Newbie has a Stax promo question

JacobthejewelerJacobthejeweler 17 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Haven't really posted much of anything on here, just check every now and again for some good info and an interesting read. So hello all, & thanks for all the great info I've gotten from this place, hope I could help out from time to time.I found this Booker T one sided promo white label record on stax stamped for in store play and titled "FUNKTION". No art work on the sleeve, just the band name, title, and "for in-store play" in plain jane black and white. It's got six songs on one side and the other has a nice checker pattern etched on it. I tried checking a couple discographies but I'm figuring promo vinyl doesn't make onto these lists cuz it's not listed anywhere. Anyone seen this around? I know it's kinda weak to ask but I'm dying to know the value on this thing. Any info would be much appreciated.-J

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've seen this a few times. One dude had one he'd bring out to the record show for $20 & it was always there - we are talking years. Is it like an instremental of the Albert King track, or what?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I got really excited when I found a blank-sleeved Stax promo 12" recently... thought it was some kind of testpressing or something... it was early, Sam & Dave I think?

Anyway... it ended up being a Springsteen bootleg. Bollocks.

Never seen the Booker T thing. But I'd listen to it first.

• It's just a radio thing with tracks from Soul Limbo, Up Tight OST, and Booker T. Set. Not the most common, but not very valuble. $20-$30 if you ask me.

• Word Shingaling, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was some incredibly rare shit, but it's not for keeping so I wanted to get an idea of a selling price (picked it up for $6). There's nothing unreleased on here so I figured it'd be a great piece for a hardcore Booker T. or Stax fan, plus it just looks cool.

-J

• Word Shingaling, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was some incredibly rare shit, but it's not for keeping so I wanted to get an idea of a selling price (picked it up for $6). There's nothing unreleased on here so I figured it'd be a great piece for a hardcore Booker T. or Stax fan, plus it just looks cool.

-J

True dat! It is a cool find indeed.