Thoughts on current ACTION MOVIE soundtracks

generiquegenerique 625 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central

I went to see the film Serenity yesterday and I was baffled again by the soundtrack. What's up with these tympany driven scores? All action movies seem to have a tympany score. Tympanies are pounded on (or they use random barrels), there's no swing. On top of this tympany rubbish, random shock and suspense chords are played, of the uplifting, heroic sort. I guess this music just works, whether you have a charging army of orcs, a fleet of spaceships on a mission, a random chase on the streets, an approaching monster - you name it. I think I'm ready for something else. Can the cycle of things please bring back some chase funk of any sort? Or some genuine space music? I'll settle for a Powerpuff Girls score, you know. It don't have to be fancy, just something less formless than what's used in action movies for a pretty long while now.

Any other thoughts on current soundtracks?

Comments

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    dude.. tympanys are awesome!

i thought youd be up on the funky european soundtracks (where tympanys were used more heavily) when you have a name like that. and swing on tympany drums would most likely sound pretty bad. it doesnt really work that well when you have music based mostly on long tones like that. id rather have em thoight!

theres some new movies with good scores, check the incredibles!

EDIT: cant spell

• Yeah, true, when I typed the above text, I knew I was ranting and hatting! But maybe you know what I'm talking about, still. I pushes me out of the movie, all that tribalistic drum noise. As if they hire Les Tambours du Bronx for every frigging movie. I feel opportunities are being missed. I'd rather have a Scandinavian Metal band do the score for Lord of the Rings, Goldfrapp for Serenity, the Beastie Boys for Ronin etc. The Incredibles has a super score, I agree. The problem is not at all today's cartoons. On the contrary. The Powerpuff Girls, as I said, has a terrific score. It's just the current action/scifi movies and their lack of style.

Tympani's are cool when used smartly. Not just as a non-descript layer of constant faux-tribalistic underbelly tension if you know what I mean. Here's a track from an Italian film with great Tympani work (direct link):

La Macchina della Violenza

I have this Big Bruce Lee Special record with that tune from I think the Big Boss with a beat that uses a lot of tympani in a very swinging way. It's just this easy Tambours du Bronx shit I have heard enough off in films! Let's move on! Goldsmith, Shore et all please retire!