using Bit Torrents for the first time..(quick ? )

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
so I am trying this Bit Torrent thing out for the first time and I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I am attempting to download a mixtape off of Torrentz.com. First, I downloaded a "client" called BitTornado. I clicked on the link of the mixtape I wanted to download and then opened up BitTornado,located the mixtape torrent file and proceeded to start the download. It appears to be downloading (looks like it will take around roughly 10 minutes or so) but I am curious to what happens afterwords. What kind of file does the torrent become? mp3 or what? Anyone familiar w/ BitTornado?From what I gather, these torrents are the way to go now and days. Can someone point me in the direction of some torrent sites w/ all the hot new shit.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Torrents are good in terms of quantity but as you'll quickly learn, they can be really slow. USENET is a lot faster though not quite as intuitive to figure out.

But to answer your question, the final file could end up in several different formats. It could be zipped or similarly compressed. Or it could be in the final format, like mp3 or .mov.

Personally, I find most of what I need at torrentspy but like I said, I'm pretty much using USENET for most of my bootleg needs music and movie-wise.

so I am trying this Bit Torrent thing out for the first time and I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I am attempting to download a mixtape off of Torrentz.com. First, I downloaded a "client" called BitTornado. I clicked on the link of the mixtape I wanted to download and then opened up BitTornado,located the mixtape torrent file and proceeded to start the download. It appears to be downloading (looks like it will take around roughly 10 minutes or so) but I am curious to what happens afterwords. What kind of file does the torrent become? mp3 or what? Anyone familiar w/ BitTornado?

From what I gather, these torrents are the way to go now and days. Can someone point me in the direction of some torrent sites w/ all the hot new shit.

• Torrents are good in terms of quantity but as you'll quickly learn, they can be really slow. USENET is a lot faster though not quite as intuitive to figure out.

But to answer your question, the final file could end up in several different formats. It could be zipped or similarly compressed. Or it could be in the final format, like mp3 or .mov.

Personally, I find most of what I need at torrentspy but like I said, I'm pretty much using USENET for most of my bootleg needs music and movie-wise.

actually, I just DLed two mixtapes and it only took about 10+ minutes for each. I can live with that. I havent tried Usenet for torrents...I actually havent used Usenet for probably over 10 years(alt.graffiti).

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Torrents are good in terms of quantity but as you'll quickly learn, they can be really slow. USENET is a lot faster though not quite as intuitive to figure out.

so I am trying this Bit Torrent thing out for the first time and I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I am attempting to download a mixtape off of Torrentz.com. First, I downloaded a "client" called BitTornado. I clicked on the link of the mixtape I wanted to download and then opened up BitTornado,located the mixtape torrent file and proceeded to start the download. It appears to be downloading (looks like it will take around roughly 10 minutes or so) but I am curious to what happens afterwords. What kind of file does the torrent become? mp3 or what? Anyone familiar w/ BitTornado?

From what I gather, these torrents are the way to go now and days. Can someone point me in the direction of some torrent sites w/ all the hot new shit.

What USENET servers do you use? Any suggestions for some that are actually worth a shit? Do you use a pay one? I was all about them back in the day but I have not had an account in a while and never could find any decent free providers.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Yup, try an app like BitComet, they are pretty easy to use

have fun,
    M

• so is Usenet the place to be for torrents? if so..why?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    so is Usenet the place to be for torrents? if so..why?

Naw, two different standards homie. Torrents are just a way to move files. The Usenet is another. You don't find torrents on the usenet. (I just think it's helpful to clarify terms here so you don't get confused).

The Usenet is just a lot FASTER. Light speed ahead of torrents or other P2P networks. The catch is that you have to pay for the privilege - not a ton, but around $15-20 a month in different access fees. The other problem is that the Usenet is good for things that are less than two weeks old and movies and albums do get re-upped but torrents are better for older items.

I posted a hack's guide to Usenet a few months back - do a search and it should still turn up.