So i'm drinking....(RR)

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
...and chain smoking in the backyard when this comes on the old Ipod:

and man, let me tell you, as many times and for as many years as I've been listening to this record, it never EVER ever gets old. This shit is just that serious.

The first time I heard this record I was 19 and living with this cat from Rochester in some grimey ass apartment doing grimey ass shit (come on, now).
Dude had just broken up with his wife and was in the process of a divorce so to him, this record was major. That was a crazy time of doing drugs and pulling check scams while dude was holding fools up at ATMs (I later found out). Anyway, this record brings back crazy memories for me and I think every single person on this damn board should own it or at least hear it at some point (I don't have it on my HD otherwise I'd post it up).
I tried to get hype after hearing this and make some music but my wife poured me a drink even Paul Bunyon couldn't take so that's the end of that and here I am holler.

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    'anger' is one of my favorite marvin songs.

and yes this album got many rotations when the folks split up a few years back. soul music wins again.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    from spinemagazine

--------------------------------

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1645954,00.html

an article about marvin's brief relocation to a belgian fishing town in the early 80's.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    ...and chain smoking in the backyard when this comes on the old Ipod:

and man, let me tell you, as many times and for as many years as I've been listening to this record, it never EVER ever gets old. This shit is just that serious.

The first time I heard this record I was 19 and living with this cat from Rochester in some grimey ass apartment doing grimey ass shit (come on, now).
    Dude had just broken up with his wife and was in the process of a divorce so to him, this record was major. That was a crazy time of doing drugs and pulling check scams while dude was holding fools up at ATMs (I later found out). Anyway, this record brings back crazy memories for me and I think every single person on this damn board should own it or at least hear it at some point (I don't have it on my HD otherwise I'd post it up).
    I tried to get hype after hearing this and make some music but my wife poured me a drink even Paul Bunyon couldn't take so that's the end of that and here I am holler.

Upon your recommondations, I'm gonna cop this tommorrow.

• It's funny you posted this, as I've been bumping it non stop this week. As I stated in the "other" thread, those harmonies kill me everytime I listen. One word : sparrow.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    It's funny you posted this, as I've been bumping it non stop this week. As I stated in the "other" thread, those harmonies kill me everytime I listen. One word : sparrow.

Hmmm...
    I guess I really have to cop this tommorow.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    It's funny you posted this, as I've been bumping it non stop this week. As I stated in the "other" thread, those harmonies kill me everytime I listen. One word : sparrow.

Hmmm...

I guess I really have to cop this tommorow.

YES, most definitley. I don't want to hype it up too much, but for me, it's one of my alltime favorite albums.

What L****n mentioned is no joke. Marvin started out singing under Harvey Fuqua who taught him a great deal about 4 and 5 part harmonies (Moonglows, etc.). Marvin had a pretty incredible range and would layer and overdub his vocals in some complex ways on most of his albums. This one being a good example.
    Fuck I love this record.