Big Maybelle psych sides...yes, psych sides

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
picked up a double LP yesterday "The Last of Big Maybelle"...it claims to be all previously unreleased recordings, but I know that is wrong, because I have a couple of the tunes on the LP on a Rojac 45...so I am thinking other tunes on the LP have seen release before this LP...anyway, there are two straight up psych tunes on here..not just "psychedelic for a Big Maybelle record" but straight up hard psych...flanged backing tracks, heavy use of delay and echo on her voice...echoplex noise...the two tracks are "No Better for You" and "Big Sweet Daddy"...anyone know if these tracks had a legit 45 release? Thanks in advance

Comments

• I have "No Better Than You" on a northern soul comp and there's no weird effects at all. Maybe all the flanging was added posthumously?

(BTW, I also have the album you're talking about, and there are some BIZARRE odds and ends on that bad boy...)

• Is her version of "96 Tears" on there? Not really psych, but possibly psych-related.

• Is her version of "96 Tears" on there? Not really psych, but possibly psych-related.

no, in the liners it talks about that and her cover of "Elenor Rigby" and then goes on to say all of the tunes in the collection are previously unreleased, but "how it lies?" is on there and thats a rojac 45...I know there was an LP of her late-era stuff and that "96 tears" is on it and it is also on a rojac 45, I was hoping it was on there, but no...but hearing her growl layered in analog delay on the 'ol portable had me throwing it on the "keep pile".

That was on a Rojac elpee she did, titled something like Got A Brand New Bag. It's from 1966, and she's doing covers of really unlikely pop songs, like the Troggs'"I Can't Control Myself" and Donovan's "Mellow Yellow."

That was on a Rojac elpee she did, titled something like Got A Brand New Bag. It's from 1966, and she's doing covers of really unlikely pop songs, like the Troggs'"I Can't Control Myself" and Donovan's "Mellow Yellow."

I could kill myself for not buying this years ago at a store here in town. It was either get that one LP or like 5 LPs. I should have rolled with Maybelle cause I can't even remember what I bought instead.

I could kill myself for not buying this years ago at a store here in town. It was either get that one LP or like 5 LPs. I should have rolled with Maybelle cause I can't even remember what I bought instead.

If it makes you feel any better, you're not missing much. Only reason I'm holding on to my copy (I already have "96 Tears" on a single) is because it's by Big Maybelle.