LCD Soundsystem???????

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone? I've been giving more "normal" music a chance. IE new stuff on the radio that isn't hip hop or beat digger oriented.I saw these guys on Letterman and they had a cool young Talking Heads sound/look. Kinda liked it.

Comments

• LCD Soundsystem is playing at my house

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    They were on Letterman??

I figured after the way the Rapture bubble burst (releasing your new LP almost 2 years after your "hype" peaks, not a good look), we would never see DFA major media again...

• I got the album and I'm digging it. Dude's got the post-punk-dance-your-skinny-white-ass-off production style on lock... Guaranteed to blow up hipster-packed dance floors, while poking fun at them..

"it's like a movement, from a smaller place to a bigger city... it's like a culture, without the effort of all the culture... it's like a movement without the bother of all the meaning"

"There's a pit fight brewing at my house, because the jocks can't get in the door"

Losing My Edge is fucking hilarious too, if you haven't heard it..

"I heard that you have a CD compilation of every good 60's cut... and another box set from the 70's.. I hear you're buying a synthesizer, and an arpeggiator, and throwing your computer out the window, because you wanna make something 'real', you wanna make a Yaz record..."

• We got this in at the shop the other day...I had to turn it off.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    i heard you have a vinyl of every Niagara record on german import.

i hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables.

i hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    They were on Letterman??

not a good look), we would never see DFA major media again...

Yea, he loved them. It's not often you see him get excited about a band. So they have a connection to DFA? (excuse the little dude question)

They were on Letterman??

not a good look), we would never see DFA major media again...

Yea, he loved them. It's not often you see him get excited about a band. So they have a connection to DFA? (excuse the little dude question)

as far as I know, they are/he is DFA. I dig them, too, I wasn't hating...it just seemed there was all this hype around DFA/Rapture and the whole Brooklyn thing, but they blew the Rapture up with all this hype, like the "next band you will love more than sex or ice cream" and, at least in the US, the response was:

I'm laughing trying to picture Letterman all into LCD Soundsystem...that dude is 9 feet tall...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    i heard you have a vinyl of every Niagara record on german import.
    i hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables.
    i hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars.

i hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought harps[/b].

• yeah I believe james murphy is 1/2 of dfa. the other dude is Tim something who used to do alot of work for mo' wax.

LCD is only a group on tour, the album i think was all done by murphy. all instruments/recording/mixing, etc done by him alone. it is a good album that gets better upon multiple listens. the production is sick. did anyone else hear that DFA did some tracks for both Britney and Janet Jackson that will apparently never see the light of day?

DFA = James Murphy and Tim Goldsworthy. They just scored a publishing (?) deal with EMI I think. They came to rule the dance punk genre by producing tracks for the Rapture, Radio 4, and others. Their production style is rooted in the tradition of Liquid Liquid, etc but maybe a little more pop/dance oriented. I enjoyed House of Jealous Lovers but I can live without a lot of the random 12"s.

Tim is from the UK and was a childhood friend of James Lavelle (founder of Mo'Wax) and part of U.N.K.L.E. before the DJ Shadow UNKLE incarnation and now the current Richard File + James Lavelle version of the group. Working with Masayuki KUDO and Lavelle in the early to mid 90's, they released songs under the name U.N.K.L.E. (a play on the man from U.N.C.L.E.). Namely, they produced "The Time Has Come" and "Berry Medidation" which are a couple of my favorite Mo'Wax tracks. I think right before Lavelle got a huge advance for his U.N.K.L.E. album from A&M (later to become Psyence Fiction) Goldsworthy split for NYC. This was circa 1994/1995, I think.

So yeah, Tim is a producer and James is a producer/singer.

Can anyone shine some light on how he met James Murphy?

yeah I believe james murphy is 1/2 of dfa. the other dude is Tim something who used to do alot of work for mo' wax.

LCD is only a group on tour, the album i think was all done by murphy. all instruments/recording/mixing, etc done by him alone. it is a good album that gets better upon multiple listens. the production is sick. did anyone else hear that DFA did some tracks for both Britney and Janet Jackson that will apparently never see the light of day?

Cool. I really like the DFA remix of the Le Tigre "Decepticon". Now I'm interested to hear the CD. The band on Letterman was cool, very nerdy looking and just did that whole stand in one place funkin' like Talking Heads. The Asian girl playing Farfisa was the only one looking remotly cool. The rest were white boy hipster jeans and hoddie I could care less I'm on TV types.

Obviously Tim was the singer? He pretty much kept his eyes closed the whole time except when he pulled the African cowbell out from behind his back.

More cowbell baby!!!!

• james is the one singin in LCD, not Tim. and ive heard hes particular that they are "go-go bells" and not cowbells.

mylatency,
    from what i know they crossed paths doing work on a David Holmes album?? Goldsworthy was doing alot of the programming and I'm not sure if james murphy was the engineer or not but I believe that is how they met.

I enjoyed House of Jealous Lovers but I can live without a lot of the random 12"s.

Co-Sizzle.

that U.N.K.L.E. record was my shit...I was on some MoWax shit for a while, Palmskin Productions, Twig Bug...it got expensive buying all them 12" imports, though.

On a somewhat related note, I saw "!!!" a few months ago and they were the shit, definitely had that Talking Heads nerds-in-a-groove-thing working, although if you can't feel the vocalist styles, you probably won't dig it, cause he's over-the-top...

• yea theres something about the !!! singer that makes me wanna claw my eyes. they still lay down the groove though and i think the bass player in !!! plays in the LCD group.

from what i know they crossed paths doing work on a David Holmes album?? Goldsworthy was doing alot of the programming and I'm not sure if james murphy was the engineer or not but I believe that is how they met.

Ahh, thx for reminding me that Tim did some work on that David Holmes album, forgot about that.

and ive heard hes particular that they are "go-go bells" and not cowbells.

Yea, i figured people would know what I was talking about. The cone shaped ones, connected with a bar, one cone smaller than the other. I think they are a traditional african bell. Though I didn't actually think they put them on cows. And they sound a lot better then the common cowbell. I'm sure they have some actual name, but "go go bells" works cuz they got used in go go music a lot I'm sure.

and ive heard hes particular that they are "go-go bells" and not cowbells.

Yea, i figured people would know what I was talking about. The cone shaped ones, connected with a bar, one cone smaller than the other. I think they are a traditional african bell. Though I didn't actually think they put them on cows. And they sound a lot better then the common cowbell. I'm sure they have some actual name, but "go go bells" works cuz they got used in go go music a lot I'm sure.

I need to start google-ing before I type..................

"Agogo Bell - African name "Gankogui." A two-tone bell played with a stick made out of cast iron, from Ghana. Plays a repeating pattern that helps keep a drumming ensemble playing together with a steady beat."

• I'm a fan, i buy just about every DFA single i come across.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    this band is terrible.

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    one of my friends opened a few shows for LCD with his band I have not really heard much of thier stuff, not really feeling them as of yet will have to check a bit more as they seem to get quite good write ups.