Dinner Date in NY (NRR)

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
so this will be the wife and my first xmas together in NY. ive been out there AFTER xmas with her but this will be different. we have a bunch of stuff going on so im not exactly sure when id have the best opportunity to take her to dinner, etc. the rundown is like this:were staying in flushing.we do have access to a car.seeing a play or a performance is possible but my leg wont be happy. alternatives to hours of sitting prefered.would like a nice dinner place that doesnt have to be fancy or dress-up code style. anything under $150 for two would be fine. bomb ass food hole in the wall is also fine.type of food doesnt matter. anyway... if anyone can make an evening suggestion for the wife and i that would be appreciated. im sure ill have to call and make some dinner plans or buy tix to something or other but i wanted to take her out. just her and i. thanks! see yall in two weeks...

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    rose mexicana in columbus circle, peter luger in brooklyn. if you like hanging out with katie holmes, sushi samba 7, in the lower east side.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Asian Cuisine in Flushing/Jackson Heights is incredible. You dont have to deal w/ Manhattan Holiday crowds or $$$. I'll throw some names later.

Indian/Korean/Chinese your cup of tea?

High profile/Popular restaurant in Manhattan during the holiday iz

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    whos katie holmes?

and any style is cool... chinese is boring, definitely no mexican cause thats a weekly eat for me. i can pass on japanese food as well.

sooo... italian, vietnamese, thai, german, etc... oh and no ethiopian. sorry tsega but that food makes me nervous.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    what type of food do you prefer?

are you guys more foodie type people, or do you go to a nice restaurant for atmosphere, pampering, dining experience, etc?

would you rather have a big fat old school steak or some new school fusion shit?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    3 places in Manhattan that she enjoyed recently...

One If By Land, Two If By Sea
    http://www.oneifbyland.com/
    It's decent. $70 prix fixe. Waitstaff were very friendly. I had a $70 plate of vegetables. The chef came out and asked me about mushrooms, though, which was quite considerate. I'd avoid this neighborhood at all costs on a Saturday night.

Five Points
    http://www.fivepointsrestaurant.com/#
    I have a friend who works there, so I got "the treatment," but it looked like the regular customers were having a good time as well. The desert made me break my no sugar rule. Fucking yummy.

Freemans
    http://www.freemansrestaurant.com/
    Probably the best restaurant logo I've ever seen. Lots of taxidermy happening in this joint. Cheaper than One If By Land, I think. Kinda loud at night. The food was quite good. Way too much truffle oil on the mashed potatoes, though.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    ok prease to narrow down your cuisine preference. Off the top of my head, here are a few choices I recommend.

Les Halles - park ave location only, classic fronch brasserie fair, great quality at affordable prices. It's pronounced "lay-al", no s sound.

Aroma - I haven't had a chance to go yet but all signs points to it being quite official.

le bernardin - a little more upscale but I had to throw it in just because it is that spot. This is where it's at for seafood in the money makin......recently appointed 3 stars in the new NYC michelin guide.

and booo on the chinese is boring

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    rose mexicana in columbus circle, peter luger in brooklyn. if you like hanging out with katie holmes, sushi samba 7, in the lower east side.

Sorry b - but when it comes to sushi in NY you got to make like Bo in a wheelchair and "don't do it."

If your with Mexican food Jinx, fuck with Mexicana Mama on Hudson in the West Village. That's the shit shit shit right there. This food is surprisingly as good if not better than any shit I've had in Los Angeles.

• Some of my favorites that won't break the bank, but are very nice:

UVA (2nd ave bet. 77th and 78th Manhattan)
    Italian with wine bar - some of the best tasting food I've ever had!!

Maz (86th bet. 1st and 2nd ave Manhattan)
    Reeeeally nice Mexican - I know you're sick of it but you must try the Platanos Flameados (flaming bananas) for dessert!

Tony's deNapoli (2nd ave and 84th st.)
    Family style italian (one dish serves three), no one leaves unsatisfied.

Cafeteria in chelsea

Second on the Sushi Samba and Five Points

For a really nice dining experience that still should be a little under $150 for two, The Water Club or Blue Water Grill are both top notch.

Kitty Chai

Thai-fusion on Thompson st.

Bridge Cafe near Brooklyn bridge. One the oldest joints in NYC.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    People really eat sushi at a place called "Sushi Samba?"

From sushisamba.com:

"Only at SUSHISAMBA will you find a unique blend of Japanese, Brazilian and Peruvian cuisine, music and design."

Sounds like some REAL trendy fusion bullshit! If you want good sushi, go to a good Japanese SUSHI restaurant. I'm sayin'!

People really eat sushi at a place called "Sushi Samba?"

From sushisamba.com:

"Only at SUSHISAMBA will you find a unique blend of Japanese, Brazilian and Peruvian cuisine, music and design."

Sounds like some REAL trendy fusion bullshit! If you want good sushi, go to a good Japanese SUSHI restaurant. I'm sayin'!

Co-sign.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

That's the only sushi that matters right there.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    3 top notch sushi joints in nyc..........and no they're not cheap.

sushi yasuda - yasuda is well known for his dedication to rice, his rice is 2nd to none in the city.

Masa - $350 omakase, that's the way players play....

kurumazushi - supposedly they have the best fish quality/selection in the city but I have yet to be able to splurge $$$$$

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Way too much truffle

Generally speaking, it is not possible to have too much truffle anything. There are of course some really mediocre truffle oils where the "truffle" in the oil has little, if anything, to do with melanosporum or magnatum. If you suffered one of these then I understand. If not, please to send me any future truffles and truffle products.

No, no truffles in Fredericton.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    ok prease to narrow down your cuisine preference. Off the top of my head, here are a few choices I recommend.

Les Halles - park ave location only, classic fronch brasserie fair, great quality at affordable prices. It's pronounced "lay-al", no s sound.

Aroma - I haven't had a chance to go yet but all signs points to it being quite official.

le bernardin - a little more upscale but I had to throw it in just because it is that spot. This is where it's at for seafood in the money makin......recently appointed 3 stars in the new NYC michelin guide.

Not a single one of these restaurants will allow a couple to dine comfortably for $150.

Not a single one of these restaurants will allow a couple to dine comfortably for $150.

LOL! True indeed Danno, true indeed. A bottle of wine and the tip will be over $150.00!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    les halles you can certainly do under $150.

aroma maybe

le bernardin definitely not, but I mentioned that already.

les halles you can certainly do under $150.

aroma maybe

le bernardin definitely not, but I mentioned that already.

While we are talking about places WAY over $150.00 for dinner, Per Se is the spot.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

Anyone been to the Spotted Pig, the pub that surprised everyone by getting a star in Michelin? I've been curious since the rankings came out.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I haven't been but Batali owns a piece of the action there......

dude sounded mad salty when the ratings came out, even though two of his spots got a star each.

Fuck a Restaurant.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I'll raise you....

• Options
    Freemans
    http://www.freemansrestaurant.com/
    Probably the best restaurant logo I've ever seen. Lots of taxidermy happening in this joint. Cheaper than One If By Land, I think. Kinda loud at night. The food was quite good. Way too much truffle oil on the mashed potatoes, though.

I can second this.

• if you feel like staying in queens for dinner piccola venezia is that shit

I'll raise you....

GULLY

• Paul, you should check out Rizzo's on 21st Ave. Easy to miss

Freeman's is cool but I can never remember how to get there because they always blindfold me about a block away

• 21st & which street?
    usually when i'm in that part of astoria i'm blunted & walking around with my boy marko and we just dip into uncle george's on broadway and get the lamb
    oh yeah greek seafood spot on ditmars goes harddd as fuck too

• do you ever go to Bar? Corny scene but the cypriot food is pretty much on mash

rizzos is 21st Street and... 31st Ave? a couple blocks up from Broadway

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    like steak???

best filet mignon in the city:

Sosa Borella
    Greenwich St., Tribeca

• East Village restaurants to hit whilst record-shopping -

Orologio - Itialian on Ave. A bet. 10 and 11st.

7A (on 7 and A) - american, italian, a wide variety, like a nicer diner, 24hrs.

any of the indian places on 6th st. bet 1st and 2nd Ave, most feature $8 fixed price menu and live sitar and tabla players - especially Raj Mahal .