Another Expedit question (sorry)...

bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Finally after several years of dreaming copped my self an Expedit.Thing is the room its going to be placed in isn???t ready for furniture yet, I got to sand the floors and a whole load of other stuff. (the previosue house owners had rather suspect taste).And the thing is Ikea (here in the UK anyway) only give like 7 days for you to check the goods are fine and not in anyway damaged and that there is nothing missing . So I???m a little worried about leaving the Expedit boxed and finding out a few months latter that its got defects or bits missing.I???ve already noticed one of the wardrobes I bought has a couple of areas of damage, nothing too worrying but enough to get me thinking about the Expedit .So here???s my question:If I set up the Expedit in another room will it be easy/possible to pick it up (with help from a friend) and transfer it to the correct room when the room is ready (same level not going to negotiate the stairs with this thing).Or is it just to damn heavy or is the structure not strong enough for it to be moved as a whole unit?Any advice would be greatCheers

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    they are pretty light & easy to move once assembled. I'd put it together cause Ikea stuff can be, well... unpredictable at times.

• they are pretty light & easy to move once assembled. I'd put it together cause Ikea stuff can be, well... unpredictable at times.

Thanks man.

Think I???ll start it in a moment.
    Cheers

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you can get through the doors it should be possible.

As far as the ikea expedits go the heavy parts are the inner shelfs, cause these are 'alomst' solid wood. The outer, thicker parts, are infact hollow, and made of very thin outer shell, around a mdf frame, which is stuffed with cardboard? (I managed break mine one the home from the shop.)
    Unless you bought the realnice expensive versions. In which case those thing will be HEAVY.

Also taking thing back to ikea is a major pain in the ass. If you have to do this try and pick a quite day, maybe take a good book, and possibly a few valium.

• Also taking thing back to ikea is a major pain in the ass. If you have to do this try and pick a quite day, maybe take a good book, and possibly a few valium.

Agreed man.
    Ikea is not a good shopping experience.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Also taking thing back to ikea is a major pain in the ass. If you have to do this try and pick a quite day, maybe take a good book, and possibly a few valium.

Agreed man.
    Ikea is not a good shopping experience.

I got dragged there once on a Saturday, by an exgirlfriend. Big mistake. Some guy lost it and started attacking people with a plank of wood. What made it even freakier, was that the army cadets, for some reason, were helping people pack bags that day (WTF?) and soon he was set upon by a couple of burly guys in full camoflage gear!

• Not to diss the expedit as mine served me well till I move house...but Ikea also sell another shelving soulution thats ideal for records. I can't remember the name of em but they are six segments high, come in either a single or double unit and are a bit more flexible space wise...

• Has anyone ever taken their Expedit apart and put it all back together, like when they moved, for example?

I'm gonna have to do this, and I don't think it's gonna be an easy task. All those little pegs and stuff..

• I wouldn't worry about assembling it...just open the boxes and check out the laminate and make sure it's in good shape...also make sure you have a bag of about ~50 little wood pegs and 8 long hex head screws...

• Has anyone ever taken their Expedit apart and put it all back together, like when they moved, for example?

I'm gonna have to do this, and I don't think it's gonna be an easy task. All those little pegs and stuff..

I did. It gets shaky when you reassemble so you might want to jerryrig some support in there, maybe build in some brackets.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Hey, Does anyone think I can get away w/ not wall mounting this bitch?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

mine isnt wall mounted, and has never been. Its been about 1.5 years and shit is mad sturdy.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

mine isnt wall mounted, and has never been. Its been about 1.5 years and shit is mad sturdy.

FUCK YEAH!!!!!

That's JUST what I wanted to hear!!!

• Hey, Does anyone think I can get away w/ not wall mounting this bitch?

FUCK YEAH!!!!!

I would get a level and make sure that shit wasn't tilted forward or backward. Also if you live in an area with earthquakes you might want to wall mount it.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

FUCK YEAH!!!!!

I would get a level and make sure that shit wasn't tilted forward or backward. Also if you live in an area with earthquakes you might want to wall mount it.

on yeah, what he said for sure. WORK THAT LEVEL!

• Hey, Does anyone think I can get away w/ not wall mounting this bitch?

Mine was leaning a little bit to one side when I put it up and filled it (the larger 5x5 one). So I went ahead and mounted it, after putting a couple furniture pads on the upper back corners where it meets the wall. It took all of 5 minutes to fit the mounts so I say just go ahead and do it.

I wonder if the other storage unit mentioned above is the Billy?

• I wonder if the other storage unit mentioned above is the Billy?
    could be the ivar, they hold A LOT of records.

function over fashion.

• Just made me remember when I got my first expedit, paid for it at Ikea waited in excitedly the next day for it to be deliverd with records lying all over the flat to be filed.
    So delivery goes well all the relevant parts are there so I'm away...Until after putting the outer frame together I discover the all the holes that should have been punched into the inside to hold the pegs that hold up the shelves weren't there...
    Thus followed an afternoon of phone calls pestering to get them to correct the mistake