Christians and their crazy music

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
It seems that a lot of interesting psych records are Christian. Why is it that evangelical Christians were drawn to fuzz guitars? How come jonathan and charles is so much better than jars of clay?

On a related note, I made the mistake of discussing the complexities of dating a bisexual women in front of some of my colleagues this afternoon. Just when I thought I was starting to adjust to life in Fredericton I was rudely reminded that hello, small town Canada is it not Montreal. A couple of guys have now completely written me off to the lake of fire. Fortunately, like them I've been studying my Jack Chick tracts...

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Here's one reason.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    That does a pretty good judge of explaining things. Thanks.

• Trade me that copy of Causares and your Karmic earnings will help you avoid the ghastly pain of the lake of fire*

*it makes a fiery ring bound by wild desire.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    That does a pretty good judge of explaining things. Thanks.

I live fairly close to the JPUSA headquarters in Chicago. Cats were running shit back in the late '60s-early '70s. Pre-Keith-Green stylee.

• dude is that meatloaf in your avatar? just wondering...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Trade me that copy of Causares and your Karmic earnings will help you avoid the ghastly pain of the lake of fire*

That Causares record is hotter than chimi-churri

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Ha. Goyim.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    dude is that meatloaf in your avatar? just wondering...

Nope, that's me.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

those kids need some sleep...

• Trade me that copy of Causares and your Karmic earnings will help you avoid the ghastly pain of the lake of fire*

Chimi-Churri

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Trade me that copy of Causares and your Karmic earnings will help you avoid the ghastly pain of the lake of fire*

Chimi-Churri

The world would be a miserable place without chimi churri.

• My theory about Christian psych (xian) has been that as Christians were trying to win converts in the 1960's they got trippy in an effort to be hip and attractive to the youth. Hard to compete against free love and drugs so throw in some fuzz guitars and go further out than the heathens. Most of the Christian psych records
    I have are a year or two behind trend-wise than their non-Christian counterparts.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    My theory about Christian psych (xian) has been that as Christians were trying to win converts in the 1960's they got trippy in an effort to be hip and attractive to the youth. Hard to compete against free love and drugs so throw in some fuzz guitars and go further out than the heathens. Most of the Christian psych records
    I have are a year or two behind trend-wise than their non-Christian counterparts.

Spot on assessment. Plus, some of those dudes really were on the fringe.

• The reality is more interesting than all that -- a lot of these people really were freaks and not adopting freak styles in an attempt to sell Christianity; it's just who they were. What's fascinating to me is that these folks were at war with the prevailing wisdom of the church and they were battling to reform it, not to make it more palatable for outsiders but to make it a scene where they thought Jesus would want to hang if he happened to show up. Listen to the title track on The Agape Factory by Tom Belt and the God Unlimited Singers and you'll see exactly what I mean in this sort of very blatant parable of the church as a cold, gray, boring factory. The idea of people taking on the church from the inside today... unthinkable.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Jesus had psych moves.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Jesus had psych moves.

Amen