Saw the OG line-up of X live (Punk Rock related)

Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Last night at the 9:30 Club in DC....Now I have seen X several times in the mid 90s with guitarist Tony Gilkyson, but never with THE MAN, OG guitarist Billy Zoom. After seeing the original band live, I can't even remember the shows I had seen previously. Is it possible to have retained the original energy of the band and add even more? They killed it, did 2 encores and covered most all the songs from Los Angeles and Wild Gift as well as the best songs from More Fun in the New World and Under the Big Black Sun.I can't recommend this highly enough if they come to your town and you are even a fair-weather fan. They were amazing. I think they are on tour to celebrate the 25th aniversary of the Los Angeles LP. Anyone seen any other rock legends that are still ?

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Dope. Last time I saw X was in 85 or 86 at the Moore Theater here in Seattle. OG lineup of Red Hot Chili Peppers opened for them. X were great. I'll have to see if they are coming to Seattle on the tour.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i saw one of the first OG lineup reunion shows in san diego in 2001... they killed it.... exene was drunk as hell, which was funny... they all sounded great... they're charging way too much for tickets, tho...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    they're charging way too much for tickets, tho...

Co-sign, but I think that's a regular deal now for all large club acts. Last time they came thru with the original lineup I passed because it was $20, and that was at least 4-5 years ago. Tix were $25 last nite.

I remember back at First Ave in Minneapolis when a show like that would have been comped to death, easy to get in free and spend all your money on beer. I guess those days are over, and DC was NEVER cheap from what I can tell(unless you wanna talk Fugazi shows).

• I'm jealous.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Anyone seen any other rock legends that are still ?

gang of four are holding it down