Will there be a holiday Heatrock??? charity drive?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I think this would be a good idea - pick a few charities, donate some heatrocks, maybe find another matching donor. Get some records. Feel good. Love love.

Comments

• Who would administer it though? Asprin and Bam did an amazing job, but I gathered it was a lot of work.

• if we make this happen, there's someone who's in dire straits I'd like considered...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    After watching the recent 60 minutes report on Pakistan, I felt really moved to send money their direction. I am down to contribute heat.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Who would administer it though? Asprin and Bam did an amazing job, but I gathered it was a lot of work.

Did? It's not over yet. We're still looking for a match on the remaining ~$5,000. Holler.

I think it's a great idea. It's a lot of work. But it's worth it.

Ferrari and I exchanged a couple PMs about an idea that sounds great. Where's he? And aschrock offered his programming services.

We need:
    --A payment alternative to Paypal
    --Better bidding guidelines (increments, sniping, shipping costs, etc.)
    --A relational database for tracking/reconciling auction and payment
    --A 503(c)(3) (Asprin and I will be a non-profit in '06)
    --To find a charitable organization that pleases everyone (ARC dissent was strong)
    --Concise ground rules (some folks thought mine were too long)

I'm game to help, but I am under the weight, so I can't facilitate it. Someone step up please.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I like the idea of this. I've also liked the idea of installing auction software on soul strut with more specialized focus on records and better rates / more perks than eBay. The Heatrock is a great way to kick it all off and can become a regular thing.

• I like the idea of this. I've also liked the idea of installing auction software on soul strut with more specialized focus on records and better rates / more perks than eBay. The Heatrock is a great way to kick it all off and can become a regular thing.

Yeah, the heatrocks were so well received we should do this more often. But take some of the load off er*c & ts%ga.

I did some investigating and found a few packages out there for auctions. Let me dig up the links.

If eric does the DB I could handle the php. Let's powow, I've got some time this next month between semesters.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I've also liked the idea of installing auction software on soul strut with more specialized focus on records and better rates / more perks than eBay.

This would be nuts, though do you think the price of things would get hashed out to market value if there are less people viewing the auction? That would be the only downside if at all.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I've also liked the idea of installing auction software on soul strut with more specialized focus on records and better rates / more perks than eBay.

This would be nuts, though do you think the price of things would get hashed out to market value if there are less people viewing the auction? That would be the only downside if at all.

That's been my hesitation to begin with. eBay is a mighty force to reckon with. I would have to offer a lot of incentives like free reserves and reasonably priced starting bids to peak any interest. Free Buy it Now type steelos.

Also.. eventually I will revamp the classifieds to be more automatic and have better functionality.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Ferrari and I exchanged a couple PMs about an idea that sounds great. Where's he? And aschrock offered his programming services.

Man... I really wanted to make something happen, but as always I got too busy and this got pushed back.

Basically, I've been kicking the idea of starting a non profit company with my roommate for quite some time now. When the Heatrock's came about, I thought that was the amswer so I started figuring out some logistics. We got some books on starting non profits and I was going to start the coding of it.

Then he got a new job and I got promoted and we have both been so ridiculously busy that we haven't made it very far on this. I started to have more grandiose plans for the company and went back to the drawing board. Charity auctions would be one feature among hopefully many. Something like this would involve more resources and planning that neither of us really have right now.

With that said, the holidays are really too close to get something substantial going with Bam's list of requirements. A relatively simple database driven app could take care of the tracking portion and bidding guidelines, but it couldn't go any further than that. Plus, integrating that with Soulstrut would require some coordination with Raj.

I'm also down to help, but am pressed for time until the holidays. It would be a great thing to setup, though, so I'll do what I can if it's something folks really want to get it going. Word,

DJ Ferrari

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I just wanna say as a person who works a lot with fundraising and charities (I run a foundation that supports a shantytown community center in Peru)
    (I came to this site as the auctions we're ending)

I simply wanted to congradualte you all on your efforts. The sum ammased is incredible and the sponatneous and efficient way it was raised is a testament to the great community that is ss

Bravo!

• I've also liked the idea of installing auction software on soul strut with more specialized focus on records and better rates / more perks than eBay.

That's been my hesitation to begin with. eBay is a mighty force to reckon with. I would have to offer a lot of incentives like free reserves and reasonably priced starting bids to peak any interest. Free Buy it Now type steelos.

Also.. eventually I will revamp the classifieds to be more automatic and have better functionality.

That's a good idea. eBay is annoying as fuck but they drive the traffic. However, if you really got it rolling (especially with the base viewership of the site) it could really take it on. True, there are millions of people on eBay, but how many of them are looking for funk records at any given time?

But yeah, start it off cheap and lure them in. You could also get everyone to put a link in their eBay auctions coming back here.