Raer Acetate Question

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I have the opportunity to buy a raer acetate of Little Richard doing some live material in 195? (it's early). An RCA Masters Acetate on the Presto label, it is seemingly pressed in the 50s as well. How much should I spend? Could I license this material out to press up new recordings from it (I think it's unreleased shiznit). Calling heavy hitters and Thanks and peaceT.N.

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    you sure its unreleased? don't get swindled. lowball at all costs.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm pretty darn sure it's unreleased, but not 100%. I think it's a "1st take" or something like that. NeverSwindled. Would I be able to release it though?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm pretty darn sure it's unreleased, but not 100%. I think it's a "1st take" or something like that. NeverSwindled. Would I be able to release it though?

I would assume that an entity larger than yourself (publisher, label, artist) would step in for a piece of the pie... or all of it.

I don't actually know about such things though

• I'm pretty darn sure it's unreleased, but not 100%. I think it's a "1st take" or something like that. NeverSwindled. Would I be able to release it though?

I would assume that an entity larger than yourself (publisher, label, artist) would step in for a piece of the pie... or all of it.

YEs. Owning the record means absolutely nothing in terms of rights - even if you happened onto master tapes or some such it's still owned by someone else, most likely.

Basically, if it is in fact unreleased the most you can do is contact Little Richard's management and try to press for a release that they will do with a label of their choosing and all you will do is supply the master if in fact this acetate is all that exists. You will not be paid hansomely for this service I don't think. If you're hustle is strong you might be able to spearhead the project but unless you are some Little Richard expert or have experience in such things they will probably want to go with someone else.

It is probably worth more to you as a collectible than as a tool for issuing previously-unreleased work.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Thanks for the info. So essentially, it's a bootlegger scenario to release it and have it be "worthwhile." Otherwise, it will enhance my status or I can sell it to a Little Richard megafan collectro.

• having the acetate doesnt mean you have rights (as someone already said) even having acetate or tapes of indie, small-label dudes shit doesnt mean jack, other than you being damn fine lucky to own shit (especially if it is unrelkeased...) unreleased stuff by a guy big as little richard will make it all the harder to release properly...i have a dope acetate by an unknown soul band from wisconsin, and we're still trying to figure out what to do w it...found some band members, but you know...
    the track is, btw,

• jgissjgiss 42 Posts
    On a related note: what about unreleased live performances? I'm working on getting a couple of Baby Huey concerts, taped by the band, from the bass player (a family friend) and other members of the Babysitters. Granted, they will be for my listening pleasure first but I have been toying around with the idea of releasing them "officially." Who owns the rights to a live performance?

• On a related note: what about unreleased live performances? I'm working on getting a couple of Baby Huey concerts, taped by the band, from the bass player (a family friend) and other members of the Babysitters. Granted, they will be for my listening pleasure first but I have been toying around with the idea of releasing them "officially." Who owns the rights to a live performance?

The band, the venue, the promoter(s)/producer(s), in that order

• jgissjgiss 42 Posts
    On a related note: what about unreleased live performances? I'm working on getting a couple of Baby Huey concerts, taped by the band, from the bass player (a family friend) and other members of the Babysitters. Granted, they will be for my listening pleasure first but I have been toying around with the idea of releasing them "officially." Who owns the rights to a live performance?

The band, the venue, the promoter(s)/producer(s), in that order

Thanks for the info. Next time I talk to him I'll ask if he still knows the promoters/producers and see what happens...