Sleepless in Sacramento(Weekend Digs Related)

Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
So I had to make a mad dash across the US for work, and come out to our Western Regional Office in Sacramento from DC. I am sitting here at the Best Western on 11th and H St downtown, watching Silence of the Lambs on cable. But earlier I was fortunate to have 2 decent vinyl shops within walking distance of my hotel. Nice weather, free grub(nice Thai place around the corner) courtesy of the company expense account, and a relaxing evening of vinyl digging....ahhh, yes, after a crazy day, it feels nice to finally relax.So here's what I found:The Amazing Bud Powell Vol. 1 & 2Randy Weston Trio-Get Happy (japanese press)Kenny Dorham-Blue Spring(later press)Walt Dickerson Quartet(w/Sun Ra)-Impressions of a Patch of BlueHonk-5 Summer Stories(this I got for John Book--look for a PM soon, bro)Sonny Rollins-More From the Vanguard -Blue Note 2LPCal Tjader-Greatest Hits Vol 2 1966 Mono on FantasyLonnie Smith-Move Your Hand -Blue NoteCurtis Mayfield-Something to Believe Inand the weird one:Folkways Record FP86-1Radio Programme/No.1 Audio Collage/Henry Jacob's Music & FolkloreLoop 2 Channel Rhythyms.InterviewsSonata for Loudspeaker So who can tell me what the hell this is? Pearson? I'm looking in your direction.Econo-stool bloodshitter? Oh, and if anyone checks out the Beat on 17th and J, don't bother with their racks of "rare vinyl"(better labled 'same old stuff') and head to the back of the store for decent deals and better selection. I left behind stuff that normally would have picked up on GP, it was so cheap, and I know folks look for it. That's all I'm gonna say. They had that Lonnie Smith Blue Note back there for $5.98.

Comments

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    "Locust Music continues its foray into the many sided head of Henry Jacobs with the re-release of his coveted 1955 Folkways debut. Culled from hours and hours of bits from his weekly radio program 'Music & Folklore' which originally aired on Berkeley's once revolutionary KPFA radio station, Radio Programme No. 1: Henry Jacobs' Music & Folklore is a stunningly surreal sonic goulash of brilliantly conceived, tight rhythmic loops & tape collages, ethnic and experimental musics, twisted satirical interviews with Shorty Petterstein (Henry's beat hipster alter ego), phony academic authorities (the muttering Jocko on Raga and politics, imagined Hebrew scholar Sholem Stein waxing bogus on the subject of calypso!) to Berkeley field recordings of Kay Dunham (nephew of the legendary Katherine Dunham) and friends getting lost in an informal drumming session. This is, no doubt, an essential document in the annals of early American oddball recordings."

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    I am sitting here at the Best Western on 11th and H St downtown, watching Silence of the Lambs on cable. But earlier I was fortunate to have 2 decent vinyl shops within walking distance of my hotel. Nice weather, free grub(nice Thai place around the corner) courtesy of the company expense account, and a relaxing evening of vinyl digging....ahhh, yes, after a crazy day, it feels nice to finally relax.

I was confused and thought you meant you were at a hotel at 11th and H downtown in DC and was like "what record stores you hitting down there? And why are you at a hotel in DC? And are you sure it's a Best Western?"

Picked up a lot of records yesterday. Been a good record week. My favorite few things

Fast Eddie - Jack to the Sound LP (super mint=super exciting)
    Penthouse Players Clique - They Don't Know/Droppen Bombs 12"
    Arabian Prince - She's Got a Big Posse 12"
    Limelife - Cause You're Right on Time/I Wanna Go Bang 12" (Todd Terry production)
    Rythm Mod D - So Damn Tough 12"
    2 Men, A Drum Machine & a Trumpet - Tired of Getting Pushed Around 12"
    Sine - Rotation 12"
    Bad Boy Posse - Break North/Gimme The Mic 12" (what's up with this record? It's real good. One on sale here for eight pounds
    Bose - Don't Knock it 'til You Try It 12"
    Emma - Free Me 12"
    Tipica 73 - Candela LP (tight!)
    Roy Ayers - Red Black and Green LP
    Was (Not Was) - WHITE PEOPLE CAN'T DANCE 12"
    Zan - House You 12" with an amazing photo cover
    Model 500 - Sound of Stereo 12"

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Only a couple of things from the thrift...

Undisputed Truth "You + Me + Love" / "Let's Go Down To The Disco" 12" single (Whitfield, 76)

Unknown Asian record on Mayar. Don't know what country or year it's from because it came without the cover. Mostly easy listening and middle of the road kind of stuff. Has a groovy flute and organ instrumental

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

got this one AP?

im tryin to cop the other volumes if they're any good

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I have a few different volumes, they're all really similar. Cool shit but not really raer. You could probably find a cheap one buy it now on the bay.

yeah, didn't think it was raer, just seemed like some AP type bloodshitting stuff. theres some cheap ones on the bay right now.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    slept in ruff week, lagged on funksnotdead, got to ******************** mad late...
    spent 15$ got a ton a 45's for a change...

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I am sitting here at the Best Western on 11th and H St downtown, watching Silence of the Lambs on cable.

The Movers "Bump Jive" (City Special, 74)...Two instrumental record, both 14 minutes long, from Mozambique. Both have an off-kilter reggae groove to them. The title track is guitar and sax led, but I like the flip, "Special Job", with an organ.

Oliver Nelson and Steve Allen "Soulful Brass" (Impulse)

Nadine Jansen Trio "Plays 9 Live Ones From The Fat Cat" (Jantone)...From Scottsdale, Phoenix, Arizona. Cool versions of "Ms. Robinson" and "Sunny".

Sound Foundation S/T (Smobro)

Harold Dumont "Sings Duke Ellington" (Cleemo, sealed, double)...Private press from Maplewood, NJ. "It Don't Mean A Thing", "Mood Indigo", etc. done funky

The New Heavenly Echoes "The World Needs Love" (BRP)...Los Angeles-based soulful gospel which gets somewhat funky

Booker T. & The MG's "Melting Pot" (not pictured)

nice find on that Sound Foundation

im tryin to holler at that Harold Dumont too man

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

The Movers "Bump Jive" (City Special, 74)...Two instrumental record, both 14 minutes long, from Mozambique. Both have an off-kilter reggae groove to them. The title track is guitar and sax led, but I like the flip, "Special Job", with an organ.

I'm pretty sure they were actually a south african group.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Took a short road trip up to the MA North Shore, to one of my favorite spots, and came up with some goodies:

The Howard Roberts, Gene Russell (yes!), and Upsetters were all in back room unpriced stacks, all were priced at $5 when I asked...the Stones is a mono like in the photo but also has an awful cover like in the photo, the Starr was a mint shrinkwrap copy, the Earland was a minty copy for under $10...oh, and by the way, that dollarbincommon Eleventh House record fucking rules!!![/b]
    (ps the Holloway was a later press , but was a nice cheap sealed copy...)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ok -- so i got a call from this one guy i know who is a hookup of mine who sets up at a local flea market.he is this oddball middle-aged guy. strange, but very friendly.
    he goes to auctions. that;s all he does. so he told me he would have these records for me to go through this weekend.

fortunate enough for me his records are super clean -- he is also super cheap -- because i am also super cheap! super!
    also -- a lot came from the one guy, but some also came from a couple of other vendors.
    also weird, because some of the stuff i got had to come from the collection of a digger/dj--because-- well-- read below and you'll figure out.

all records 50 cents to 1.00 each--(unless noted)

Pucho and the Latin Soul Brothers -- super freak lp (og private press on zanzee. awesome, killer record. funk. early 70s. super raer!)

anthony braxton creative music orchestra -- rbn ---- 3 degrees K12 (3xlp box set. 1972. ring records)
    anthony braxton -- saxophone improvisations/series f. lp (1976 inner city records)

ornette coleman trio -- at the golden circle stockholm vol. one (og. blue note . 2nd copy)

dr. octagon -- s/t (2xlp. bulk. 1995)
    mf doom --s/t 12" ep (3 songs--dead bent, gas drawls, hey!, 3 instro versions of those songs)
    u-ziq -- urmur bile trax volume 1 12" ep

new order -- 1981- 1982 (factus 8) -- (early 5-song ep.1982.)
    medium medium -- the glitterhouse lp (1981. cherry red)

culture -- two sevens clash lp (og joe gibbs)
    louise bennett -- miss loou's views lp ("a pot-pourri of typical and topical jamaianc happenings in the dialect of louise bennett as related by "auntie rochie" -- jamaican lady does spoken word poetry/ramblings in a very fast patois -- with backing music by byron lee--federal records)

shuggie otis -- inspiration information lp

roland kirk -- the inflated tear lp
    rahshaan roland kirk -- natural black inventions: root strata lp
    eddie harris -- excursions 2xlp (2nd copy)
    eddie harris -- electrifyin' lp
    charles mingus -- s/t (early 70s prestige)
    red garland quintet w/ john coltrane and donald byrd -- jazz junction 2x lp (70s prestige)
    jimmy owens -- s/t lp
    eddie henderson -- sunburst (soul jazz funk. blue note)
    zawinul -- s/t lp
    larry coryell -- barefoot boy lp (flying dutchman. 1971)

this is fiji -- authentic fijian music lp (new zealand record label called viking--1963)
    mongo santamaria & his latin jazz orch. "free spirit" (espiritu libre)

allen ginsburg -- the lion for real lp

v/a: short circuit : live at the electric circus 10" ep (2nd copy. joy division, buzzcocks, drones, the fall, john cooper clark, steel pulse)

ultimate spinach -- behold & see lp (og. psych pop)

2 manfred mann lps
    roxy music -- s/t lp
    t. rex -- tanx (2nd copy)
    t. rex -- light of love lp

dr. j.r. kool and the other roxannes -- the complete story of roxanne.. the album lp
    fresh 3 mc's -- heave your hear/a few minutes more 12" (profile. 83)
    fingerprintz -- distinguishing marks lp
    split enz -- mental notes lp

urgh! a music war 2xlp (5th copy?? to resell)
    lots of stuff to resale like -- -- devo ( w.poster), bad 70s boogie rock groups i never heard of before and don't want to hear again, mediocre soul records)

there is more -- some of my fave finds of the weekend are still yet to come!

nice find on that Sound Foundation

im tryin to holler at that Harold Dumont too man

word, it's got this nice rock/latin/funk thing kinda happening

oh yo and I coped the flasher OST for "mad cheap in the field".

I'm pretty sure they were actually a south african group.

What's their other stuff like? I'm unfamiliar with them.