1st rap lp on 2x vinyl

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
What was the first rap album ever released on 2 pieces of wax??? delasoul is dead promo? diamond?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    first Tribe?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    first Tribe?

Was that a US press?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    he's the dj... i'm the rapper

99.9% sure...

first Tribe?

Was that a US press?

I've only seen the reish which is why I'm not sure... did it come out on double vinyl upon its original release?

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    what noz said.

he's the dj... i'm the rapper

99.9% sure...

!!!

thats gotta be it... 1988!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    first Tribe?

Was that a US press?

did it come out on double vinyl upon its original release?

nope

• first Tribe?

Was that a US press?

reissue

and I think "He's The DJ...I'm The Rapper" is the winner. But does it count technically? The 2nd wax is labled 'bonus dj scratch record' or something like that...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    first Tribe?

Was that a US press?

reissue

and I think "He's The DJ...I'm The Rapper" is the winner. But does it count technically? The 2nd wax is labled 'bonus dj scratch record' or something like that...

I hear "he's the dj" alot when this question comes up and I think it's in the "book of rap lists."

• Hi A***!

first Tribe?

Was that a US press?

reissue

Its all the same album tracks, I think they just sequenced it differently on LP

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    hi N****n

• first Tribe?

Was that a US press?

reissue

Its all the same album tracks, I think they just sequenced it differently on LP

ah so...I never had the tape or CD. Thanks for that!

(oh snap! I googled "knowing is half the battle" and this came up)

this needs some photoshop magic to make it our own

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I've always thought it was Apocalypse 91,(not counting promos and such) but now I realize the folly of my ways.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    When did that dbl of Man & His Music drop?

I thought I had this before He's the DJ... But I'm probably just getting old and my memory is going...

• Though not commercial, the "Fear Of A Black Planet" radio promo was three discs.

• When did that dbl of Man & His Music drop?

I thought I had this before He's the DJ... But I'm probably just getting old and my memory is going...

you might be right. The earliest date I found for this was 1988, but they reissued it so many times on different labels it's hard to tell. I also found a "Memory of A Man and His Music" which is described as a collection of all the hotness off of Criminal Minded, Man And His Music, and Hot Club Versions and came out in 1987 in the UK. So leads me to beleive that Man and His Music was earlier than '88

memories

'88 is probably right for Man & His Music... but thats a comp, not really an album... so it doesn't count just like the STREET BEAT above

• Both 1985. If you are counting comps, but there were loads that were double.

Hmmn, 'Man & his Music' wasn't a real album,' Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince' was what i would've thought.

I remember how we all commented at the time when 'He's the Rapper...' came out as a double.

So I reckon that one for sure.

• '88 is probably right for Man & His Music... but thats a comp, not really an album... so it doesn't count just like the STREET BEAT above

agreed.

• I think the second proper album after ???He???s a DJ??? and excluding comps etc was 3rd Base/Deralicts of Dialect.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Man that's a good question. A full length album, not a compilation or bonus disc or promo?? Maybe the Artifacts "Between A Rock And A Hard Place"??

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    It might even be Pete Rock and CL Smooth's
    "Mecca & The Soul Brother" cause at the time record companies were trying to phase out vinyl and no one was making double LP's. Then there was that whole keep the vinyl alive movement after record companies tried to do this phase and then Elektra officially released Mecca in limited numbers sort of as an experiment to see if there was still a high demand for vinyl. So maybe that was it????? Who know's.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    did you just not read the thred?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

represent