Ollie Nightningale, Giles must've missed it :yao:

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Giles was a day or two early.Spent the day dealing with people who smelled like Blue Liquid Boat Toilet and poopy pants, but in the end I walked away with Ollie for $8.78 . And now I offer it up to you. Anyone else stop by the Surplus today? A few other finds but it took alllllll day to sort. pm with trades/offers....

Comments

• did you find anything else worthwile? i haven't been to their sales in a minute. the prices have gotten so high over the years, that i rarely bother with that whole chaotic backdrop of old dudes with bad hygiene looking for mono ny press blue notes.

• you should've heard the two old dudes arguing in the classical section. I never wanted to slap the shit out of the elderly before, it is definately a wierd sensation.

the pricing has gotten veeeerrrry strange at the surplus. it's like the dude pricing is trying to hit "diggers" in the pocketbook by pricing Instant Funk at forty dollars but letting alot of stuff slide that is a little off the radar. Been picking up good stuff from Dynamic Artists up in there for some strange reason. Today I purchased:

Ollie Nightingale (Pride)
    The Waller Family (Dynamic Artists)
    Richard Dimples Fields 'Spoiled Rotten' (DRK)
    Hustlers Convention $17 dollars mint (???)
    Rimshots 'Down TO Earth' (stang)
    Juicy Lucy
    and a Great soul record I can't name cause it's in the MPC as we speak.

Saw a bunch of CRAP that was waaaay overpriced, but paid hardly anything for the stuff I got. Then I ate at Tomy's. Ahh the westside.

• Hustlers Convention $17 dollars mint (???)

there's always that one dude pricing records that lets raers slide by for cheap (i think it's that older skinny bearded dude, i forget his name...). but that's a rarity in itself, as of late.

• Yeah, I had to look twice at that one, if anything had obviously "value" to a digger, I would go with the record called "hustlers convention" played by Kool and The Gang. Now the KATG Open Sesame 12" they had priced at 43$ is a different story all together.

Interesting to see Surplus put up a Psych record with a 450$ price tag on it. I never would have thought I'd see the day back when we used to shave pennies down to put them in the old school Santa Monica meters for a day's worth of free parking/digging and CTI galore...

But Tomy's was still on point with the turkeyburger.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It figures you start this thread, as I left a $1 copy of the Ollie Nightingale record behind at a show last week. I mean, it was really trashed, but you just don't pass on copies of raer gems for $1. Don't ask what I was thinking, except I pulled out the vinyl, lifted my nose and sniffed at the air, and even mumbled out loud, " *gasp* ...trashed!" And put it back in disgust. I have been bumming about it ever since. I mean, it was a dollar.