this looks cool

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central

From Turntablelab:

What the? Get the fungool out of here. Ridiculoso. For the designer slash music nerd (current census: just under 10 million clones out there), this book is the once a year no-wipe dookie. Enough geeky build-up, this book is features obscure 60/70s record covers from sound library collections: pop/exotica, experimental electronic, rare european jazz, and more. Chances are, you've never seen 99% of these covers, so opening this up is a definite fresh experience in the most literal sense (harder and harder to come by these days). The selections are quite spectacular, and lean on the 70s graphic/typographic style that pops Lab heads. Each page nails down the fact that we as a race, have already passed our graphic prime (cue Metallica "da-na-na-nah... sad but true.") . Full color, over 200 pages in fitting matte. Hardcover. Did I mention it comes with a CD featuring tracks from the book?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yes - and I don't even know shit about libs. Was trying to decide between this & the funk lexicon for xmas.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    yes it does! [i need that dewolfe-sun high...big time want that rarely shows up]

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Does it have ratings for the records?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I believe Sermad had a hand in this book?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

uh oh!

• Ill take copies of Pop Electronique and Mindbender Stringtronics anytime.
    Say Word.
    Hot Gfx.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

From Turntablelab:

Full color, over 200 pages in fitting matte. Hardcover. Did I mention it comes with a CD featuring tracks from the book[/b]?
    Are you pho real?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

uh oh!

DIE![/b]

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

From Turntablelab:

Full color, over 200 pages in fitting matte. Hardcover. Did I mention it comes with a CD featuring tracks from the book[/b]?
    Are you pho real?

yall havent heard all this shit yet? Libraries have been played out for a couple years now.

• I jumped on it as soon as I could. Very nice, brillant artworks choice (these italian libs are so beautiful.. and what about the whole MPI catalogue!) and pretty complete.
    The only bad words I would say about it is that it's only interesting graphicly-wise, don't buy it to know which one are good or bad: no grading about music or artists though.. it was probably not the purpose of the books anyway..

So I shut my mouth and recommend it as a brillant and rare initiative.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Paging E_Daily...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Seriuosly, I don't understand why people would buy that book or the Funk Lexicon. What's the use of books like that? Looking at nice covers? Some of the records in the pictures are really bad.

Please sonnnn me!!!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• Seriuosly, I don't understand why people would buy that book or the Funk Lexicon. What's the use of books like that? Looking at nice covers?

Please sonnnn me!!!

Why?

Why would people want to listen to music???

Sheesh, gropey grope..!

You're an odd one. SOME people APPRECIATE artwork/design just as much as music...

But asking to be sonned...? Cry for help perhaps... or you just don't capiche?

Hi!

Some of the records in the pictures are really bad.
    In your opinion.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Seriuosly, I don't understand why people would buy that book or the Funk Lexicon. What's the use of books like that? Looking at nice covers?

Please sonnnn me!!!

Why?

Why would people want to listen to music???

Sheesh, gropey grope..!

You're an odd one. SOME people APPRECIATE artwork/design just as much as music...

But asking to be sonned...? Cry for help perhaps... or you just don't capiche?

Hi!

Some of the records in the pictures are really bad.
    In your opinion.

Yeah, in my opinion. I know some of those records. I listened to them. Did you?

Oh, so it's like a book for people being interested in those covers? I didn't know. I like record covers too. I can understand if people are buying those books in order to look at covers.

How come you always think that I try to front? I was just asking. You're really really annoying me at the moment. I keep getting into arguments with Australians. Is it you or me?

• How come you always think that I try to front? I was just asking. You're really really annoying me at the moment. I keep getting into arguments with Australians. Is it you or me?

Dude, it is sooooooooooo you....

Asking to be sonned? C'mon.. Ridiculous shit.

The Library book & the Lexicon are fantastic pieces of work. Shame you can't recognise that fact.

Also sad that you have to be so negative towards so many things that others appreciate.
    Didn't get enough attention as a child?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

How come you always think that I try to front? I was just asking. You're really really annoying me at the moment. I keep getting into arguments with Australians. Is it you or me?

Dude, it is sooooooooooo you....

Asking to be sonned? C'mon.. Ridiculous shit.

The Library book & the Lexicon are fantastic pieces of work. Shame you can't recognise that fact.

Also sad that you have to be so negative towards so many things that others appreciate.
    Didn't get enough attention as a child?

when did i say that i don't recognise those books? the people putting together that stuff are amazing. i do recognise!

I won't say more. I'm really sorry if I hurt your feelings, dudey dude.

Bye! I won't return! People like idiotproof are fucking up this place. Don't need this shit! OUT!

• Ahem!!!
    Seriuosly, I don't understand why people would buy that book or the Funk Lexicon. What's the use of books like that? Looking at nice covers? Some of the records in the pictures are really bad.

Please sonnnn me!!!

Why be so negative then?

And dude don't accuse me of fucking this place up because I took umbrage with your disparaging comment. Pull your head in or **** off.

Asking to be sonned, then getting sonned, then whinging about it...
    Wuss!

Oh sorry, I don't use graemlins... Try this instead...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Am I the only one who is not excited by library records anymore? 2001-yes, 2006-no

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Am I the only one who is not excited by library records anymore? 2001-yes, 2006-no

You're not the only one.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    2006-no

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Am I the only one who is not excited by library records anymore? 1998/2000-yes, 2000/2004-no, 2005/2.....-yes

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I don't own a single library record( well...) - but that book would sure look nice on my coffee table.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

You're not the only one.

Thirded. I'm excited that some of the libraries I bought back then are paying divedends on the re-sell now. Every now and again I hear some new library piece which is great but not so often these days and I think there is a fairly thin seam of gold running through those library series and it has mostly been mined to buggery...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I never got into the Library craze, but I ordered a copy of that book. I like looking at artwork from covers and they supposedly picked out the best ones, not your typical all green KPM one for example.

And yes, it comes with a CD. It's a compilation put together by Trunk Records who released quite a frew library comps in the past.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Taking issue with someone[/b] Asking to be sonned? C'mon.. Ridiculous shit.

Mellow out, man. Grope is a good guy and entitled to his opinions. Nothing he said is at all offensive and deserving of such vitriol.

• Did I mention it comes with a CD featuring tracks from the book?

Does it have any braeks?

Somebody had to ask

• Am I the only one who is not excited by library records anymore? 2001-yes, 2006-no

I wouldn't say I'm excited like in the beginning of the whole phenomenom, but like it was way overatted (and still be sometime by the "DRAMA STRINGS" lovers) during the golden age of mid 90s, don't underrated it now! some have incredible piece of music.
    Take a Timing or IM lib, put a psyche cover instead of the generic one, say it was courtesy of an obscure UK or US psyche band (or better: the OST of an obscure movie made by an obscure band), and you can multiplicate the price by ten.

When I see the italian OG Percussion by Umiliani leaving for 200$, and just after another sound-all-the-same deep funk 45 or northen soul leave for 1000$, it almost makes me cry

Well...just a matter of taste

• Ha, then just look at the covers.
    Some of them are just too damn cool, who cares about the music when you have some great design.

The British & Euro hip hop producers where so up on them waaay before the US producers were.
    Even UK/Euro labels like Bosworth, Trunk, Irma, Plastic, Crippled Dick, Grove Attack, Schema, Black Cat, Sirocco, were putting out library comps early in the mid 90s...

I had my own store & remember the labels well. Also remember when the US djs were asking for library records compared to the UK djs. They just seemed to be up on it much earlier.

A good record is still a good record, fad or no fad.

***Trivia***
    Alan Hawkshaw (The Mohawks & king of library music) used to live down here in the 90s, in an apartment not far from where i live. He was a bit of a recluse.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Taking issue with someone[/b] Asking to be sonned? C'mon.. Ridiculous shit.

Mellow out, man. Grope is a good guy and entitled to his opinions. Nothing he said is at all offensive and deserving of such vitriol.

I hate pitching in on these things but Grope said in one breath that he didn't understand why people like these books but in the next breath said he did. Idiotproof was just picking up on that and in a fairly innocuous way. Not worth an argument either way.