Job discrimination (sorta RR)

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
So I work in a gear/house record shop, and we were discussing some of the 'finer' selling points of the Numark ipod mixer (why we got 25 of these, no one seems to know). So the selling point of it working good for little divey bars that have dudes that come in and dj off their ipods let to the statement from one of the owners: "This is perfect for rock. And hip hop, you don't need to beatmatch hip hop."Me and one of the only other hip hop dudes were like "Whaaaaaa?!?!" And turned into a debate where they were claiming that mixing house is harder than hip hop. My only point was beatmatching 4 to the 4 oomcha-oomcha-oomcha is easier than the syncopated rhythms of hip hop. So, is house harder to beatmatch than hip hop?discuss.

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    main rule of thumb is the faster the beat, the easier to beatmatch. Plus "genre" DJs have it easier coz the bpms are usually all similar.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Beatmatching is exactly the same to me, no matter what kind of music I'm playing.

Mixing, is a whole different thing tho.

• Options
    When I used to dj somewhat actively I had an easier time beatmatching house, but partly because I quickmixed hiphop and didn't have as much time as with a house record to get them to line up. It also depends if you're LOOOOONG mixing or just lining it up for a few bars.

It's all relative homie.

house DJs are more likely to have signature mixes that they always do. It's how you get the hot ladies

• Options
    S****(*), does the crockpots you have have the pullout stoneware pot inside of it for easy cleaning? I might be looking for a couple those. You still got them shits? Yeah I'm drunk, what.

yo!

I'll go check.

Do they have to match?

• Options
    Nah, they don't have to match. One is gonna go to my spot and one to my parents. Actually, if you have a third one I can send one to my sister's house too. Lemme get the darkest one possible so the chicken cooks better.

• Beatmatching is exactly the same to me, no matter what kind of music I'm playing.

Beatmatching house is easier than beatmatching hip hop.
    Mixing house is more difficult than mixing hip hop.

just my two cents

• House is the easiest to beat match.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    mixin shit out of key drives me crazy

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Beatmatching is exactly the same to me, no matter what kind of music I'm playing.

exactly when i DJ i pretty much beat match everything, rock, house, disco, boogie, synthpop, reggae its all good.

the mixing is a totally differant animal.. are you going for quick cuts or long blends? typically im a blend man so beat matching is essential, then its gotta be in key / musically complement the previous record.

not to mention i tend to like to have lyrics from track to track tell a lil story / relate.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    S****(*), does the crockpots you have have the pullout stoneware pot inside of it for easy cleaning? I might be looking for a couple those. You still got them shits? Yeah I'm drunk, what.

wait. isn't the bigger question whether or not the fireplace sold?

wait. isn't the bigger question whether or not the fireplace sold?

Didn't even try. Got a job instead so now I might keep it for my next apt.... thinking of buying a Subaru and moving upstate! Beacon is the new Park Slope dudes!

• thinking of buying a Subaru and moving upstate! Beacon is the new Park Slope dudes!

comedy, Beacon is like Park Slope in that they are both in NY state.