thanksgiving without murder...(nttr)

spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
...or bird flu.each year 40 million turkeys are raised on factory farms for the holidays alone. they live in filth, bred and drugged to produce abnormal amounts of flesh; they can barely stand up. disease runs rampant, to which more hormones and antibiotics are added. cooking should kill the bird flu, but what about the cutting board, knives and utensils used to prepare the turkey? additional information in my opinion there are other problems with thanksgiving mainly celebrating the displacement and murder of people. but i also realize our parents and friends might not understand or care about that and consider it a time to get together with family. here i offer a substitute for the vegetarians (vegans can probably substitute or leave out a few things and make something pretty close.sorry for the dramatic headline and politics.plaese to share vegan / vegetarian recipes as well. hope those that try this enjoy it. no-turkey turkey recipe (nttr)[/b] i leave out the pkg frozen puff pastry or yuba thawed. i find it makes the whole thing a little too dry and bready. but it was in the original recipe given to me so i left it as well. yield: 10 servings?? lb loaf multigrain bread (increase to 2 lb if desired)2 tbsp margarine or butter2 medium carrots, finely diced2 large stalks celery, finely diced1 large onion, finely diced black pepper to taste, freshly ground?? cup parsley, finely chopped1 tsp whole-leaf sage, crumbled?? cup egg substitute or egg replacer?? cup vegetable broth or water2 lbs chicken-flavored seitan cut horizontally into 1-inch slices (save liquid)1 cup brown gravy ??? recipe below1 pkg frozen puff pastry or Yuba thawed (optional) Gravy2 tsp margarine or butter4 tbsp onion, finely chopped4 rounded tbsp whole wheat pastry flour4 cups seitan cooking liquid or water4 tbsp sodium reduced Tamari or Soy Sauce (omit if using seitan cooking liquid) freshly ground black pepper, to tasteBreak bread into 1-inch chunks; dry in a large bowl, uncovered, at least 8 hours.Melt margarine or butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Transfer to large mixing bowl; cool to lukewarm. Add pepper, bread cubes, parsley, sage, egg substitute or egg replacer, and broth or water. Toss to combine. Set aside at least 30 minutes to allow liquids to soak into bread.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with heavy-duty foil; spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. Build a base of seitan with 3 rows. Brush seitan with gravy on both sides as you lay them on foil-lined baking sheet; arrange slices, rows narrowing as you stack upward, forming a mound. Wet hands slightly, and press stuffing mixture around seitan to cover completely. Press into a neat oval. Roll pastry sheets to 1/16-inch in thickness. Overlapping slightly to make a large rectangle, drape pastry over mound; trim excess away around bottom. Seal edges with dabs of cold water. Use scraps to cut out decorative shapes (leaves, apples, etc.); attach with dabs of cold water. For a shiny crust, brush pastry lightly with skim milk or soymilk. Bake 1 to 1 ?? hours, covering pastry with foil if it browns too quickly.Transfer ???turkey??? to platter. To serve, cut straight down through pastry, stuffing and seitan to make neat ??-inch slices. Spoon gravy over each serving.Note: Yuba is the film that develops from heating soymilk. It is available in dried form in Chinese and Japanese groceries. If using, reconstitute sheets by soaking 5 minutes in water in a flat shallow dish, or between layers of wet towels. It will turn white and pliable, but will still be fragile. Cover oval mound with at least 2 and preferably 3 sheets of Yuba, trimming excess and smoothing it down as much as possible. Brush entire surface with melted margarine or vegetable shortening. Bake 1 to 1 ?? hours. Allow standing 15 minutes before cutting.Brown GravyIf you use prepared seitan, substitute water flavored with tamari or soy sauce for the cooking liquid. If you prefer smooth gravy, omit the chopped onion and add a pinch of onion powder.PreparationMelt margarine or butter over medium heat in a heavy, nonstick medium skillet. Add onion; cook stirring until onion softens, about 2 minutes. Transfer onion to a small bowl; wipe skillet clean with a paper towel or napkin. Add flour to skillet; cook stirring constantly over medium heat until flour browns and gives off a toasted fragrance, about 5 minutes. Remove flour from heat; add seitan liquid or flavored water. Return to heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until gravy comes to a boil and thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in reserved onion and pepper to taste. Cook 1 minute to blend flavors. If necessary, thin with a little more liquid if the gravy looks too thick and simmer 1 minute.Makes 4 ?? cups

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Being a vegetarian, I've had tofurkey the past 6 years now.

• I just eat chicken, not like that is a huge world apart or anything.

Perhaps I'll just cut out chicken:

Link.

• Lisa: Wait Dad! Good news, everyone! You don't have to eat meat! I've got enough gazpacho for everyone. [Crowd murmurs.] It's tomato soup, served ice cold! [Crowd laughs out loud.]

Barney: Go back to Russia!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "We carnivores have to stick up for our rights, otherwise, we'll have to eat bean sprouts or who knows what" Julia Child.

I love turkey. To assauge my guilt I cook only organically raised uncaged birds.

Dan

• grafwritah: thanks for adding the links. can never have enough information.

djarcadian: that is one of my favorite simpsons of all time. so many good parts. (independent thought alerts, willie yelling take away the colored chalk, homer chasing the bbq pig yelling its still good its still good, burns laughing when he says he'll donate to charity when pigs fly and then watching the bbq pig go flying by his office window)

• -

• Dudes, thanksgiving was like a month ago.

Then eat the tofurkey on Boxing Day.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Being a vegetarian, I've had tofurkey the past 6 years now.

I'm almost as scared of fake meat as I am of the real shit. We got a vegan fast food joint near us and everything I've seen from there looks inedible.

Gimme yams, nutloaf and a nice quiche. And get me drunk.