TOP SUGARHILL HOUSE BAND BEATS

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Okay, I'm in the right place with this now. Just the music, not the raps:1. Busy Bee- Makin' Cash Money2. Sugarhill Gang- Sugarhill Groove3. Sequence- Funk You Up4. Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five- Scorpio (the funkiest electro jam ever)5. Positive Force- We Got The FunkHONORABLE MENTION:Sequence- Funky Sound (Tear The Roof Off) (only the intro part though)Good musicians and all, but on the real most of that schitt was a wack facsimile of the real schitt. Shoulda just let the deejays cut up the real breaks instead of getting studio musicians to replay schitt.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Honorable mention: Sugarhill Gang "Passion Play"

Also, doesn't The Sugar Hill Band = All Platinum Band = Wood Brass & Steel? If so then I would have to nominate "Funkanova" as well.

Oh yeah, hi everybody.

• off subject.. but i got a bunch of crates while walking down the street from this lady in philly throwing out her records. She had most of the sugarhill catalogue in there.

The red labels are the og's correct?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    off subject.. but i got a bunch of crates while walking down the street from this lady in philly throwing out her records. She had most of the sugarhill catalogue in there.

The red labels are the og's correct?

Someone told me that back in the day people would throw out all their Sugarhill records every 6 months. you could walk down St Marks and pick them off the street. Ah, the good old days!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

3. Sequence- Funk You Up

So good. Are there any decent pressings of this? Mine all sound weak.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

3. Sequence- Funk You Up

So good. Are there any decent pressings of this? Mine all sound weak.

I have a single sided 12" that sounds good.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SHOWDOWN

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Just the music, not the raps:

1. Busy Bee- Makin' Cash Money
    2. Sugarhill Gang- Sugarhill Groove
    3. Sequence- Funk You Up
    4. Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five- Scorpio (the funkiest electro jam ever)
    5. Positive Force- We Got The Funk

Good musicians and all, but on the real most of that schitt was a wack facsimile of the real schitt. Shoulda just let the deejays cut up the real breaks instead of getting studio musicians to replay schitt.[/b]

I think about it once -or twice- a year...
    But Phill, I'm with the musicians, I like how they replayed shits, I also like the sound, the mixes, the reverb...

Honorable mention: Sugarhill Gang "Passion Play"

Hi Cosmo.

-

Bapt

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'll take your word for it on the relative merits of the Sugarhill beats vs. that real schitt, but I used to like a lot of those records. Here are five favourites of mine;

Funky 4+1 - That's The Joint (best "Got To Be Real" replay evar)

Mean Machine - Disco Dream (I think that was it - the "Peanut Butter" beat, anyway)

Sequence - Funk You Up (Massive Attack sampled this on their remake of "Any Love")

Crash Crew - We Want To Rock (damn if I can remember what this is a replay of)

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - It's A Shame ("Mt. Airy Groove")

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Funky 4+1 - That's The Joint (best "Rescue Me" replay evar)

Funky 4+1 - That's The Joint (best "Rescue Me" replay evar)

I need to listen to that again.

• Sugarhill Gang "Giggalo (sic) Dance"-- anybody know what they're replaying? It's the same as the Super 3 "Philosophy Rappin Spree."

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Mean Machine - Disco Dream (I think that was it - the "Peanut Butter" beat, anyway)
    i thought this was a replay of "pull up to the bumper"?

• I always thought that the Crash Crew stuff was always played and arranged very well; We Want To Rock, Breakin' Bells, and On The Radio. "It's The Joint" is really good too.

What's that Busy Bee "Making Cash Money" a replay of?

• Mean Machine - Disco Dream (I think that was it - the "Peanut Butter" beat, anyway)

it's the "pull up to the bumper" larry levan mix I believe. Which I've been wondering is that on 12"? and how difficult is it to come by?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    What's that Busy Bee "Making Cash Money" a replay of?

James Brown "Funky President"

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    that busy bee funky president flip is slammin. that break from the super three/gigolo dance is rugged...anyone know the origin of that? actually the super three's house band was fly- their before i let go groove on when you're standing on top is the move.

• I'll take your word for it on the relative merits of the Sugarhill beats vs. that real schitt, but I used to like a lot of those records.

Nah, I liked most of those records too. It's not like we had a lot to choose from back then. But like I always say, the live tapes were what it was really REALLY about back in those days according to the real headz who knew the deal (and, of course, I am one of those headz). You guys are just gonna have to trust me on that one, since not many on this board outside of me were actually down and around back in that era.
    Plus, I just like to stir things up by hollarin' about "that real schitt" because I know what will inevitably ensue as dudes line up to proclaim their undying love for that which I have not deemed "that real schitt". This actually gives me titillations of a degree far beyond anything most humans can even imagine.

Mean Machine - Disco Dream

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that one. Definitely one of the best Sugarhill beats, and also IMO one of the most underrated old school rap records. From what I remember, that was one of the first joints outside of Rapper's Delight that got a lot of daytime radio play in NYC. I think some people looked at them as being fake rappers like the Sugar Hill Gang because they weren't one of the big groups on the street level. But those dudes got down on that record! When hommie came in with the "sure shockin' body rockin' finger poppin'" fast rap over that Grace Jones break replay and then when the other hommie bust the Spanish rap... yo, that was . Never understood why dudes didn't come out with more records on Sugahill, although my cousin saw them live and he told me they performed another song that was

Crash Crew "Breakin' Bells" was my schitt, too (but of course that kind of schitt just ain't f**kin' with "Hi Powered Rap", which is undeniably the realest schitt you will ever hear in your life).

OK, now this raises an interesting question (which I could probably answer myself if I bothered to dig the records out), and that is, which was first? "Pull Up To The Bumper" or "Peanut Butter"? I know they were both on the same rhythm, but I always thought the Gwen Guthrie tune was the earlier, and the Grace Jones tune was a version.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    OK, now this raises an interesting question (which I could probably answer myself if I bothered to dig the records out), and that is, which was first? "Pull Up To The Bumper" or "Peanut Butter"? I know they were both on the same rhythm, but I always thought the Gwen Guthrie tune was the earlier, and the Grace Jones tune was a version.

they arent the same tune at all.

• actually the super three's house band was fly- their before i let go groove on when you're standing on top is the move.

sugarhill version of before i let go (crash crew: do you want to rock?) is dope as well.

i'll have to nominate funky 4 + 1 "the mexican" too. the intro is just great.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Mean Machine - Disco Dream
    these guys were in thier acceptence of different lifestyles:"if your half,straight, or even gay,we got the groove that'll make your day."

• What's that Busy Bee "Making Cash Money" a replay of?

James Brown "Funky President"

Yeah, I know that is there but is that it is. It's the same thing that Spoonie uses for "Spoonie Is Back" and Ghostface use for "Wicked With Lead". Is it from a longer version of "Funky President" because my 45 doesn't have that main part or is it just the way they are replaying it? Am I buggin out!?

• Funky Four "Do You Wanna Rock"

Positive Force "We Got The Funk"

Sequence "Funk You Up" (even the "all mids" pressing..still hype!)

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    BOMP!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    top notch thread. knowledge dropped from far away. always rocked the instrumentals from these 12's, now I have to listen harder. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Blue sugarhill sleeves here I come, by far the easiest sleeve to find in your collection or out hunting.

• Phill With 2 Ls said:

1. Busy Bee- Makin' Cash Money

why this & not Spoonie Is Back? ;)