how to downsize...

KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I'm tryin' to minimize records. Any ideas? I'm already getting rid of shit that I have already sampled or Lp's w/ nothing but a break but I need some more pointers...should I just start randomly going through and getting rid of shit w/ out even listening to it? Should I get rid of ALL doubles? Get rid of all CTI's?How do ya'll do it?

Comments

• Get rid of everything that sucks. That'll probably eliminate at least 75% of your collection

• And don't hang on to trashed doubles even if they are medium priced records. These accumulate fast when buying collections. Just donate them to goodwill or a friend for a starter copy.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I downsized a few years ago and the way I did it wa eliminate the stuff that I knew I wasn't going to use anymore or didn't like. You gotta listen to the stuff you think you want to get rid of and just do it.

• Get rid of everything that sucks. That'll probably eliminate at least 75% of your collection
    OUCH! Please define "sucks" a little better...

OUCH! Please define "sucks" a little better...

I try to keep only the records that are really incredible or hold immense personal significance. Nothing personal towards you, I eliminated at least half of my collection by cutting boring soul jazz, snoozy bebop-by-the-numbers, rare shit "pieces" that I never listened to or just had for "props yo", disco 12"s that I would never realistically play out.... the only thing I haven't really touched is my hip-hop collection. Too many memories.

• This seems like solid advice... I really don't feel like ebaying all that shit though so I guess I'll just find somewhere to store it all and get a table at the next record show...I guess here is my quandry, if I get rid of it now will I ever see it again...they aren't really pressing these records anymore, even "commons" may one day be hard to come by...maybe that's my problem I just have to let shit go...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ...maybe that's my problem I just have to let shit go...
    True
    record table sounds good

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm tryin' to minimize records. Any ideas?

Try to overcome whatever completionist tendencies you might have; most artists don't have more than two or three albums that you really need.

• GREAT idea! Like how many freakin' Herbie Mann records do I need? Push Push, Memphis Underground and that's it right?...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Try to overcome whatever completionist tendencies you might have; most artists don't have more than two or three albums that you really need.

Yeah but what happens when you come by his place and accuse him of his Gladys Knight discography not being 'right'?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yeah but what happens when you come by his place and accuse him of his Gladys Knight discography not being 'right'?

Okay, the issue of getting one's "discographies right" is really only relevant to the greatest of artists. I think I was talking about it last week with respect to Aretha, which would probably mean getting most of the releases from I Never Loved a Man... to Amazing Grace... which is still only about ten albums on the outside.

I'm not going to make an issue of it unless I see he has all the Carolyn and Erma Franklin stuff, anyway.

• I disagree on Aretha discog... I have my three favorite Aretha records and while I'm interested in picking up more, it's not CRUCIAL.

That said, Karlito, you don't need ANY Herbie Mann. Fuck all what Marco says, bloody wanker