5IVES

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
did top/bottom fives get banned when i wasn't looking?scraping the bottom of the barrel:1. throat infection and cold2. annoying and inescapable co-workers3. insane cost of moving (anyone got any cheap moving company suggestions i.e. $1000 from nc to az?)4. missing basketball on tv for so damn long5. annoying bureaucratic paperworktop of the tippity-top:1. return of puto bong bong2. going back home in a little over a month3. face-melting old caves and temples4. record trade-a-thon scheduled when i get back5. miracle of antibiotics bonus track: the bonus track "freedom" on the cd issue of "mingus mingus mingus mingus mingus". hard like that.

Comments

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    "3. insane cost of moving
    (anyone got any cheap moving company suggestions i.e. $1000 from nc to az?)"

Good luck. I just moved from AZ to VA, and the Uhaul was 1400 with an auto trailer. Gas ran about $500. Total move, 2100.00

Moving compaines wont get you for less...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    re: moving... I've moved twice across the country, and each time it was relatively the same amount of money. One time I drove everything in a truck, the other time a storage facility shipped it in a container I packed myself and I drove across in my car. Both times it came out to about the same - between 2 & 3 thousand, all expenses added up.

You should ask each truck company if they need to get trucks to AZ because they'll cut you a deal then. That worked when I moved west. Other than that, sell some records!

• The well rounded Reducer

Tony Jaa:

1. Concert - Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
    2. Film - Kung Fu Hustle
    3. Records - Ian Carr's Nucleus
    4. Nerdery - getting nothing less than an A- on all 10 papers due in my Mass Media class
    5. Book - "White Like Me" by Tim Wise

Chuck Norris:

1. Getting the new DJ Premiere "Kings Of Hip Hop" promo only to find out the tracks on it are "unmixed until final release"
    2. recieving news of my 15 year high scool class reunion - has it been that long? time flies when you're having fun.
    3. trying to be an adult and saving to buy a house
    4. digging through the crates at your favorite mom and pop record store only to see all the records you bought your ex-girlfriend. And where's that fuckin' Ayler you got in the seperation?!?!?
    5. hearing a grown man use the term "colored" in reference to a black woman at the post office - news flash asshole, it's 2005.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

5. hearing a grown man use the term "colored" in reference to a black woman at the post office - news flash asshole, it's 2005.

This white dude asked me if I was "negro" down in Georgia a few years ago...What makes it worse is that he was the American pastor at my mom's church.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

This white dude asked me if I was "negro" down in Georgia a few years ago...What makes it worse is that he was the American pastor at my mom's church.

So what'd you say?

Besides giving him the ?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Concert - Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings

She'll be here on Friday. Really looking forward to it.

So what'd you say?

Besides giving him the ?

I guess it's technically true, so I said, "I'm African American." What's so crazy is that it was in the context of me telling him I was getting ready to go to Ghana, and he replied, "Oh, are you negro?" Like the only possible reason someone would want to venture off to Africa is to be a missionary or to find their roots!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    IT'S GOOD

-Chateau Bonnet 2000 Bordeaux

-arugula, radishes and black olives with red wine vinegar and olive oil

-those wee Portugese custard tarts with almonds

-J-Zone - "Gimme Dat Beat Fool" remixes

-Junior Byles - "A Matter of Time w/"Fun & Games" version

BONUS: The raccoon embroidery from Ms.Damn's thrift store thread. Proving that folk art is where it's at.

IT'S NOT SO GOOD

-Black Market Militia LP - what a total disappointment

-having to show up an hour early to work for a meeting where they guy who is running the place just talks a lot and says absolutely nothing (I'm so tired right now)

-people I've met once or twice and are all touchy-feely - stop squeezing me

-folks who repeatedly kick the back of my chair in movies and then start eating the ice from their pop in a loud and obnoxious manner - does this 200-seat theatre look like your living room? Je ne pense pas.

-turnips - ick.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    -people I've met once or twice and are all touchy-feely with me - stop squeezing me

Who can blame 'em?[/b]

[color:#666666] (Sorry. Couldn't resist.)[/color]

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Who can blame 'em?[/b]

laughing and laughing right now.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Good
    1. DJing twice this past week has been real fun, kind of sloppy, but fun. Played Geggy Tah in front of 800 people last night. No feeling like it in the world.
    2. Girls
    3. Timbaland - "Indian Flute." When I first heard this song, I thought he was saying "I love your Indian food." That's not what he's saying. I've been rocking this shit with steadiness for over a year now, never gets old. Jamming that shit on my headphones in the school library as we speak/as I type
    4. Polo shirts
    5. Getting a copy of Maximum Joy - Stretch/Silent Street (except on 7", without the dub, but it will do for now)

Bad
    1. My grama fell down when her leg gave way (she has osteoperosis) and broke her femur. This is the second time this happened; last time it was when she was on a hike (!) a few months ago. She's such an active woman that I know this is killing her spirit. She recovered really well last time, but at 78, how many times can you do this? This also means she can't travel down to DC for my graduation, which makes me immensely bummed.
    2. School work has been super, super dull lately. Took forever to write a paper on the relationship of the reader and the narrator on The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, because, you know what, I really do not care at all
    3. Fun school is ending soon. Goodye deep conversations about intimacy and the postcolonial
    4. My hair is gross and I need to cut it and wash it
    5. Don't know what I am doing with myself after May 22nd

• Bad

Feelin' it. I've been too busy/lazy to get a haircut for awhile now. Been rocking a ball cap for months with little hair wings poppin' out the sides.

SONIC

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

Who can blame 'em?[/b]

Is that O-dub?

Bad
    1. My grama fell down when her leg gave way (she has osteoperosis) and broke her femur. This is the second time this happened; last time it was when she was on a hike (!) a few months ago. She's such an active woman that I know this is killing her spirit. She recovered really well last time, but at 78, how many times can you do this? This also means she can't travel down to DC for my graduation, which makes me immensely bummed.

Sorry to hear hear this [email]M@t[/email] ... although my mom is no where as old as your grandma, she's gots some signs of osteop... and I hate to images something like this happening. Best wishes.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Who can blame 'em?[/b]

Is that O-dub?

I know. I hesitated blowing his spot like that, cause he is usually the voice of reason in those "TITTY" threads. Dude got a baby too, which you'd think would stop him from hollering at the females on the board. (File Under: TrekkyFetishRaer)

Bad

Feelin' it. I've been too busy/lazy to get a haircut for awhile now. Been rocking a ball cap for months with little hair wings poppin' out the sides.

SONIC

I promised myself a week ago the next time I washed my hair I would step out of the shower and cut it immediately, and I've kept good on that promise so far - by not washing my hair. This weekend, it needs to happen. My hair used to be so long, I look at photos and I just think "no more." Can't do this to myself

Also, can I give a bonus 6, or maybe just add on to the Indian Flute props, to Ms Jade?! What the heck happened to her? TELEPHONE WOKE ME UP THE WHOLE TIME I WAS FUCKING DREAMING she is so hard

Bad

Sorry to hear hear this [email]M@t[/email] ... although my mom is no where as old as your grandma, she's gots some signs of osteop... and I hate to images something like this happening. Best wishes.

Thanks man. I just tried calling her, but she wasn't around. Hopefully she is outside chilling. Seriously, though, she had to move back in with my parents after the last time, had to stop hiking permanently (she's gone weekly for about 15 years now. And not some grama hiking, she's got a group with some young people [a bunch of cops, I think?] and they go to mountains and shit and she's all King of the Hill on that shit. Turkish Grama Rita is killing it. She came down to DC a year ago to visit me and we walked all over the city; by far a more active visit than when my folks come visit me)

This also makes me nervous as due to a prior illness, and my mom's osteo, I have a good chance of having this happen myself later in life. I gotta get on my calcium like my mother keeps telling me..

indeed, my mom keeps seding me big bottles of Tums with Calcium added....that shit just sits in my cupboard. I can't stand milk so I'm forced ot drink calcium fortified OJ...doesn't taste bad either. Hope she bounces back from this.

Bad

Thanks man. I just tried calling her, but she wasn't around. Hopefully she is outside chilling. Seriously, though, she had to move back in with my parents after the last time, had to stop hiking permanently (she's gone weekly for about 15 years now. And not some grama hiking, she's got a group with some young people [a bunch of cops, I think?] and they go to mountains and shit and she's all King of the Hill on that shit. Turkish Grama Rita is killing it. She came down to DC a year ago to visit me and we walked all over the city; by far a more active visit than when my folks come visit me)

This also makes me nervous as due to a prior illness, and my mom's osteo, I have a good chance of having this happen myself later in life. I gotta get on my calcium like my mother keeps telling me..

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, Matt...I wouldn't worry too much about osteoporosis if I were you, though, unless you are already showing signs of ostepenia. Women are more susceptible to osteoporosis because having babies toatally leaches their bones. This is why most women should use hormones (estrogen at the very least) throughout their adult lives and during menopause, despite what the media tries to scare them into thinking.

I can't stand milk

You're probably a little lactose intolerant too, huh?

Just add these non-dairy sources of calcium to your diet:

Legumes
    Dark, leafy green vegetables (ie, spinach and collard greens)
    Tortillas made with limestone
    Tofu
    Nuts
    Foods where bones are consumed, such as sardines and salmon

Most people can't absorb calcium supplements, so don't bother. Good luck to your mother, and tell her to start on some low-dose hormone therapy (Vivelle-Dot or Menostar would be a good place to start).