Nickel Bags

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
+[/b] -James Brown/Dee Felice Trio - Sunny-Anonymous Twist - Royal Flush b/w Dollars In Fists-OC ??? Half Good Half Sinner -my favourite spot to play at will soon re-open after much renovations and (I hope) much re-wiring-Laksa Curry_ [/b] -my speakers are blown and headphones were OK for the first little while, but now I need to hear things OUTLOUD and be able to move around while I'm listening to music-woken up at 8 am on Sunday after working til 3:30 am by drunk upstairs neighbours, banging on a pot (I shit you not), yelling and bouncing a ball-the only thing my boss responds to is yelling brought on by total frustration-my real mean grandmother is in town and I will at some point have to visit her -dismembered body of a woman found two blocks from where I live - the other negatives pale in comparison

Comments

• -dismembered body of a woman found two blocks from where I live - the other negatives pale in comparison

oh man that's horrific. i found a finger a year ago in san jose after a prince concert and i was so nauseated

+ Diamond Dave[/b]

- i am finally getting a new cell phone. the one i've been using is like 10 years old.

- my boyfriend bought me an epiphone sg, so excited!

- david strathairn, seriously one of my favorite actors evar, is finally getting his props for that new edward murrow flick

- i finally have been cured of my elaine benes syndrome and have a new girlfriend who is a music nerd too

- Cas, Anna, TheeCasualMale and Cosmo are my new Netflix buddies!

bonus beat:

"Hang 'Em High" on cable tv Sunday piqueing my interest in westerns again

- Sam Hagar[/b]

- erroding phone line + incompetant SBC repairmen = fucking up DSL connection just in time for my roommate's magazine layout deadline to the printing place

- student loans and misc. bills is killing me right now, contemplating moving to a cheaper apartment

- noone on the internet will tell me how to rip this van halen dvd into an mpeg. why don't you guys accept my gift to you??

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    +[/b]

-James Brown/Dee Felice Trio - Sunny

marva whitney kills it on that...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

-dismembered body of a woman found two blocks from where I live - the other negatives pale in comparison

oh man that's horrific. i found a finger a year ago in san jose after a prince concert and i was so nauseated

she was in an alley behind someone's house, the resident found her. i cannot even imagine.

• i found a dead body once. i was so shook it felt like someone smacked me in the nose. like when your face goes numb. really gross feeling. i guess i felt like the dead body was gonna come back to life or something so i walked really slow and quietly around it.

this thread is not going how I thought it would at all. sorry to start it off on such a macabre tip.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    + i moved out of my family's house a month ago and i'm in love with my new place. it's on a good street, the street name - sierra bonita - is pretty sounding and fun to say. its a couple blocks from aron's, fat beats, and some fabulous shopping (a.y.o.). the backyard is about to be finished. the neighbor has a female pitbull that's one year old and cute as all hell. and just being at home makes me happy nowadays.

+ the job's been stressful, but in a good way. i used to just sit on soulstrut all day, now i'm learning a lot about the music biz and have been clumbsily putting an artist we manage on tour.

+ my new place is 2 mins away from pampas at the farmer's market - a brazilian buffet spot that i could eat at every day of the week

+ i went to philly for halloween to visit my best friends who just moved out there and had fun. now they're planning a trip to miami for us for new year's.

+ my trip to berkeley and san francisco last weekend was great. usc girls invaded the city. my dream job would be to work at rooky's and take dancing lessons from dick. strongly considering moving to the bay by middle of next year.

- i live in a duplex. i don't like saying duplex.

- i miss my tivo. i miss not paying rent.

- travelling makes me buy records and alcohol like i actually have money to spend on those luxuries.

- laguna beach is over

- i have too much work to do to finish writing a thoughtful post.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

1. Going back to school! Yay!

2. Going back to school! Yay!

3. Going back to school! Yay!

4. I have food, water & beer.

5. Quitting my job.

1. Feeling lost.

2. Feeling lost.

3. Feeling lost.

4. Sleeping disorders are a bitch.

5. Quitting my job. (less cash)

• oops! sorry. here's my joyful top 5vers!

1. gettin laid [off]. you know what? i hated this job. it really skewed my perception of LA. i got a minute or 2 to write some grant proposals and i think im gonna go back to my social work roots as it has always made me feel more invested in the community i live in.
    the town i live in - thee midniters
    2. friends on and off the board helping me with shit right now. i feel loved, and that's always nice. seriously, some of these folks have saved my life and my sanity.
    i love how you love me - the paris sisters
    3. i havent really bought records in almost a year. i thought this was like my existence buying these things. but its helped me appreciate what i have and not get all wrapped up in having. plus i learned how to "download" "mp3s" which is like free music while im at work.oogum boogum - brenton wood
    4. thanksgiving. well, me and the folks arent really close. they think im weird which is fine. but lots of kin be dying in the family and they make me do all the talking at the funerals which has made me try and be closer the the parents. so far nothing much has changed, but i still give it a try cuz eventually theyll succumb to my charms or be too old and tired to resist. the exit - the newcomers
    5. this sounds good!

ghostride the whip!

• nickel bags?

• i found a dead body once. i was so shook it felt like someone smacked me in the nose. like when your face goes numb. really gross feeling. i guess i felt like the dead body was gonna come back to life or something so i walked really slow and quietly around it.

Where does one "find" a dead body.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    *playing boggle with my girlfriend alot lately, good times

*thanksgivings coming up, should be alot of fun

*been crossing alot of wants off thee olde wantlist lately

*selling raers on ebay finally, nice to get a bunch of cash and clear room for more records

*looking forward to marklatency coming up to the NW

Where does one "find" a dead body.

i found one in my roomates room once and it was her

• Where does one "find" a dead body.

i found one in my roomates room once and it was her

That's not really "finding" it. I mean, you "found" it, but that's kinda like finding a record your roommate left laying around, except nastier.

My condolences... ?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    ??? life is good.
    ??? finally got a working TV to watch movies on
    ??? found a few decent records
    ??? cookies
    ??? no dead bodies

but if I had to complain...

??? been sick
    ??? mice in my apartment
    ??? just got sniped on 2 records
    ??? finding quarters for laundry is hard, yo
    ??? TV has a weird green spot

• ??? life is good.
    ??? mice in my apartment

d-con poison

i had one last month

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    what 2 records yo?

• A+++++ super ebayer:

-boss is out of town for conference for one week...not being micro-managed and constantly berated does wonders for self-esteem!

-finally getting around to reading some books i've gotten from the library. "great and desperate cures" by e. valenstein. good shit.

-back in the bay area after two years in socal. finally i can do my grocery shopping some place that's not in a strip mall.

-actually getting good deals on records on ebay.

-new criterion collection releases are tops (hara-kiri, le samourai).

negative feedback:

-flat tire set me back 90 dollars.

-speeding ticket: 230 dollars.

-not enough time to make music anymore (also, need new gear).

-seeing the doctor every few weeks for symptoms which may or may not be serious is

-still slacking on gre's.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    good:

1. got promos of my e.p.

2. two seperate record deals in the works
    3. just did a high profile remix (can't discuss who yet)
    4. orange juice - you can't hide your love forever
    5. strawberry mochi

bad:
    1. my friends DMBQ were in a horrible car accident while on tour about a week ago. one of them has passed away. my close friend who was their road manager is in a full body cast and has a six month recovery ahead of her. she has no insurance.
    2. also her ex-boyfriend just died of a heroine overdose.
    3. friends moving away
    4. research paper due thrusday
    5. music gear breaking

• Aw man its hard to have a top 5 today, but I'll give it a go.

+ I have like 50 hours of PTO to use before the end of the year.

+ I am getting a big promotion that should lead to a big raise.

+ My slumlord finally made some repairs to my apartment. (half assed but better then nothing)

+ Been going to the gym with my girlfriend a lot and I actually kind of like it. She told me I am not allowed to become a muscle head though. I told her not to worry.

+ I get paid on Friday

- My girlfriend and I had to take our cat to the emergency vet last night. He is better now but the bill is like $500 and rising. Goodbye savings. The other bad news is what he has will probably be a chronic problem that will cost us a shit load of money.

- My girlfriends family sucks. Her parents are splitting up and the rest of her family are assholes. The holidays will be really hard for her. I hate to see her so unhappy.

- Bank account is crazy low and saving is almost gone.

- Gas

- My paycheck on Friday will disappear almost instantly once I pay off my bills.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    +[/b]

Favourite version of that song and maybe one of my favourite tracks ever.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ??? life is good.
    ??? mice in my apartment

d-con poison

i had one last month

mice are harmless, they die off too quick to pass disease onward. rats on the other hand, aint no joke.

BK LAGER

-after three months of frustration and looking like an incompetant jackass, science is finally behaving and my boss has stopped grilling me at every lab meeting

-my editor decides to revamp the pay schedule for all the freelancers, cutting my side hustle flow in half. then she sends me a seperate e-mail informing me that my pay cut is less drastic.

-gigs in nyc and other places. serato was worth every fucking cent.

-day 2 of "no coffee in the AM" and I never felt more awake.

-old contacts hollerin for beats. along with this "break in the road" shit, I'm getting excited about producing again.

MILLER LITE

-dad has cancer. they caught it stupid early and the tumor doesn't seem that aggressive, surgery on thursday. but still...that's cancer.

-running out of room in the expedit. no room for another one. thus begins hours of digitizing dollar bin shit.

-thanksgiving in jersey.

-my girl's ex's $2000 in credit card debt that she is somehow responsible for. (laywerstrut, holler back...)

-sudoku is like crack.

+[/b]

Favourite version of that song and maybe one of my favourite tracks ever.

listened to it a few more times last night!

i can't decide between that one, the original and the les mcann version.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

??? TV has a weird green spot

Do you speakers setup next to your TV? If yes, move 'm!
    Your green spot will dissappear.

• Meat loaf (the food)

1. 'Undeclared' on DVD - by the guy that did 'Freaks and Geeks'. Funny show.
    2. Lou Rawls: The Axelrod Years - UK comp
    3. blogging
    4. Yardbirds - Heart Full of Soul
    5. Os Mutantes video on Bedazzled video comp. Very cool (with Tom Ze sitting in the audience)

Meat Loaf (the "singer)

1. Work
    2. Work
    3. War
    4. War
    5. War

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

-sudoku is like crack.

In our house, we call them 'Crack Puzzles'

my wife is addicted.

-sudoku is like crack.

In our house, we call them 'Crack Puzzles'

my wife is addicted.

i live with an addict as well

not to be greedy - but can I please add to my bag and say that Barbara Mason has one of the most amazing voices ever?
    And that Carole King is one of the most amazing songwriters ever. Uptown is like the musical accompaniment to If Beale Street Could Talk. And Crying in the Rain is a sad song for lions and lionesses.
    And that Joe Bataan???s If I Were a King turns me into jelly.
    And Eddie Kendricks??? Each Day I Cry a Little turns me into jam.

• Heads[/b]

+ Waiting for my Little Denice ???Check Me Out??? 45 to arrive in the mail.

+ Paul Nice???s Brazil Mix ??? I was going to list a favorite track but now realize I can???t, they all make me feel happy when I listen to them!

+ Looking forward to a long weekend away from work next week.

+ Getting ready to travel to Korea, Johannesburg and Dubai right after Thanksgiving.

+ Finally found a good NY style pizza joint near my work

Tails[/b]

- Seeing this morning that an LP I paid $50 for last week just sold for half that last night after I went to bed as a buy it now on Ebay!

- Never getting any sleep because my 13 month old daughter won???t stop waking up every two or three hours.

- Finally getting my daughter back to sleep last night only to have our smoke alarm go off for no apparent reason!!

- Worrying about the hotels I will be staying in when I travel after what happened in Jordan.

- Having my job get worse on a daily basis after my boss was let go from the company last month.

Speaking of found fingers, did anyone ever see a movie called The Other about this creepy boy who carries around this severed finger in a small box? I only saw it once when I was young but that movie freaked me the f*ck out!

• Paradise:
    + My new job rules, great pay, benefits, hours, and very understanding people, we'll see how long the honymoon lasts.

+ Got a line on the ill sci-fi and pulp novel collection, all originals from the 50s through the 80s, from a guy who did his Master's thesis on sci-fi and fantastic tales.

+ Flooded with new music, mixes and records, the ears are happy.

+ Wifey's been giving me a pass on Sundays to go watch football with the fellas, so appreciated.

+ Colts 9-0, playing like a championship team, we'll see what happens with maybe the three toughest weeks coming up.

Inferno:
    - New job means no vacation time for 6 months, no PR for the holidays really hurts.

- The seed doesn't want to play punk rock barbies anymore, now they are all ballerinas, which is cool, but if I have to play barbies, I'd rather listen to the Ramones than Tchaikovsky.

- Bloomberg won, more catering to rich New Yorkers, support for wastefull projects like West Side Stadium, and no investigation on the MTA crooked accounting scandal.

- Bush administration scandals are making me sick, and now I've completely lost my faith in our government.

- Not getting enough sleep.

All in all, life is good. All things in perspective.

• Paradise:
    + Colts 9-0, playing like a championship team, we'll see what happens with maybe the three toughest weeks coming up.

Go Colts!
    Their win over the Patriots (finally!) was quite a relief!
    Who do you think their biggest challenge ahead is - The Steelers?