Favorite Version of "House of the Rising Sun"

BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Got a nice beaty Chinese version somewhere around here. For my money, though, I've got to go with the Proud Mary version.keep em coming.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Supremes version, pitched down all...the...way...

for real, try it!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    frigid pink

• - The Animals
    - Nina Simone (her version is WILD)
    - Billy Lee Riley (instrumental harmonica version that is downright spooky - its on his Harmonica Funk album, which is NOT funky, but more like a folk-rock cash-in LP from '65)

• donald byrd

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Dave Van Ronk has a good version of it (one that Dylan copped for his S/T without telling DVR)

• The Platters

• Options
    Boo and the Tru Tones.

K.

• - Nina Simone (her version is WILD)

i guess theres two versions of nina's cover of the song?
    i have one on a live album(green cover, 2lp), and i saw that its on that new lp(reissue?) with the blue cover. nina sings the blues i think is the title.
    i want to buy it but its always around 20 bucks when i see it.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    dudes the animals version is the best

that said i hate that song.

• Leadbelly.

• frank cunimondo

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Hellen Merril (someone sell this to me!)

or

Flower traveling band (complete with engrish vocals," ie: there was a house in new oreans, my father was a gambring man.")

- spidey

• - Nina Simone (her version is WILD)

i guess theres two versions of nina's cover of the song?
    i have one on a live album(green cover, 2lp), and i saw that its on that new lp(reissue?) with the blue cover. nina sings the blues i think is the title.

The version I'm referring to is on the Nina Simone Sings The Blues album, where it's taken at a lightning-quick tempo.

• i like grant green??s one,..aaaaaaa AAAAAAA aaaaaaa

• dudes the animals version is the best

that said i hate that song.

i really hated this song too until i saw the video (animals version). a buddy and i caught it in between some hairmetal videos on vh1 classic. it is amazing, and this post reminded me. i wanted to know if it was possible to buy a copy for my personal viewing pleasure.

if anyones seen this or has any info, give a shout

otherwise, back to favorite versions

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Proud Mary version.

2nd that. i found this in switzerland. it's serious business.

• For purely sentimental reasons: Santa Esmarelda's (sp?) - dollar bin latin disco cheese which I'll always happily associate w/ the NBC Saturday afternoon 'Sportsworld' boxing broadcasts from waaaay back in the days (SE always got some burn on the show intros or over the end credits). Real (old) headz know the deal. Seriously, you haven't properly milked "House of the Rising Sun" for every ounce of melodrama its worth until you've heard a pre-sex scandal Marv Albert - as always alongside "The Fight Doctor," Ferdie Pacheco - describe the brutal punching power of Dwight Muhammad Qawi (n?? Dwight Braxton, a/k/a "The Camden Buzzsaw") over the extended percussion break of SE's version. As Tim Dog might say, it was "awesome!"

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    For purely sentimental reasons: Santa Esmarelda's (sp?) - dollar bin latin disco cheese which I'll always happily associate w/ the NBC Saturday afternoon 'Sportsworld' boxing broadcasts from waaaay back in the days (SE always got some burn on the show intros or over the end credits). Real (old) headz know the deal. Seriously, you haven't properly milked "House of the Rising Sun" for every ounce of melodrama its worth until you've heard a pre-sex scandal Marv Albert - as always alongside "The Fight Doctor," Ferdie Pacheco - describe the brutal punching power of Dwight Muhammad Qawi (n?? Dwight Braxton, a/k/a "The Camden Buzzsaw") over the extended percussion break of SE's version. As Tim Dog might say, it was "awesome!"

sweet...

they do another Animals disco cover, no?

• Bohemian Vendetta version kills it.