maceo" and i know they were hoping for this album, because they didnt have any other "Maceo" albums. I'm playing records, you fucknut! ugh.

as a result, this album became sort of for me.

• DCarfagna once posted a scan of some Bobby Byrd 45 that I keep hoping he re-posts....

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    bobby byrd:

back from the dead

hang it up
    let me know

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Don't forget one of my favorite Bobby Byrd tunes:

Headquarters (Augusta, GA) - International Brothers 1975

Bobby Byrd Singles Discography

• none of the above mention this D.C. Group is

• ...working on my collections for these two. Here's what I have and/or know about. What are some other key joints I might be forgetting about?

Bobby Byrd
    I Know You Got Soul
    Keep Doin' What You're Doin
    Doin The Do
    If You Got A Love (Hold On To It)
    Sayin It And Doin It Are Two Different Things
    Never Get Enough
    I Need Help
    Hot Pants I'm Coming...
    If You Don't Work You Don't It
    Try It Again
    Since You've Been Gone (w/James Brown)

"We Are In Love," a single on Smash. Too early for funk, more like straight soul, but really good.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Here are some 45 reviews of Byrd and Parker.

BOBBY BYRD
    Back From The Dead/The Way To Get Down (International Brothers 74)
    In the 1970s Bobby Byrd bounced around a couple labels, International Brothers being one of them, a division of Florida???s T.K. label. This single represented a comeback from Byrd after he left the James Brown show. It was a bit of a hit and Byrd started touring with Bootsy Collins backing him up. After a horn intro, Back From The Dead goes into a pretty straight-forward beat that doesn???t hit you right off, but grows on you as the song progresses. Way To Get Down has a much longer intro before Byrd comes in with his singing. The song isn???t as good as the A-side.

BOBBY BYRD
    Funky Soul #1 Part 1 & 2 (King 67)
    Bobby Byrd was one of James Brown???s oldest friends. They met in 1952 when Brown came to Byrd???s school. At that time Brown was serving a jail term for grand theft auto and playing on the prison basketball squad that would compete against local schools. When Brown was paroled later that year, he stayed with Byrd???s family for a time. Later the two would go on to form a band together, with Byrd eventually becoming a solo act on the James Brown Revue. Funky Soul is on one of the James Brown Revue live albums, but the 45 is so much better. On the single there???s a really gritty Bobby Byrd Funk going on, that???s missing from the live version. A very good, and bit overlooked release by Byrd.

BOBBY BYRD
    Hang Ups We Don???t Need (The Hungry We Got To Feed)/You Gave My Heart A Brand New Song To Sing (King 70)
    Hang Ups We Don???t Need sounds a little different from most of the Bobby Byrd 45s produced by James Brown. It has a low-key rhythm section led by the guitar with some horn accents. You Gave My Heart A Brand New Song To Sing is an RnB/Soul tune with one of those Northern Soul type drumbeats to it. While it???s got a nice horn melody, overall it???s not as good as the A-side.

BOBBY BYRD
    Headquarters (Augusta, GA) (International Brothers 75)
    I don't really know about Bobby Byrd's later career. This 45 was released on International Brothers, distributed by TK Productions out of FL, and arranged and partly produced by Clarence Reid. Despite the absence of James Brown, there's still some funk in here, especially during the verses. The flip is an instrumental version of the A-side, but starts off with some open drums. Overall, a pretty banging 45.

BOBBY BYRD
    I Know You Got Soul/It???s I Who Love You (Not Him Anymore) (King 71)
    This 45 is another classic James Brown production. Bobby Byrd was Brown???s longtime sideman and co-wrote many of the Godfather???s hits. Together they penned I Know You Got Soul, which everyone should know already. It???s I Who Love You is a power ballad.

BOBBY BYRD
    I Need Help (I Can???t Do It Alone) Pt. 1 & 2 (King 70)
    I Need Help is a fast paced Funk tune with one of those great rhythms carrying it along.

BOBBY BYRD
    I???m Not To Blame/It???s I Who Loves You (Not Him Anymore) (King 70)
    I???m Not To Blame is a dramatic sounding power ballad with a loud horn line. It???s I Who Loves You is another ballad.

BOBBY BYRD
    If You Don???t Work You Can???t Eat/You???ve Got To Change Your Mind (King 70)
    James Brown had both Marva Whitney and Bobby Byrd record If You Don???t Work You Can???t Eat, which Byrd co-wrote. You???ve Got To Change Your Mind also appeared on another Byrd release on Brownstone. If You Don???t Work doesn???t have the speed and power of the Whitney version, but it???s still one damn good track. It has the trademark stripped down rhythm track and horn stabs of Brown???s other work and Byrd has a nice delivery. You???ve Got To Change Your Mind is a duet ballad between Brown and Byrd with an early 60s RnB sound to it.

BOBBY BYRD
    If You Got A Love You Better (Hold On To It)/You???ve Got To Change Your Mind (Brownstone 72)
    If You Got A Love is one of the toughest rhythms that James Brown Productions ever produced. It???s slow and grinding, a little underproduced and funky as hell. A great, great song. You???ve Got To Change Your Mind is a slow RnB ballad duet with Byrd and James Brown.

BOBBY BYRD
    Keep On Doin What You???re Doin/Let Me Know (Brownstone 71)
    Speaking of James Brown???s entourage, Bobby Byrd was one of the longest members and perhaps most accomplished male participant. His rough Soul singing can be heard on several James Brown tunes and his solo work is impeccable. Keep On Doin What You???re Doin is a mid-tempo Soul Funk tune with some nice horn work. Let Me Know is a ballad.

BOBBY BYRD
    My Concerto/Never Get Enough (Brownstone 72)
    My Concerto is a slow ballad that sounds more appropriate to the late-1950s than 1972. The real gem is the grooving Funk of Never Get Enough. It???s got one of those classic James Brown rhythms driving it along, and James even lays down the backing vocal track on the chorus and yells some encouragements to Bobby at the end. The song appeared on another 45 by Byrd the same year on Brownstone.

BOBBY BYRD
    Sayin It And Doin It Are Two Different Things/Never Get Enough (Brownstone 72)
    Sayin It And Doing It is more of the same by Bobby Byrd, strong rhythm track, horn stabs and Byrd???s great singing. James Brown wrote the song. Never Get Enough is based upon a JB???s rhythm track with back-up singing by Brown. A great 45.

BOBBY BYRD
    Signed, Sealed & Delivered (Brownstone 73)
    This was the last Bobby Byrd 45 on my want list. I gotta thank O-Dub for breaking me off a copy. Byrd gives this Stevie Wonder classic a good work over in this live recording. The energy is there with both Byrd???s singing and the band. A great little James Brown Prod. 45.

BOBBY BYRD
    Try It Again (Kwanza 73)
    By the 1970s Byrd was recording for a number of different labels. Here he appears on Kwanza, which was distributed by Warner Brothers. The sound didn???t change however, mid-tempo Funk with strong horns.

BOBBY BYRD & VICKI ANDERSON
    Here Is My Everything/Loving You (ABC 68)
    Bobby Byrd and Vicki Anderson met as part of the James Brown Revue. They fell in love and got married in 1967. Shortly afterwards Anderson quit the tour. Their duet single Here Is My Everything was their first post-Brown release. While Bobby Byrd had some fine non-Brown produced 45s, the same can???t be said for this one. Here Is My Everything is an upbeat RnB-Soul tune that sounds similar to Sam And Dave, but lacks staying power. Loving You is a power ballad.

MACEO
    Drowning In The Sea Of Love/Show And Tell (People 74)
    This 45 comes courtesy of Maceo???s US album. Drowning In The Sea of Love is a cover of the Gamble and Huff hit, but with female vocals praising Maceo. That makes for a great combination. Show And Tell is another light Soul cover.

MACEO
    Future Shock (Dance Your Pants Off ??? Part I & II) (People 75)
    For a short period of time in the mid-1970s James Brown had his own TV show called Future Shock. This 45 is the theme song to the program. As usual, Maceo and company lay down a funky rhythm track led by the horns, while singing the tune???s title and James saying ???Future shock??? over it. Overall, this is a pretty damn good tune.

MACEO & ALL THE KINGS MEN
    A Funky Tale To Tell/Dreams (Excello 72)
    Maceo Parker formed All The Kings Men after he got into an argument with James Brown and left. I thought he only recorded with the House of Fox label, which released a couple 45s and his album Doing Their Own Thing. However, I stumbled across this single at TSL and was surprised to find out that he also did some work with Excello. A Funky Tale To Tell has a jazzy big band feel to it, mixed with the Funk. It definitely has a different arrangement and sound than Maceo???s other work. That???s even truer of the flipside, Dreams, which has Maceo singing a Lounge song! It appears that Mac eo???s time away from Brown had an impact not only on his career, but his mind as well. Luckily, Maceo would rejoin the fold and later go on to work with George Clinton.

MACEO & ALL THE KINGSMEN
    Funky Women/Southwick (House Of The Fox 70)
    Funky Women and Southwick are two of the best songs off of Maceo???s Doing Their Own Thing album so it was nice to pick up this 45 with both tracks. Maceo & All The Kingsmen was formed after James Brown???s backing band got into an argument with Mr. Brown and quit. Maceo led almost the entire rhythm section on a walkout and recorded this album shortly afterwards. They hoped that their fame with Brown would rub off on their solo effort, but it didn???t and they quickly returned to the fold. Funky Women has some vocals throughout the track over a very familiar James Brown sounding rhythm. The slower groove of Southwick makes for an even funkier track.

MACEO AND ALL THE KING???S MEN
    Got To Get???cha/(I Remember) Mr. Banks (House Of The Fox 70)
    Got To Get???cha and Mr. Banks come from Maceo???s Doing Their Own Thing LP. In 1970 Maceo had a falling out with James Brown and left the group with some of its members and created his own band All The King???s Men. Got To Get???cha is a strong Funk track with singing, while (I Remember) Mr. Banks is a slow bluesy-Jazz influenced tune.

MACEO AND ALL THE KINGS MEN
    Thank You For Letting Me Be Myself Again Part One & Two (House Of Fox 70)
    In 1970 Maceo Parker left James Brown to go it alone. He formed Maceo And All The Kings Men and made a series of recordings. This is a 45 only release of the famous Sly Stone song. The band does a really nice upbeat take on the classic.

MACEO & THE MACKS
    Doing It To Death/I Can Play For (Just You & Me) (People74)
    Both of these songs come from Maceo???s Us album. The A-side is a rearrangement of the JB???s classic Doing It To Death, which was released the year before on the album of the same name. I think I like the original mix more because there???s just something missing with this rendition.I Can Play For (Just You & Me) is a mellow soul-jazz number which does little for me, although there is a short burst of wah wah guitar that sounds nice before a sax solo by Maceo.

MACEO & THE MACKS
    I Can Play For (Just You & Me) (People 74)
    This is a white label promo from Maceo???s Us album. I Can Play (For Just You & Me) is a light Dance song, that only hints at the funk in a little breakdown in the middle with some wah wah guitar and conga playing in the background that backs up a sax solo. Otherwise the song isn???t that impressive.

MACEO AND THE MACKS
    Parrty ??? Part I & II (People 73)
    Parrty is a perfect name for this song. Appearing on the Us album, the song features the soloing of Maceo Parker over a swinging rhythm track.

MACEO & THE MACKS
    Soul Power 74 ??? Part I & Part II (People 73)
    Two more off Maceo???s US LP, this is an instrumental version of James Brown???s Soul Power song. All the funky elements are there to make this a jam.

• Hey thanx a lot for the info everyone! I'm got some research/searching to do. I appreciate it.

• Georges, the record is:

The Brass Byrds "Pleasure/ Pleasure (Inst.)" (All Directions)

A Houston release, made when Byrd set up his Zaran Production company there in the early '70s.
    I'd post the pic, but I am in NYC, away from my 'puter.