Weekend DJ wrapup

nrichnrich 932 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Who had a gig this weekend & how did it go?I wasn't planning on DJing, but I decided what the hell the night before.Got to play some new finds and test them out on the crowd. First off, I must say that I have been sleeping on this record.Overwhelmingly strong reaction to this tune. I was flooded withtrainspotter types when I played this.If you dj, you really need to pick this up. What is it, less than $10?Other hits:Nairobi - Funky Soul MakossaBumblebee Unlimited - I got a Big BeeThis cut is basically more than half funky percussion breakdowns, dope.Other thingsLee Moore - Reachin Out, just buy thisStrafe - Set it Off, every time I play this one or two girls comes upand freaks out, they seem to all have spent time in New York & thankme profuselyCaprells - Close your Eyes, damn if this isn't one of the illest cuts ever.People were feelin the hell out of thisRoger & the Gypsies - Pass the Hatchet, timber! People bug out on this & why wouldn't they?Curley Moore and the Cool Ones - Shelley's Rubber Band, always a great reaction on this one

Comments

• i had the weekend off...don't dj again until this saturday.

keep an eye out for the Harlequin 4's version of "set it off"...also done by walter gibbons but with female vocals. it was featured on the playgroup dj kicks mix a few years back. it's pretty tough to track down the original but it's well worth it.

• I played a UNC Indian student group gig on Friday. It was completely bananas, 200+ people and the place was packed to the gills. I played mostly bhangra but most of the requests were for hiphop, so tracks like "Laffy Taffy," "Stay Fly" and "Back Then" had dudes yelling and putting their hands in the air, and girls stepping up to the DJ booth and grinding on each other. When I get some pics, I'll post 'em.

Obligatory stupid request story:
    Two fly Indian chicks came up to the booth during a bhangra version of House of Pain's "Jump Around." Not surprisingly, they asked "Can you play some hiphop?"
    "Ok. Like what?" I asked.
    They looked at each other, completely baffled.
    "Um, um.. we don't know."
    "Well can you give me some names?"
    They both thought for a bit, then one yelled out, "HUMPS! PLAY HUMPS!"
    I smiled and told them "Ok, got it."
    When I played this questionable club banger, the crowd got so hype you'd think I'd just conjured Vishnu and put him in the VIP room. Thank god for iTunes.

• did i read that correctly...a bhangra version of House of Pain!?

Yep. I routinely play bhangra versions of

MOP "Ante Up"
    House of Pain "Jump Around"
    Missy "Work It"
    Dre "Next Episode"
    Dre "Still D.R.E."
    50 "In Da Club"
    Nas "Get Down"
    Terror Squad "Lean Back"
    Usher "Yeah"
    JKwon "Tipsy"
    Punjabi vocals on "Murder She Wrote" riddim
    etc.

Yep. I routinely play bhangra versions of

MOP "Ante Up"
    House of Pain "Jump Around"
    Missy "Work It"
    Dre "Next Episode"
    Dre "Still D.R.E."
    50 "In Da Club"
    Nas "Get Down"
    Terror Squad "Lean Back"
    Usher "Yeah"
    JKwon "Tipsy"
    Punjabi vocals on "Murder She Wrote" riddim
    etc.

Damn there's more shit I don't know about.

By the way speaking of weekend djs...Maceo from De La Soul djed at table 50 last night (Sunday), but I couldn't make it. Anybody go??

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    man, I might have to stick with my every other week gig thing.
    It's fun and all, but it gets exhausting! Sunday is basically worthless after djing.
    Maybe if I drank less it wouldn't be so bad?

I've got much respect for you full timers out there and especially in places that go until 4am!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    oh yeah, almost forgot

finally got to play this out and it got the seal of approval. Still Jivin was killin it.

• When I played this questionable club banger, the crowd got so hype you'd think I'd just conjured Vishnu and put him in the VIP room. Thank god for iTunes.
    I'm so scared of this song

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    When I played this questionable club banger, the crowd got so hype you'd think I'd just conjured Vishnu and put him in the VIP room. Thank god for iTunes.
    I'm so scared of this song
    co-sign and the video...

the song sucks even by pop stadards no intendo

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

I DJ'd a toga party this weekend at my house in Saratoga. That's right, a toga party. Got to use my Ferrari flag as a sash. No homo. I wasn't going to play but I got super drunk and was convinced to setup my tables by a bartender at the club I'm gonna start playing at on Friday's. I didn't last very long because I decided the hot tub would be more fun... and it was.

Still Jivin... killing it, except that I tried to scratch over it and it turns out I'm not that good when I'm completely blacked out. Weird. Good times had for all.

DJ Ferrari

• My "Oh Snap!" monthly was on Saturday in DC. It is going really well and this weekend was no exception. It was probably the most crowded it has ever been (and we got paid double, which was real nice).

As I was packing my gear up (I was pretty faded) I tripped backwards over a crate and managed to bring the *entire* dj setup down with me. It is not very stable (it is a coffin on two pa speakers which are on wheels), but still completely my fault. Basically, it was All the shit (both turntables, mxer and cofin essentially landed on my head, neck and chest. I have a few bruises and a cut on my neck, but that is it really all the damage I sustained. All things considered, I was pretty lucky. Everyone had basically left (except the bar staff - including the really cute bartender I have had my eye on) so it could have been a lot worst, but goddamn...I was embarrassed. After reassembling the setup, I could not pack my shit up fast enough.

Oh, and one of the tone arms will need replacing and I'm gonna lend the club my turntable until it is fixed.

• wow ... thats pretty hilarious.. when it happens to someone else.
    whatever you got paid double that night

but you shoud really be more careful rummie!

Man that sucks... at least you're okay. I almost had a similar thing happen to me in college. I was DJing a sorority party and this drunk chick comes barreling across the room to talk to me and runs right into the table. I go into serious matrix mode and start catching objects as it's all sliding off the table. Through some miracle of science I ended up on my back holding both turntables in the air and balancing the mixer on my chest. Luckily the girl managed to grab the table before it fell on top of me and my equipment. Nothing broke or even came unplugged and all was back to normal in a few minutes. Drunk chicks... yay!

DJ Ferrari

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    My "Oh Snap!" monthly was on Saturday in DC. It is going really well and this weekend was no exception. It was probably the most crowded it has ever been (and we got paid double, which was real nice).

As I was packing my gear up (I was pretty faded) I tripped backwards over a crate and managed to bring the *entire* dj setup down with me. It is not very stable (it is a coffin on two pa speakers which are on wheels), but still completely my fault. Basically, it was All the shit (both turntables, mxer and cofin essentially landed on my head, neck and chest. I have a few bruises and a cut on my neck, but that is it really all the damage I sustained. All things considered, I was pretty lucky. Everyone had basically left (except the bar staff - including the really cute bartender I have had my eye on) so it could have been a lot worst, but goddamn...I was embarrassed. After reassembling the setup, I could not pack my shit up fast enough.

Oh, and one of the tone arms will need replacing and I'm gonna lend the club my turntable until it is fixed.

Damn, M, that sucks. Glad you are ok. In all the changes to that place it would be nice if they built a little something permanent for the DJs. It's not like they are afraid to do a little work, the place is 100% better than when I first worked there, but you are right about the instability of that set up.

CJK

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yea i had a gig on Sat.

went crap....as usual.

i never like my live DJ sets I dunno why. maybe i am that bad.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Man that sucks... at least you're okay. I almost had a similar thing happen to me in college. I was DJing a sorority party and this drunk chick comes barreling across the room to talk to me and runs right into the table. I go into serious matrix mode and start catching objects as it's all sliding off the table. Through some miracle of science I ended up on my back holding both turntables in the air and balancing the mixer on my chest. Luckily the girl managed to grab the table before it fell on top of me and my equipment. Nothing broke or even came unplugged and all was back to normal in a few minutes. Drunk chicks... yay!

DJ Ferrari

we did a happy hour thing on thursday. went ok, except for when I dropped one of the serato records and took a big chunk out of one side.

fuck that.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Rocked Mac's Bar in Lansing. Not a strong turnout, but we worked it out.

dj_pi broke out that...

The track he played was well-received. I'm not sure which one. I was kinda crunk, plus I was too busy trying to be James Brown on the mic.

I've decided that at any night with funk and soul... recognizable stuff is paramount. I had to jump on and play War's "Low Rider," just to make the college kids that came out feel at home.
    Me and the homies, dj_pi and BreakSelf, are feeling our way through it and it's turning out well. I might want to give up rapping if this shit picks up.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    I dropped the Hawkeye track and peeps got down. Props to everyone on this EP though....shit is rediculous and I was sleeping and can't wait for the full thing to come out. Thanks to hobo_d for slapping me in the face and be like..."bitch get this record!"

Don't give up rappin homie. I can lace you with a beat or two if needed.

• Yeah GALAXY is a N.Y.C. CLUB CLASSIC side one is also fire you need to play that to.I did a cd of classics for the cats at work and they loved that cut GOOD,GOOD FEELIN.Dont sleep on WAR.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Played our local establishment 15 miles south of London.

200 through the door and tune highlights were;

Honey & the Bees - Love Addict
    Betty Adams - Ride On (the ultimate cheapie?)
    Speedometer - Work it out
    Dizzy Bull - Got some baby teeth (still cuts a rug.....*doffs cap*)
    etc etc.

But we ended the night on the sweetest of blends, from the Pharcydes 'Runnin', into the instrumental version by The Visioneers. Hands in the air stuff.......job done.

• Saturday i had to DJ a party for a Dutch big dude Photographers Agency, the night went kind of we had to keep the volume kind of low so I kind of felt like we were just playing background music for a 40+ crowd. I played mostly soul/funk/disco stuff and a friend of mine played some hip hop for wich he got some complaints We weren't feelin it so we just got Drunk that night, the money was good though

Sunday I DJ'd at my Brother's Coffeeshop (Hash bar) i play here once or twice a month and really enjoy it, the vibe is very laid back and i can play anything i want..everybody's stoned and no dancefloor pressure just good tunes. Played this one too awesome record!

Peace!

• sconesscones 434 Posts

But we ended the night on the sweetest of blends, from the Pharcydes 'Runnin', into the instrumental version by The Visioneers. Hands in the air stuff.......job done.

Honey & the Bees - Love Addict

I've been playing Baby Do That Thing out lately and it goes over well. I need that Love Addict though. Why's it so damn expensive!?

DJ Ferrari

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I've been playing Baby Do That Thing out lately and it goes over well. I need that Love Addict though. Why's it so damn expensive!?

DJ Ferrari

I play the Winfield Parker version on the regular.....at + 8

Sounds like it shouldn't work, but it so does !

I had a pretty rad gig on Friday. I was supposed to just do a happy hour chill set but when I walked in at 6:00 they were like 'oh shit, the sound system is being redone right now. Won't be ready for a couple hours.'

I had a pretty strong turnout so I just got a little drunky drunk with folks until around 8:30 when they were ready. I had to up the tempo big time for my set because it got pretty clubby real fast but luckily I brought enough GAMM like 12's to get people moving.

People were definitely feeling it and I got to drop a good amount of rare groove staples like California Soul, Hard Times, Crumbs off the Table, Brothers on the Slide, Holy Ghost, Bra and Apache to name a few. I closed it out with my killer blend of Santa Esmerelda's Don't let me be Misunderstood with Delay's Limitations remix track. People were really flipping for that one when they realized it was from Kill Bill and that I was doing a 'mashup'. Hand claps all around.

As I was packing up around 11:00 and the club resident was coming on he said the quote of the weekend, 'Man, you got ridiculous records... that were never meant to be mixed.' Ha!

Oh yeah, Sleeve's My Life is a real killer on a loud system. That's a nice track. I also played What Planet What Station (obviously) and one of the promoters came rushing up to the stage to figure out what it was. He wrote it down on his phone and I told him 'good luck!'. Alright, your turn...

DJ Ferrari

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

...luckily I brought enough GAMM like 12's to get people moving.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    After getting the red lamp re-edit from ferrari's recomendations just wanted to know if you all knew about Femi Kuti-Truth don Die

Both songs we're killer at peak time
    further more por ti-sergeant garcia