Which college has the best band?

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    She had a sweatshirt on that said U.C.L.A.

I said I didn't know you went to college.

She said, I didn't, my name's Ucla.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Them Tigers ain't no joke

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

seriously puts the rest to shame...

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    YESSIR

• reskresk 391 Posts
    i might be biased since i attend here but im giving it to

my all time favorite member of the marching 100 being

• College with the best bands (plural) would have to go my alma mater the University of Georgia. My freshman year (1980) we had James Brown as the grandmarshall of our homecoming parade and even recorded a little 45 for us ("Dooley's Junkyard Dogs") which he performed with the cheerleaders that afternoon.

Can't speak for our marching band although I know they're better than Georgia Tech's or Florida's.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Catamounts in full effect.

• do people really listen "college jazz band records"? Aside from a consevative amount of tracks, I've been really confused by the type of dudes that not only spend the time and energy searching for this crap but are also willing to drop ducket$ on said "joints".

Do we need more "Chessapeake Community Brass Choir"'s doing second-rate versions of "Shaft" in the world?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I'd say the college with the best band is likely the college with the worst sports teams. I'd nominate some liberal arts pot smoker haven in New England or somewhere. RISD? Maybe they could play off against some rusty dusty bayou college with a NCAA Div 3 Catfish Wrasslin team.

Gawd I can tell an ex-college-band drummer within 20 seconds! It's all bump and no funk.

• I'd say the college with the best band is likely the college with the worst sports teams. I'd nominate some liberal arts pot smoker haven in New England or somewhere.

Naw, liberal art colleges usually pump-out the best "dorm" emo-rappers. I think Hiphopsite even sends in scouts.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I'd say the college with the best band is likely the college with the worst sports teams. I'd nominate some liberal arts pot smoker haven in New England or somewhere.

Naw, liberal art colleges usually pump-out the best "dorm" emo-rappers. I think Hiphopsite even sends in scouts.

Yeah, prolly. That reminds me, haven't had any freestyle posted up here in a while.

I was talking about the good old days. Like Talking Heads vs. LA Carnival or something.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

Gawd I can tell an ex-college-band drummer within 20 seconds! It's all bump and no funk.

Drummer from my band is/was in the SC marching band. Dude is the most soulful, versatile drummer ive ever heard. Funk runs through his veins like woah.

• STANFORD has the best band...

....for Cal to RUN THROUGH!!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    howard u

• c'mon guys!! lets hear some of that marching band funk!! post some audio

• i might be biased since i attend here but im giving it to

You're biased.

They are good though, but not the best.

You know what's funny, I always wonder if some of these traditional marching bands would actually be hot if they quit playing fucking mozart and boring ass renditions of Louie Louie and actually tried for once.

• College with the best bands (plural) would have to go my alma mater the University of Georgia. My freshman year (1980) we had James Brown as the grandmarshall of our homecoming parade and even recorded a little 45 for us ("Dooley's Junkyard Dogs") which he performed with the cheerleaders that afternoon.

Can't speak for our marching band although I know they're better than Georgia Tech's or Florida's.

Fuck yes. When I marched drums in high school the band would sell Cokes at Sanford stadium for fundraising. We'd always used to hang out next to the UGA drumline at football games and cop the shit they played during our own football games.