Random Ass Strutter Run-Ins

gambitgambit 906 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Me and dj_pi were at a Vietnamese/Thai joint and were talking about diggin' at a certain spot in Detroit, when some dude in the adjacent booth chimes about liking to buy records there. It was none other than Mr. Fine Wine from WFMU out in NY, having a meal with his Moms. That's bugged to me. Anyway, peace to him. My Chicken with Hanoi Sauce was delicious, by the way. I'm still trying to find out what the oil/sauce they have on the condiments plate is all about. It puts shivers through my spine. The shit smells like well-done vagina. What's the happs on it? It stank something fierce.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

I'm still trying to find out what the oil/sauce they have on the condiments plate is all about. It puts shivers through my spine. The shit smells like well-done vagina. What's the happs on it? It stank something fierce.

It was explained to me that this is made of fermented fish.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    sounds like the ol..

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

I'm still trying to find out what the oil/sauce they have on the condiments plate is all about. It puts shivers through my spine. The shit smells like well-done vagina. What's the happs on it? It stank something fierce.

It was explained to me that this is made of fermented fish.
    Yep, I just threw up in my mouth... just a lil' bit.

Yeah, I'll have that removed from my table next time I dine at Thang Long. I need to take a picture of their sign for my 12".

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    NYC was crazy this summer, I ran into:

Delay (well, called the dude), Sharon Jones was playing in the park right behind my Aunt's building

firmeRola, Rape_Donks, funksnotdead, and funk's girlfriend at a flea market

Another strutter..not sure if it was Sun Fortune or um, yeah I was freakin' out of it that night. I think his name was Phil??? We went and got drunk at a bar and laughed at the records on the west side of Manhattan

Indiana45s in Good Records NYC

Lotusland in Good Records NYC

Pgunn and Mr. FineWine at umm..I forget the name of the bar. Finewine was killin' it.

And of course dakar and his bro zeke (who I had contacted though).

NYC and the tri-state has the greatest concentration of Strutters in one area, I think.

Damn Dallas just took out Houston.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    c'mon. ya need those fish sauce for the spring rolls and rice vermicelli...then a little bit of fresh chilli.

they smell bad, but they taste GOOOOD.

• You seriously don't want to know how fish sauce is made. It's weird stuff, basically a saline solution of rotten fish bits. Get a big bottle of it at your asian market for 3 dollah. It's been around forever, the Romans called it "garum". (kurlansky talks a lot about it in his book "salt") It's called nam pla (sp?) in thailand. It stinks terribly but is essential for Vietnamese and Thai cooking. I think of it like the earthy, fishy component to the dish... and the lime and cilantro is the "bright", then you have the hot chilis. Very different from western cooking. Anyhow if you caught a whiff of fish sauce straight you would feel queasy, but if it weren't there you would notice. Like if you made soup with water instead of broth.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it's an essential ingredient in any cook's pantry, it's just irreplacable. The abrasive smell dissipates once it's cooked, plus a little goes a long way as the flavour is very concentrated and pungent.

long live fish sauce.

dried shrimp paste is that NXET levelness, but you might yak if you think fish sauce is stanky.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    NYC and the tri-state has the greatest concentration of Strutters in one area, I think.
    Sayin'.

It was surreal. Me and a homey are trying out a new restaurant in Madison Heights, MI and a Strutter that lives in NY just so happens to be there eating. Small ass world...

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    You wouldn't believe the number of strutters I run into here in beautiful Fredericton.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I've had casual run-ins before... hell, sometimes you dudes are out on tour and I say what up, but I'm always in the know. There are many Michigan-based Strutters here that I know about, but have never met.
    It's different to have a cat be like... "ay, [I don't know you, but] I post on Soulstrut, hollahollaholla, let me holla atcha!"
    Our Strutter network always intercepts visits from others. I always hear about who has been in town and taken records from up under me.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    You wouldn't believe the number of strutters I run into here in beautiful Columbus

Zero

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Zero

That was the right guess.