I just broke a record in half

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
That shit sucked

Comments

• Options
    Sell the side with the break to producers.

K.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    that's a VG+ on this part of the world.

• Sell the side with the break to producers.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    sell it on half.com

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

lol

For some sellers I know, it's near mint.

Peace

• Options
    Reglue it and use it next time you're at the DMC's.

K.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

lol

Peace

Hey Moogman! I wish some brazilian & argentinian sellers would stop the "it's impossible to find NM records around here" lie. But, as long as people around the world keep buying from them...

• I remember there's a "male orgasm track" on that broken record. Did you sit on it?

• Brandish one piece as a weapon whenever you see a suspected shoplifter and yell across the store

"HEY PUNK. DON'T MAKE ME BODY YOU WITH MY HALF AN AZUQUITA.

??SOY LA SALSA... MAS SALSA!"

PS I think it's acceptable to put down the record piece temporarily to do "finger quotes" when you say "body" so they'll know you're not hitting on them.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Maybe a little cheesy, but you could put it on the counter with:

"Sometimes I cut prices in half. Just ask"

I would laugh, but I'm not normal.

• J*nny P*yczech previous employer?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Jonny, what about one of these for your store?

I always thought this was for mad great collectros, but maybe it makes sense for a record store.
    Air Tight Disc Flatter

• I was just talking to Kohji (K-Prince) about that. I guess it's like $600? That's a little steep but not out of control. However, I would really need to see some "proof in the puddin" demonstration before I tossed my raers on what looks like a glorified foreman grill.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

I always thought this was for mad great collectros, but maybe it makes sense for a record store.
    Air Tight Disc Flatter

lol

Peace

Hey Moogman! I wish some brazilian & argentinian sellers would stop the "it's impossible to find NM records around here" lie. But, as long as people around the world keep buying from them...

Hey JLo

This is not totaly a lie; for any very good record I find, I can find a ton of records in shit condition. It seems that brazilian people never gave a shit on caring their records.
    Usually, only collectors cared their stuff.

How's this in Argentina? Do people cared their records there?

Paz

• Wow, two grand! The one we were talking about is japanese and (I think) a lot less pricey.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Hey JLo

This is not totaly a lie; for any very good record I find, I can find a ton of records in shit condition. It seems that brazilian people never gave a shit on caring their records.

Paz

From my experience, rock/psych stuff could be harder to get in NM condition, but still not impossible. Jazz: usually in VG+ to NM condition. I have found argie jazz raers in almost new condition. Brazilian: more uptempo things are usually more abused, I guess from parties? Quiet bossa: VG+ to NM.

Strange case: ECM label, I guess people just bought them for the covers. Almost new all the time.

Now, if only I was a classical collectro

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I was just talking to Kohji (K-Prince) about that. I guess it's like $600? $1995.95[/b]

out of control

Man I wish I could afford one of those batches...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    An idea: if I was, for instance, an East Coast strutter, I would propose a collective purchase of one of these thingies by all the interested local strutters. Everyone could use it, and you could even charge third people to use it, via Jonny's store (I guess). Does this sound too crazy?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    An idea: if I was, for instance, an East Coast strutter, I would propose a collective purchase of one of this thingies by all the interested local strutters. Everyone could use it, and you could even charge third people to use it, via Jonny's store (I guess). Does this sound too crazy?

I'd rather go for a vinyl cutter. That would pay for itself more quickly, and is much sexier.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    An idea: if I was, for instance, an East Coast strutter, I would propose a collective purchase of one of these thingies by all the interested local strutters. Everyone could use it, and you could even charge third people to use it, via Jonny's store (I guess). Does this sound too crazy?

Maybe the "Strut Collective" aspect of it is a lil' utopian, but I was already thinking to myself after seeing that pic, "...hmmm maybe some spot around here has one and will let me de-warp a couple of joints for a small fee..." I use the VIP at a local store sometimes, the dude charged me a couple bucks once for cleaning a big stack, and just hooked me up a couple of other times when I had a couple prize pieces.

Hey JLo

Paz

From my experience, rock/psych stuff could be harder to get in NM condition, but still not impossible. Jazz: usually in VG+ to NM condition. I have found argie jazz raers in almost new condition. Brazilian: more uptempo things are usually more abused, I guess from parties? Quiet bossa: VG+ to NM.

Strange case: ECM label, I guess people just bought them for the covers. Almost new all the time.

Now, if only I was a classical collectro

I think you defined very well this record caring & condition game; the same thing for brazilian stuff as well.
    The more uptempo the record is, the more it was played and less it was cared.

Peace

• -

• How did you break it?

By bending it to see how bad the warp was....

I've done this same exact thing with tonnes of records but this one I guess was just a little brittle and already warped...

• girgir 329 Posts
    An idea: if I was, for instance, an East Coast strutter, I would propose a collective purchase of one of this thingies by all the interested local strutters. Everyone could use it, and you could even charge third people to use it, via Jonny's store (I guess). Does this sound too crazy?

I'd rather go for a vinyl cutter. That would pay for itself more quickly, and is much sexier.

a vinyl cutter is definitely sexier but the flattening machine would probably pay for itself quicker. at least with the vinyl cutters currently available it seems like the cost of supplies alone would make it difficult to make one's money back. the selling of dewarped raers from thrift stores would probably turn a much prettier penny especially if a shop owner additionally offered dewarping services to patrons.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    lol

Peace
    Tell me about it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Air Tight Disc Flatter

From what I gather, these flatteners can add surface noise to records. You gotta be very careful with 'em. There's a German company that's releasing a similar machine this december. I'd look at that.

lol

Peace

Tell me about it.

This is a joke about some brazilian sellers who always grade their records as excellent/near mint, when records usually are in vg+ or less.
    Some sellers price their records over rarity and not considering their condition; I have found records in unplayable conditions and sellers asked mad money cos' records were raer. Only thing I do when this happens is laugh and wish them good luck.

Peace

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Well, thats really more of a summer record, if its any consolation .