How OG do you need OG's to be?

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
OK, so we've gone over how reissues (bootlegs) suck, but as those how know know, there are many shades of grey with OG's. For instance...

Do you need an OG to be from it's country of origin? Or, is a US press of a, say, Brittish record sufficient if available? What if the US version was pressed 2 years after the UK version?

How about label variations? Let's say the OG is on Warner & was first pressed with the warner 7 arts logo, but was later pressed with the shield... and even later pressed with the palm trees?

How about , say, Blue Notes?

What about promos?

I know most of you don't care, and really I don't either. Just thought it was an interesting topic that many reissue hatters probably don't think much about.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    If you are after sound, I think you want the country of origin first pressing, because it's the closest you get to first generation tapes.

Some people say promos sound better, because they usually were pressed in the first batch. I think.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If you are after sound, I think you want the country of origin first pressing, because it's the closest you get to first generation tapes.

good point. unless it's a country/label notorious for crappy pressings.

• If you are after sound, I think you want the country of origin first pressing, because it's the closest you get to first generation tapes.

true. depends on the record, to be honest. as nice as microgroove monos sound, I'll sell 'em in a heartbeat if I get good enjoyment from a liberty press.

I used to love US pressings of brazilian records until i started comparing them side to side and found the US mixes to be much different

true. depends on the record, to be honest. as nice as microgroove monos sound, I'll sell 'em in a heartbeat if I get good enjoyment from a liberty press.

that's the thing - I usually can not afford to keep true OGs of expensive shit if a somewhat later press is available.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Jonny, as more and more OG microgroove monos are finding a new home in Japan, don't you think it would be a good idea to just keep them as an "investment" for the future?

I apologize to all strutters for referring to records as an "investment"

go inject your own excrement.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

this is not the drugs thread, and I was talking to a record pro

this is not the drugs thread, and I was talking to a record pro

I thought it would be obvious that I was joking.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I thought it would be obvious that I was joking.

it was

haha! ok, good.

• OG is OG

although that depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    OG is OG

brazilian records make you too DEEP

OG is OG

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    OG is OG

I took a class in college where we spent the whole semester attempting to define "good".....this sounds like the start of that discussion......

• I always wonder what people think of later pressings, say, from the 80's when records were still mass produced. What do you all think of them? Not a first press, but at least not a bootleg.