Brazilian psych, whats really good?

Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk
I know of Os Mutantes, Gal Costas first albums and Caetano Veloso's albums , but what are other great Brazilian psych bands? I can say I like Os Lobos, and have been kicking myself in the ass for not picking up a copy of the Miragem LP at Academy some time ago. I saw the Os Panteras LP at WFMU earlier in the month but dude wanted $180 and I am not ballin' like that yet. What are other stuff you all like?Also, is tropicalia portugese for psychadelia, or is is it just psych music with brazilian touches?

Comments

• This is hot...
    Attached files

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Hey, what is Sandro doing in your avatar? Are you a fan?

• I've heard clips of Os Brazoes, dope. Supposed to be very raer too, more so than most?

what about these dudes?

Psych or the Brazilian Kiss?

• I've heard clips of Os Brazoes, dope. Supposed to be very raer too, more so than most?

what about these dudes?

Psych or the Brazilian Kiss?

These dudes are excellent. Their first album IMO is better but can't lose with that one either.

I have a copy of the former at the shop right now, stop down if you want to check it out.

• I know of Os Mutantes, Gal Costas first albums and Caetano Veloso's albums , but what are other great Brazilian psych bands? I can say I like Os Lobos, and have been kicking myself in the ass for not picking up a copy of the Miragem LP at Academy some time ago. I saw the Os Panteras LP at WFMU earlier in the month but dude wanted $180 and I am not ballin' like that yet. What are other stuff you all like?
    Also, is tropicalia portugese for psychadelia, or is is it just psych music with brazilian touches?

Tropicalia is generally Brazilian rock/pop with heavy US/UK influences, which because the movement was late 60's/early 70's has psychedelic influences. The word "Tropicalia" is not a translation of "psychedelia".

Not up too much on the obscure stuff, but I will cosign on Os Mutantes, Veloso, Gal Costa, and especially all Gilbert Gil from that era...

• Hey, what is Sandro doing in your avatar? Are you a fan?

I was actually paying homage to your handle, as he arranged that whole album.
    Naw, but seriously, Sandro is slick...

• I have a copy of the former at the shop right now, stop down if you want to check it out.

word up, plaese to hold, I'll be in on Friday or Saturday for sure, a.k.a. just got paid!

• I have a copy of the former at the shop right now, stop down if you want to check it out.

word up, plaese to hold, I'll be in on Friday or Saturday for sure, a.k.a. just got paid!

Pulled it for you. See ya then!

• Yo Ralph you know this?

It's a nice one.

• This Lula Cortes album is maybe the raerest, from what I've heard, like 5 known og copies or something. I think there was a reissue floating around a few years ago but never copped it. I think its also more folky than psych, but I have been known to be wrong about these things. Stan Denski has an og copy, but he's an egotistical prick who's lucky I don't live in Indianapolis.
    Attached files

• Yo, check for Secos & Molhados, Novos Bahianos, Casa Das Maquinas (kinda proggy psych stuff), and D'angelo (recent reissue on what music).

I think Tropicalia was just a term slapped on for the sake of separating themselves from the "old gaurd" of the music scene of the day. By the way, the groups above weren't really part of the Tropicalia scene, some came after the initial movement. Though I heard Novos Bahianos used to run with the Os Mutantes guys.

Check allbrazilianmusic.com for others, in fact just get lost on this site, so much info there.
    -J

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I know of Os Mutantes, Gal Costas first albums and Caetano Veloso's albums , but what are other great Brazilian psych bands? I can say I like Os Lobos, and have been kicking myself in the ass for not picking up a copy of the Miragem LP at Academy some time ago. I saw the Os Panteras LP at WFMU earlier in the month but dude wanted $180 and I am not ballin' like that yet. What are other stuff you all like?
    Also, is tropicalia portugese for psychadelia, or is is it just psych music with brazilian touches?

Tropicalia is generally Brazilian rock/pop with heavy US/UK influences, which because the movement was late 60's/early 70's has psychedelic influences. The word "Tropicalia" is not a translation of "psychedelia".

Although people always refer to Tropicalia as a musical movement, it's more than this; it also encompasses fine arts (painting & sculptures - Helio Oiticica, Ligia Clark), literature/poetry (Torquato Neto, Waly Salom??o), cinema, tv shows, etc.
    Obviously, music is its most known aspect; and it's not restrained to rock/pop with heavy US/UK influences only, you can hear influences of romantic & corny music, latin (bolero, guarania), and classical music too. It's all present in the most known Tropicalia LPs.

Peace

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    That Lula Cortes album is maybe the raerest, from what I've heard, like 5 known og copies or something. I think there was a reissue floating around a few years ago but never copped it. I think its also more folky than psych, but I have been known to be wrong about these things. Stan Denski has an og copy, but he's an egotistical prick who's lucky I don't live in Indianapolis.

Agreed, its definitely not some psychfuzz freakout. The album is very sparse and subdued, but I feel it's what gives the record that special quality. I???ll up a few tracks when I get home. The reissue is out of print, but they pop up on the bay from time to time

Yo Ralph you know this?

It's a nice one.

No, sir. What's it like?

• Yo Ralph you know this?

It's a nice one.

No, sir. What's it like?

I would compare it to Secos E Molhados... rock stuff with a soulful touch to it.

Yo Ralph you know this?

It's a nice one.

No, sir. What's it like?

I would compare it to Secos E Molhados... rock stuff with a soulful touch to it.

I'll keep an eye out.

Just posted this pic in another section. Bit poppy but has its moments. I am pretty sure it's a Brazilian artist though not Bras release[/b] . Can anyone drop knowledge?

You're right, he is a brazilian singer.
    It's kinda surprising see Paulo Sergio's record on SS. Everything I know from him (and it's not this much) is romantic crap music; I can??t remember listening to something from him that is pop/rock.
    He is in the same vein as Roberto Carlos, i.e, romantic and untasteful music for brainless people ( ).
    Anyway, I'll keep my eyes open for his records from now on.
    Live & learn!

Peace

This album is amazing!

this is the best record ever. ever.

ever.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

You're right, he is a brazilian singer.
    It's kinda surprising see Paulo Sergio's record on SS. Everything I know from him (and it's not this much) is romantic crap music; I can??t remember listening to something from him that is pop/rock.
    He is in the same vein as Roberto Carlos, i.e, romantic and untasteful music for brainless people ( ).
    Anyway, I'll keep my eyes open for his records from now on.
    Live & learn!

Peace

go to 3:47 mark kinda psych beat with a smidge of funkyness.

• Ditto on the Lula Cortes.

Here is a link to a site about brazilian psyche records; there are a few reviews and lots of cover pics.

Peace

Yo Ralph you know this?

It's a nice one.

No, sir. What's it like?

Gerson Conrad was a member of Secos & Molhados (acoustic guitar and vocals).

Peace

• Here is a link to a site about brazilian psyche records; there are a few reviews and lots of cover pics.

Peace

links not working for me, thanks though, and thanks to everyone else too

Here is a link to a site about brazilian psyche records; there are a few reviews and lots of cover pics.

Peace

links not working for me, thanks though, and thanks to everyone else too

It's working for me without problem.

Anyway, copy & paste: http://www.ratolaser.hpg.ig.com.br/index.html

Btw, turn on your pop-up block cos' the site is full of this sh!t.

Peace

go to 3:47 mark kinda psych beat with a smidge of funkyness.

Hey BigSpliff

Many thanks for the link & mix; I'm listening to it right now. Nice job!
    That Paulo Sergio's track is on Jovem Guarda style, like the stuff Roberto Carlos made in the mid 60's & early 70's.
    As I said before, I'll keep an eye for his stuff.
    Thanks, again.

Peace

P.S. [little dude move] Any change you post the track list, please? [/little dude move]

• Arthur Verocai

Modulo 1000 (Amazing LP, but good luck getting an original.) Get the reissue instead. Even that at times commands $100, but I would go no higher than $50.

Jorge Ben

• Co-sign on the Lula Cortez and Satwa jawns. Definitely psyche. Definitely folk.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Although people always refer to Tropicalia as a musical movement, it's more than this; it also encompasses fine arts (painting & sculptures - Helio Oiticica, Ligia Clark), literature/poetry (Torquato Neto, Waly Salom??o), cinema, tv shows, etc.

Obviously, music is its most known aspect; and it's not restrained to rock/pop with heavy US/UK influences only, you can hear influences of romantic & corny music, latin (bolero, guarania), and classical music too. It's all present in the most known Tropicalia LPs.

Peace

Well put Moogman. The name Tropicalia was a fusion of tropical with psychedelia. It's not a portugese word, but it was created by Lu??s Carlos Barreto. Not inteded to replace psychedelia, but to be it's own movement of opinionated brazil embracing the electric guitar and criticizing there own culture. Alot of the main artists were mentioned in this thread, but a few main ones were skipped:

Tom Z??, Maria bathania (Caetano's sister), Torquato Neto, Rog??rio Duprat.

Also many artists who were Bossa, samba or something else, and dabbled in tropicalia:

Nara Le??o, Marcos Valle, Jorge Ben, Elis Regina,Edu Lobo, Ed Lincoln, all the gilbertos..

In fact there were quite a few artists from and after this era that were psychedelic, but did not fully associate with Tropicalism.

Bango, Modulo 1000, O Terco, and so on..

Also, much props to the guitarists of said tropicalia bands. Such as my favorite:

Lanny Gordin of Brazillian octopus.

- spidey (no sabadabadoo)