Dutch Digging Delights

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Spent the weekend digging in the Netherlands whilst my girlfriend caught up with her family. Found some great stuff for next to nothing. I still think that Holland is the best place in Europe to go digging!Den HagueThis was my first real dig through The Hague???s record stores but it definitely won???t be my last. Average price on these records was 5 - 10 Euros:Opa ??? ST ??? Cool latin fusion LP that features Flora Purim on Vocals.Michael Stanley ??? ST ??? A couple of funky folky country numbers on here particularly Funky is the Drummer which features Paul Humphrey. ??? SpareAmerican Gypsy ??? ST ??? Absolute classic LP with so many good tunes inc Golden Ring, Inside Out and more. ??? SpareThe Rationals ??? ST ??? Cool psychy rock LP that has some funky interludes between tracks. ??? SpareSyrius ??? Devil???s Masqurade ??? Great funky Hungarian fusion.Thijs Van Leer ??? Love oh Love ??? Features a couple of funky breakbeat jazz tracks. ??? SpareBullet ??? The Hanged Man ??? Minty original for 5 Euros, yes please!! ??? SpareFela Kuti + Ginger Baker ??? Live ??? Ye Ye De Smell is my fav but the whole LP is funky afro biz. ??? SpareSegments of Time ??? ST ??? After someone put the track Song to the System on their mix cd I hunted down the 45 and now I???ve got the LP it comes from. Song to the System is probably on first listening still my fav but there are other cool funky soul tracks to check out.Johnny Hammond Smith ??? Soul Flowers ??? I never leave prestige stuff if its cheap enough and this is another goodie, The tracks NYPD and Dirty Apple have that funky Prestige sound.Brian Burd ??? Soul and Slow ??? Features the version of Fever, great break intro. ??? Spare.Next stop was Rotterdam where the following were purchased:Brenda Patterson ??? Like Good Wine ??? Bought this because it looked familiar, I???m sure I???ve seen it in OZ before but never got round to buying it. Funky vocals I???m hoping.Fausto Papetti ??? 11 Raccolta ??? Another guy whose LP???s are worth picking up cheap. Look out for his own compositions.Chris Williamson ??? Live Dream ??? This is on the lesbian label Olivia, another one that???s worth a punt if they???re cheap enough. Folk funkiness I???m hoping.Fela Kuti ??? Original Sufferhead ??? More Afro Funkiness.Blue Jays ??? Nascence ??? What do you Want from me Woman is One of the best funky rock tunes imo. Sampled by Nas I think. ??? SpareDavid Axelrod - Songs of Innocence ??? Not mint but listenable copy, now need to find Songs of Experience.Bollywood Soundtracks ??? Picked half a dozen from around a couple of hundred based solely on the funkiness of the sleeves, hope I got some goodies.Gun Master G9, Sannata, Kaala Patthar, Saahas, Nagin, Dhanwan, East Meets West.The following were from Demonfuzz. They didn???t cost me 10 Euros but were still bargains nevertheless.Byron Lee ??? Reggay Hot Cool and Easy ??? Great funky versions of Shaft and Hot Pants.Die Mellow Men ??? Live im Studio ??? No idea who these Germans are but they are uber funky. Anyone know this??Johnny Green and the Greenmen ??? When You???re Green your Clean ??? Funky band from Bermuda great version of GOMLW minus the break intro aswell as a couple of other funky numbers.Beat Rock and Blues ??? Great German sampler featuring the funky vocal track Kto Dogoni Wiatr.Tyree Glenn Jnr and Brain Damage ??? Live in Shalanda ??? Amazing covers of Kool and the Gang (the best) Skin Tight The Cisco Kid, Vehicle and more, again anyone know this guy????The following all came from a flea market on the outskirts of Amsterdam for 2 Euro or under!James Last ??? Hair ??? I know why buy another copy???? ??? SpareThe Duke of Burlington ??? ST ??? I???ve had the reissue of this for about 6 years now but was well chuffed to find a minty original for peanuts.The Fantastic Jimmy Smith ??? This may be a bit early but impossible to leave at this price.Jimmy Smith ??? Starring ??? See AboveThe Burlington???s ??? Rock and Slow ??? Double LP on Euro budget label featuring some odd covers Shaft and a load of Zep tunes amongst other things Black Dog, Communication Breakdown, Bron y Aur Stomp and loads more.Dennis Wilson ??? Pacific Ocean Blue ??? Bought this purely on the strength of some recommendations from Vultures.Jon Eardley ??? Jazz From the States ??? Cool funky modal track ??? Subtroyan Influence??? ??? SpareElla Fitzgerald ??? Thins ain???t What they Used to be ??? Look out for this LP, swinging arrangements of Sunny, Mas Que Nada and more. ??? SpareRuud Bos ??? Naakt Over de Schutting ??? Rare Dutch soundtrack. Bought my copy of Ebay a few months ago for considerably more than I paid for this copy. Some great funky breakbeat numbers on here. ??? SpareDe Millers ??? Songbook ??? Dutch Cabaret act (I Think) that cover Calypso Blues.Russ Henderson ??? Caribbean Carnival ??? West Indian Drums is so funky ??? Spare.Was just about to leave the fair when I spotted a couple of boxes of 45???s. Almost couldn???t be arsed to look as I was knackered after getting up at 6am. Glad I did though. Most are in great Euro picture sleeves.Respect ??? Soul Entertainer ??? Been after this for yonks.Hans Brinkler Symphony ??? The Silver fleet ??? HUGE Drums on here, great.Mohawks ??? The ChampTrifle ??? Devil Comin??? (2 Copies) ??? SparesMonkey Business ??? The Ape Planet ??? Funky Euro stuff ??? SpareUp with Donald Byrd ??? See See Rider / You???ve Been Talkin Bout me BabyRay Bryant ??? Ode to Billie JoeThe Shadows ??? Scotch on the SocksHip Tune 67 ??? Oh Susanna ??? Great anti smoking mod 45 flexi from Holland ??? SpareGrandmaster Flash ??? The MessageDe la Soul ??? Me Myself and I ??? SparePublic Enemy ??? Welcome to the TerrordomePublic Enemy ??? Shut em Down (Pete Rock Mix)Public Enemy ??? Do the Right ThingJimmy Castor ??? TroglodyteResonance ??? OK Chicago ??? SpareTom Jones ??? Looking out my WindowMelanie ??? Lay DownZen ??? Hair / Aquarius ??? SpareRamsey Lewis ??? Wade in the Water.Anyone interested in Trades let me know.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Opa ??? ST ??? Cool latin fusion LP that features Flora Purim on Vocals.

Opa is my shit! Uruguayan brothers Fattoruso were the core of the band. I celebrate their entire catalog (2 or 3 records, I think). These guys were part of Los Shakers in their youth.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Bollywood Soundtracks ??? Picked half a dozen from around a couple of hundred based solely on the funkiness of the sleeves, hope I got some goodies.

Gun Master G9, Sannata, Kaala Patthar, Saahas, Nagin, Dhanwan, East Meets West.

You're a soft 4 for 6.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Tyree Glenn Jnr and Brain Damage ??? Live in Shalanda ??? Amazing covers of Kool and the Gang (the best) Skin Tight The Cisco Kid, Vehicle and more, again anyone know this guy????

Yeah. His dad Tyree Glenn Sr. was a musician too. I think his dad recorded in the US. Glenn Jr went to Germany and recorded some dope live LPs at clubs in Germany. Some fantastic cover versions of US Funk and Jazz. That record is nice. But his early 80s releases are good too. His records are totally cheap at the moment. 2 Euros on eBay.de

All his records are on tiny labels. Probably "private pressings"

• It's true, The Hague is the place to be although stores come and go quickly and the best is only open if they feel like it. Sounds like some good finds! I wonder what markets you visited around Amsterdam to come up with a Naakt Over de Schutting.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

American Gypsy ??? ST ??? Absolute classic LP with so many good tunes inc Golden Ring, Inside Out and more. ??? Spare

love that LP

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Bollywood Soundtracks ??? Picked half a dozen from around a couple of hundred based solely on the funkiness of the sleeves, hope I got some goodies.

Gun Master G9, Sannata, Kaala Patthar, Saahas, Nagin, Dhanwan, East Meets West.

You're a soft 4 for 6.

Not sure if I understand, does that mean I got 4 good ones out of 6 or something else??

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    4 out of 6 good ones. I'm up in the air about Dharwan, that's what makes it "soft." Kaala Patthar (or Black stone) has a kick ass cover, but does not bring the funk. Gunmaster rips it. Sannata is very good as well, if you'd sell it I'm interested because I don't have a copy myself.
    Peace
    T.N.