tremolo guitar music recommendations?

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
The recent Portishead thread sent me back to listen to Roseland, Dummy and S/T. I need more tremolo guitar sound in my life now. Recommmendations?PS: won't take pictures of monkees as recommendations

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

• Las Terricolas have some sweet ass tremolo joints...

• I don't know if this is what you're talking about but I stay with some Santo & Johnny.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Post-commercial-viability Talk Talk, namely Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. Spaghetti-Western guitar in a Heinz baked beans tin, opened ever so glacially on the very edge of the moving world. The reward of patience is...

...patience.

• Ritchie Valens, or any Staple Singers on Vee Jay/Riverside/Epic.

• Chris Isaak - Wicked Game
    Daniel Lanois - Acadie LP and The Beauty Of Wynona
    The Smiths - How Soon Is Now
    Bo Diddley
    Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    Brief Encounter w/ the song "where will I go?" tremelo

• Yeah - of course - forget em - Staple Singers are where it's at.

• Post-commercial-viability Talk Talk, namely Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock.

Big co-sign, this is probably exactly what you're looking for.

• and the Rock tip - Steve Vai - Flexable

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I don't know if this is what you're talking about but I stay with some Santo & Johnny.

Is there a particular Santo & Johnny LP that is "the one" that I should own? I've heard a few cuts I like but I'd prefer a solid album...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I just remembered Boy George "The crying game"

BAN ME

Thank y'all for the recommendations!

• and the Rock tip - Steve Vai - Flexable

I was going to recommend Vai! Nice one.

[former guitar nerd confessional]
    I remember reading an interview with him in Guitar Player back in the 80s (ACT LIKE YOU KNEW) where he claimed to go through one Floyd Rose tremolo a week while touring with Diamond Dave. Goddamn, dude. He'd also router out the wood just beneath the tremolo so that he could pull it up even farther, so far in fact that the strings out bottom out on the last fret.
    [/former guitar nerd confessional]

• pretty much any Spacemen 3 record...

on the soul side of things, a lot of Muscle Shoals/Fame stuff has tremelo guitar, i.e. Candi Staton "Evidence"

• I co-sign as well with Talk Talk but also check out Bark Psychosis - "Hex". One of the most underrated albums and bands of the 90's.

• dudes on soulstrut go home and listen to steve vai that is so depressing

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    dudes on soulstrut go home and listen to steve vai that is so depressing

yet telling...

• dudes on soulstrut go home and listen to steve vai that is so depressing

• I don't know if this is what you're talking about but I stay with some Santo & Johnny.

Is there a particular Santo & Johnny LP that is "the one" that I should own? I've heard a few cuts I like but I'd prefer a solid album...

I really like "In The Still Of The Night", although it's more of a comp of earlier material it has my two favorite songs, "Sleepwalk" and "Teardrop" on it... peace, 'check . . .

• The tremelo-iest...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    There's a whole bunch of tremolo on the REM "Monster" LP. I was big into that as a lad. Not the clean Nancy Sinatra "Bang Bang" sort, but distorted and violent (for REM that is). I also like Planet Telex and Luck by Radiohead.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    are talking tremelo amp fx, i.e. pops staples, or tremelo bar fx, i.e. ike turner?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    god i love sleepwalker...does santos and johnny have full albums?

• anything by Dick Dale.

• god i love sleepwalker...does santos and johnny have full albums?

Yep, many. Not all of them are good though... I would stick with Canadian American label.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    god i love sleepwalker...does santos and johnny have full albums?

Yep, many. Not all of them are good though... I would stick with Canadian American label.

what would u recommend?
    thanks

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    The recent Portishead thread sent me back to listen to Roseland, Dummy and S/T. I need more tremolo guitar sound in my life now. Recommmendations?

On both Dummy and the self-titled albums, Portishead did a wonderful job with tremolo. They did what, in my opinion, is the best thing to do, which is, to not overdo it. Tremolo is best enjoyed, like a fine scotch, in moderation.

There is some confusion in this thread as to the definition (or definitions) of tremolo.

First, and in traditional music vernacular -- using my copy of Alfred's Pocket Dictionary of Music - Terms, Composers, Theory as reference -- tremolo is: the rapid repition of a single note. That's like when those bluegrass dudes really lay it on thick; just fucking going nuts on a single note. (Check this video for the realness exposed.)

Secondly, and that which is of interest to you, tremolo is: modulation of the amplitude of a sound (sometimes using a low frequency oscillator (LFO)).

Tremolo then, is the action of quickly raising and lowering the volume of a signal. Like, if you hired DJ Day to sit at the crossfader between your guitar and amp and just go the fuck off while you play. Some amplifiers have tremolo units built-in, and there are companies that make tremolo pedals (Jim Dunlop TS-! Tremolo Stereo Pan being a favorite of mine).

I prefer the tremolo that is subtle. It add a nice quality to a guitar sound, without jumping out of the speaker to tell you what it's doing. When taken to the extreme ("What's the Frequency, Kenneth"), tremolo is a device of novelty. It's the most obvious, glaring thing about a guitar part, and often negates everything else about the riff. (Note: Shadow used a tremolo effect on his drums somewhere on Endtroducing that typifies the "all out" tremolo sound I'm referring to.)

Obvious exceptions include

The Smiths - How Soon Is Now

because Marr turned the novelty on itself and made it something better. Still, you can only write one "How Soon Is Now," otherwise you become "that guy that always does that thing" to his guitar, which, everyone knows, gets old. (This is why the fair only comes to town once a year.)

The good examples of tremolo use,

Spaghetti-Western guitar

as James pointed out, are found in abundance on the soundtrack circuit, which Portishead owes a lot to. Morricone used it with style. John Barry as well. Just about any electric blues, country, or rock album has its share of tremolo. The Stones, check. Newer rock/pop stuff as well. Lanois, as mentioned, including his work with Willie Nelson, is wonderful. PJ Harvey (the Dance Hall at Louse Post record she did with Parish especially). Steven Street productions (his guitar sounds in general are some of my favorite) are fine exaples of how to use the effect.

Tremolo is often confused with vibrato, which by deinition, is, a rapid fluctuation of pitch slightly above and below the main note. So, where tremolo effects the volume of a note, vibrato effects the pitch of the note.

Steve Vai

[former guitar nerd confessional]

I remember reading an interview with him in Guitar Player back in the 80s (ACT LIKE YOU KNEW) where he claimed to go through one Floyd Rose tremolo a week while touring with Diamond Dave. Goddamn, dude. He'd also router out the wood just beneath the tremolo so that he could pull it up even farther, so far in fact that the strings out bottom out on the last fret.

[/former guitar nerd confessional]

What Ross was refering to, the Floyd Rose Tremolo Bar, is a device that effects the pitch of a sound. Often referred to as a "whammy bar." And what cock-obsessed, zit-faced, angst-ridden teenage dude doesn't listen to Steve Vai and not want to grab his whammy, fall on his knees in front of his bedroom mirror (with his bedroom door securely locked), stick his tongue way out, and just go nuts?

are talking tremelo amp fx, i.e. pops staples, or tremelo bar fx, i.e. ike turner?

It would make more sense to call it a Vibrato Bar, but I guess that just sounds stupid.

To add another layer of confusion, there is another effect that is a combination of tremolo and vibrato where sound is bounced between the stereo spectrum, causing a fluctuation in volume on each separate channel and (when listened to in stereo) causes a warbling of pitch. This is often referred to as "doppler," "stereo tremolo," "rotary speaker," or "Leslie???."

Leslie is a type of speaker. A big wooden box with a spinning woofer in the bottom and a spinning horn in the top. The box has slats cut into it, so when the speaker spins, sound shoots out of the slots. This causes the doppler effect for listeners. Leslie speakers were used in association with the Hammond, Wurlitzer, and Rhodes pianos/organs back in the day. In fact, Portishead's song "Rhodes" is, as the title implies, a Rhodes piano played through a Leslie cabinet.

I used to have a Hammond, two Leslies, and a Rhodes (space constrainsts forced me to sell everything except the suitcase Rhodes). It's quite a wonderful device, and I'd encourage you to check one out in real life sometime. Many churches have Leslie for their organs. You can see one in the Portishead NY video as well.

Depending on how the engineer mics the cabinet, Leslies can sound quite stunning.

If you've the space and the interest, Leslie's can be used for any number of things. (See 764-Hero's song "Leslie," where they run what sounds like the entire song through the speaker.) You can use the speaker as an outboard device. Route any sound from your mixer through an amp that powers the Leslie, and, with mics, bring the signal back. They are beautiful.

To be clear, though, they are big and heavy and loud. It's like have a coffin with two dead bodies sitting in your studio. Nice for setting a plant or candle on top of, though.

Most effects programs have a rotary speaker setting in them, modeled after the Leslie. Most people settle for an effects unit instead of trying to deal with something as big and overwhelming as a Leslie. But nothing compares to the real thing.

Don't get me started on elctroplates...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Wow, knowledge being dropped! Muchas gracias, Bambouche.

I remember when "Monster" came out, I was like: dude has a new pedal or something.

Paz....'Ruiz

• ---Nobody metioned the baddest mother of them all...Link Wray! Also, Davie Allen.
    This is the Santo & Johnny...

Also, check out Little Walter's "Blue and Lonesome" on Checker. Hard tremolo blues!