Are albums collectible?

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Craig's List post of the week:RE: Albums for sale in Springfield --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Reply to: see belowDate: 2005-12-02, 10:54PM ESTThese records sold millions of copies. What makes you think they are "collectible?" Everyone over the age of 40 has these vinyl records taking up valuable space. I'd be more likely to pay someone to haul mine away! no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests 115422871

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    good for you Neville! you tell 'em!

• for sale:

raer micheal jackson thriller, herb alpbert and the tijuana brass- whipped cream and other delights, christopher cross- self titled, and cyndi lauper's- she's so unusual.

i also have these unheard of records for cheep:

salt- hung up (it's a small record), and some other small ones. i'm getting rid of these to make room for my new serato.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    for sale:

raer micheal jackson thriller, herb alpbert and the tijuana brass- whipped cream and other delights, christopher cross- self titled, and cyndi lauper's- she's so unusual.

salt- hung up (it's a small record), and some other small ones. i'm getting rid of these to make room for my new serato.

small ones are cheaper, always.

• for sale:

small ones are cheaper, always.

At one local flea my friend Harry has some of the vendors trained to sell us 12"s for less than albums because they "only have one song on them."

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

At one local flea my friend Harry has some of the vendors trained to sell us 12"s for less than albums because they "only have one song on them."

One day, at the Montevideo (Uruguay) flea market I found an (don't laugh) ABBA maxi that is known to be raer in the world of ABBA collectros. It was priced like an LP. I told the guy "man, this has only 3 songs". He said "That's right, sorry, I didn't pay attention when I priced it". So I left with the record for a couple of pesos and his apologies.

ps: No, that record is not in my collection

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I've both heard that line and used it, although I think I said it more politely like, "How do you price these singles... considering they only have one song on each side."

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I've both heard that line and used it, although I think I said it more politely like, "How do you price these singles... considering they only have one song on each side."

I feel you, but you can't be polite on this side of the world's flea markets. Polite = money. You have to be MACHO ABOUT YOUR MUSIC (tm) when talking to local dealers

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Where do you live?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Buenos Aires, Argentina.

• i bought an archie bell U.S. 45 in amongst a lot of british 45's at a flea market in the uk for less than a bar of chocolate because 'sorry that one's not very good, the hole in the middle is too big, i don't know why people do that to records'. thanks very much see you again i hope...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

yup, this works most times

if the seller has in inkling of what they're selling, they will usually price accordingly:

if LPS are $2 and up
    12"s $1

or something like that

long live sellers,
    M