I paid too much. :(I

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited November 2005 in Record Collecting
You ever get home from a serious dig and find out something you bought is not worth what you paid for it (ebay,popsike,etc.)?? I justify it in my mind like, well, I wouldn't have known about the record in the first place if it wasn't available for me to physically listen to out in the field, so, I wouldn't even have bought it on ebay. Or is it all relative? opinions, thoughts, examples.

Comments

• Yeah, this happens to me. But it's better than leaving the record at the store because you think you can find it cheaper elsewhere, only to learn you ain't finding that record again for anywhere near the price you left it for.

First scenerio feels bad, but the second feels like a punch in the stomach.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Oh yeah... I spent $100 on the Hangman soundtrack, $100 on RAMP, and a large sum on the Starvue LP.

Peace... RAJ

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Or is it all relative?

Think about all the $100 you caught for a buck and you'll feel better

• Oh believe me I do. File that under the "you know you ahve a digging problem when.."

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'll knowingly overpay for someting if it means not having to buy online.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'll knowingly overpay for someting if it means not having to buy online.

Yup... definitely worth it to see what you're buying conditionwise, and to not have to deal with the hassle and bullshit of ebay

• This happens all the time. It all evens out. At the end of the day it's about the music and learning. peace, 'check . . .

• Yeah, this happens to me. But it's better than leaving the record at the store because you think you can find it cheaper elsewhere, only to learn you ain't finding that record again for anywhere near the price you left it for.

truth. I thought the Ayler LP I copped for $20 last weekend was a steal, then I saw a sealed copy on ebay end at $23. Oh well, still a great record. It all works out in the end.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yeah, this happens to me. But it's better than leaving the record at the store because you think you can find it cheaper elsewhere, only to learn you ain't finding that record again for anywhere near the price you left it for.

truth. I thought the Ayler LP I copped for $20 last weekend was a steal, then I saw a sealed copy on ebay end at $23. Oh well, still a great record. It all works out in the end.

yeah, but w/ shipping yer looking at $30 + a week or 2 wait. + just because it eneded @23 does not always mean you could have gotten it for 24 - dude could have had a reynaldo style bid on that shit.

• This is the number one rule for your set
    In order to survive, gotta learn to live with regrets

• Umm, yeah.
    the psychology of record collecting is a strange one indeed.
    Very few people it seems would like to admit/own up to paying too much for a record, and I am not talking about 20 bucks vs. 23 bucks. I'm talking about dudes who have been digging since before Ebay when things like Liberated Brother and Newban 2 were being hawked all day long by Mustapha at PCC for 300$. People were buying them. Ramp was rolling out at 100$, yes people were buying them. "Rare Groove" - buying it. Shit was selling at a price that the internet and demand has flipped, from regional collecting to the now international database of information some prices have gone up but most have gone waaay down. At the same time some things that were a buck before have now become 100$ because of internet demand.

I'll go first. I paid $200 for a private psych record that, come to find out sold for $35 dollars 3 years ago on Ebay (thanks popsike). One hasn't sold/listed on Ebay since. Did it sell for 35 because no one knows about it, justifying the price I paid? or is it only worth what it last sold for? or is it worth whatever it's worth to me, and because I make beats and it will be on the new album, thus priceless?

Don't front, dudes have ruined thier credit chasing records.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I consider it overpaying if I buy something for $3 & it's only worth 10...

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    This happens all the time. It all evens out. At the end of the day it's about the music and learning. peace, 'check . . .

I agree. It does even out. I find plenty of stuff for less than 'market value', so don't have a problem when I overpay for a something.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    whats worse? leaving a record behind that you are unsure of or buying something that isn't worth what you paid. i once left a mint copy of the ike noble private press lp at a store because i thought $10 was too much for a record that i thought sounded lame...

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Hmm, let's see... LA Will Make You Pay. Nah, just kidding

I wouldn't call it overpaying, but there's been a few local records I've paid good money for that then dropped in value because of an increase in supply. It ain't no thing though because I was early in getting them so I was early in using them. A homie of mine in the midwest that I trade records with sent me an email asking how good a certain record was because a dude was trying to trade him one and told him that it was a favorite spin of mine. It's nice to have that kind of association as a DJ. It's more important for the European guys who really strive on that, but it's still nice out here in the states too.

I also don't mind overpaying for something when I really want it and time is a factor. If I'm working on a mixtape and I feel like a certain record I don't have would fit nicely, I'll drop the extra money to get it immediately. Some folks frown upon that kind of shit, but whatever, I don't care.

And yeah, it definitely evens out. I've paid $1 for more dope records than I've paid $100 for.

DJ Ferrari

• I'll drop the extra money to get it immediately. Some folks frown upon that kind of shit, but whatever, I don't care.

And yeah, it definitely evens out. I've paid $1 for more dope records than I've paid $100 for.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Nowadays I have a real money making attitude. So it burns me up when I over pay. Even if it is over by $3 or so. I think i could have taken that $3 and invested it or whatever (along with all the other times I overpaid).

I guess what I am saying is that I look at it as more of an investment, what can I sell this for, what can I trade this for, etc.. more than the joy of the music. So naturally overpaying is not the optimal thing to do.

but in the end im sure it all works out.

• I just think if you come home after said dig and hit the internet to see what shit's worth a skewed way of digging in the first place.

• I just think if you come home after said dig and hit the internet to see what shit's worth a skewed way of digging in the first place.

Alright, let me provide the context.
    yesterday I had to go to the federal building in westwood to get more pages put in my passport. soon after my 10 am appointment they told me I had to come back at 2pm. Trying to kill time I head down to Record Surplus which, for those not in LA, is not the highest priority spot to hit up but is always dumb cheap. To my surprise, after two hours I had decided it might have been my best trip to Surplus ever (which there have been many over the decade) yielding:
    "Once" Sndtrk
    2 SS Starfire LPs
    Caroline Peyton
    The Savage Rose
    Gypsy
    Moustapha on Afroc
    Sweat and Steel connections
    Musica Orbis

Musica Orbis was the most expensive joint at 30 bucks (everything else was 6 or 8), so i decided to see what the deal was online when I got home. Of course a search lead straight to Popsike. Then I started thinking.. What would happen if I tried to value my collection by running a search on every record I owned. Would it all even out to the time/money I've spent? Thus the thread.

• Then I started thinking.. What would happen if I tried to value my collection by running a search on every record I owned.

You are going to drive yourself crazy homie! haha

• You are going to drive yourself crazy homie! haha

EXACTLY

plus isn't putting a value on your collection very Republican of you??? LOL

this is coming from someone who has his collection insured.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

2 SS Starfire LPs

Caroline Peyton

Moustapha on Afroc

PRICE CZECH, PLAESE!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Oh yeah... I spent $100 on the Hangman soundtrack, $100 on RAMP, and a large sum on the Starvue LP.

Peace... RAJ

did eintstein steal your id?

Peace... Grope

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    plus isn't putting a value on your collection very Republican of you??? LOL

this is coming from someone who has his collection insured.

hee hee!

• haha, word, I needed that. trust me I would be the last to

but i do wonder sometimes...

do you have to get the collection appraised to get it insured?

• do you have to get the collection appraised to get it insured?

NOPE!!!! Thru Traveller's Insurance

• plaese to pm the link to that piece.

I have nightmares sometimes about floods, fires, etc. Record stress.

I think I need a vacation.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I have nightmares sometimes about fires

I have a serious pyro roommate and every time he's drunk he makes a bonfire in the backyard. Luckily he has a fire pit and a large supply of duraflame logs so it's controlled, but I still freak out every time because all my shit is on the second floor. I can't enjoy campfire time at my house because all I can think about is my escape route and which records to grab first.

Insert above text in 'You know you have a digging problem when...' thread.

DJ Ferrari

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I have nightmares sometimes about fires

I have a serious pyro roommate and every time he's drunk he makes a bonfire in the backyard. Luckily he has a fire pit and a large supply of duraflame logs so it's controlled, but I still freak out every time because all my shit is on the second floor. I can't enjoy campfire time at my house because all I can think about is my escape route and which records to grab first.

Insert above text in 'You know you have a digging problem when...' thread.

DJ Ferrari

it might be a blessing if all mine burned.

• dude. I have a shelf on the 'ole expedit which is, I am not shitting you, grab in case of fire. even wifey knows. Sad to think about, but then again the CTI catalogue is getting left to smolder, knowhatimean?