What's Your Policy On Outbidding Sutters?

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
In the process of talking up all these records, we inevitably end up tripping over each other when an auction pops up. It happened to me yesterday, I outbid a hommie (sorry about that) without realizing.

But I'm sure most of you have had this happen: you start watching an auction and in the middle of the week the top bidder is somebody you communicate with on here. Is it a case if whoever needs it more gets it, or is there a certain consideration you reserve for fellow Strutters?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Do it, unless that's your actual "real world" friend. Even then, do it but let them know first!

Come on its a fuckign record. I would laugh if someone got mad at me for outbidding them, unless they were a good friend and I knew they had their heart set on it.

I've outbidded a few folls on here before... no hate... it's happened to me too.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    In the process of talking up all these records, we inevitably end up tripping over eachother when an auction pops up. It happened to me yesterday, I outbid a hommie (sorry about that) without realizing.

But I'm sure most of you have had this happen: you start watching an auction and in the middle of the week the top bidder is somebody you communicate with on here. Is it a case if whoever needs it more gets it, or is there a certain consideration you reserve for fellow Strutters?

Thoughts?

Well, I use a sniper, so once I've set that up I have no idea who the high bidder on an auction that I'm interested in is at any given moment. In fact, I think most people on here do the same thing, so there's no reliable way of knowing who's interested in an auction until the last three seconds before closing.

I'd avoid knowingly bidding against somebody that I'm friendly with, but that's a much smaller circle than the whole of SoulStrut.

But, yo, what about bidding because you see one of your SoulStrut nemeses is the high bidder? I learned the game from watching Reynaldo do his thang...

Come on its a fuckign record. I would laugh if someone got mad at me for outbidding them, unless they were a good friend and I knew they had their heart set on it.

Well, what would be more annoying than being outbid by a friend would be winning where a friend bid the record up by an extra $30...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    But, yo, what about bidding because you see one of your SoulStrut nemeses is the high bidder? I learned the game from watching Reynaldo do his thang...

Isn't that called G A M E S H O O T I N G?

Well, what would be more annoying than being outbid by a friend would be winning where a friend bid the record up by an extra $30...

That's what I'm sayin'...this could easily be the case with any auction. "Win or go home."

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    ... is there a certain consideration you reserve for fellow Strutters?

I'll give them this consideration: Don't try to cross me, I will end you, son.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    You might be pals in real life, but when you and your best buddy are bidding on Thrust...... sealed......... its on !!!!

Alls fair in bidding wars I say. He who hath the highest bid, shalt be he who hath the RAERS.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I always outbid people on here. Hell, they wouldn't know they needed that record if it weren't for me anyway.

I always outbid people on here. Hell, they wouldn't know they needed that record if it weren't for me Adam Klein's lists of the contents of his crates anyway.

He who hath the highest bid, shalt be he who hath the RAERS.

..... Unless they have found some crazy untapped source where an 84 year old dude is charging 'a dollar for the big'uns and 50 cents for the little'uns'.....

He who hath the spidey sense for finding untapped wax....

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Do it, unless that's your actual "real world" friend. Even then, do it but let them know first!

Yes.[/b]

• Everybody snipes. Sometimes I check who is bidding but most of the time I just SET IT AND FORGET IT (cue ronco).

Still..... I outbid a certain strutter yesterday and felt a little guilty. Not on a big $ record, but I'm sending him some similar genre treats that are on their way out of here anyways.

It'd be a dick move to set up a big snipe when you know this is the one record that would make your friend's day. Just like if you found it at a store and didn't really want it as much as s/he did. I don't talk with most of you, so I don't know what you're REALLY after, versus buying expensive records to sell to buy other records, which is kind of different.

Me and my friends have an unspoken agreement. There's a big difference between buying to resell or trade and buying because it's what you really really are after. So if I have a title you really want, you'll get first crack before throwing it to the ebay wolves or putting it on a trade list.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I actually seek out SS'ers to outbid. Those people who I know their user name, I search out what they are currently bidding on, and then outbid them.

It's fun.

Everyb
    It'd be a dick move to set up a big snipe when you know this is the one record that would make your friend's day.

However, putting a snipe on the one record that you know would make your enemy's day = big dude move

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I always outbid people on here. Hell, they wouldn't know they needed that record if it weren't for me Adam Klein's lists of the contents of his crates anyway.

Real world speak

I've outbid a couple of soulstrutters on here but never on purpose. I tend to give respect on the whole Ebay thing. Besdies why get into a bidding war and raise the price on a rackord, if it ain't incredibly raer another one should be along shortly.

Anyone ever got a reeeal deal due to a rare one being mis-spelled and all the other diggers missed it so you got it for 2 bucks?

• Anyone ever got a reeeal deal due to a rare one being mis-spelled and all the other diggers missed it so you got it for 2 bucks?
    ..... all the time doooode

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    1st off, how do you know it's a strutter bidding on eBay unless their ID is similar to their soulstrut username?

Anyway, if I know it's a "virtual" friend from the internet I don't bid against them. Records show up all the time on eBay, so I can take a pass and wait for the next one.

This actually happened a couple months back when I was looking at the Fabulous Counts Jan Jan record. I'd been tracking it since it first showed up and went to bid the day before the auction ended and found that davesrecords had bid on it. I passed and then sent him an e-mail after the auction had ended. It turns out he was just buying it for resale and ended up selling it to me for just about what I was willing to bid so it all worked out in the end. Even if he didn't end up selling it to me it wouldn't be a big deal because another one would've shown up sooner or later.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    untapped wax....

• I generally don't buy shit on ebay, but if I wanted the record enough I would outbid my mother. all's fair in love, war and online auctions.

• In the process of talking up all these records, we inevitably end up tripping over each other when an auction pops up. It happened to me yesterday, I outbid a hommie (sorry about that) without realizing.

Thoughts?
    One of the things that were to learn while doing my first steps in a collector??s market was :

How softer and more carefull you act with the friendly people around you
    the harder someone will get on your back and profites from your doing without any care for you !

Seb

• I would laugh if someone got mad at me for outbidding them, unless they were a good friend and I knew they had their heart set on it.

I've outbidded a few folls on here before... no hate... it's happened to me too.

cosign on that. I've outbid people I know, and been outbid by people I know. Some seem to go for every freakin' funk 45 with a small label so they are a constant run-in, but it's never been a problem yet. If I'm warned beforehand I'll backoff, but if not, its all gravy.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

One of the things that were to learn while doing my first steps in a collector??s market was :

How softer and more carefull you act with the friendly people around you
    the harder someone will get on your back and profites from your doing without any care for you !

Seb

I gotta say the opposite. I've been cool with any decent record store owner/employee I have ever dealt with, let 'em tell their stories, talked shop, tipped 'em off to valuable records, sent 'em business, and it has paid off over and over again with better trade values, discounts on records (have a few stores I go in all the time where nice discounts are pretty much law), and access to stock...most record stores the shopping only begins once you are on good terms with the owner/employees...that's when the real records come out...

• I generally don't buy shit on ebay, but if I wanted the record enough I would outbid my mother. all's fair in love, war and online auctions.

What's your mom's ebay ID?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    In the process of talking up all these records, we inevitably end up tripping over each other when an auction pops up. It happened to me yesterday, I outbid a hommie (sorry about that) without realizing.

Yo do your thing!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

K.

Yo,

What the F*ck is going on in that pic? That's some crazy shit...

Peace

h

• You will love that album. My favorite Mainstream LP hands down. I got mine for about that much on ebay too, from kirk digiorgio no less!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Haha, nice one. I couldn't really go over $20 on it, but the description definitely made it seem like it was gonna go low.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    My max bid was at $20--14 more cents would have been my undoing...