Gladys Knight and the Pips

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I'm listening to the "Standing Ovation" LP, and i'm feelin' it.

What other ones are worth picking up?

Thanks.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    This one is preddy good:

• Most if not all of her output on Motown/Soul is really solid.

Cross-polination with Modulations post:

The older Jamaican collectors SWEAR by Gladys Knight. My man A*** says "anyone say that Gladys Knight is NOT the best female soul singer, that man don't know soul music!"

• midnight train to georgia is my shit. So is her her chicken and waffles restraunt in Atl. fo sho.

How did I forget??

(put this above "Silk N' Soul" on your priority list)

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    anyone say that Gladys Knight is NOT the best female soul singer

you know when i listened to the opening track this morning, i was blown away to say the least. and realized that i had been sleeping hard.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    thanks for those suggestions!

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    How did I forget??

drewn

Is this one really good? I always pass on it thinking it's some doo doo music.

( Little dudes know no deal??? )

Peace

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Generally anything with Curtis Mayfield's name splashed across the cover is going to be good. I still have yet to hear the Aretha Franklin record he did - has anyone checked it out?

There really aren't any LP's by Gladys Knight and the Pips on Motown/Soul that are less than superb.

I just got this one the other day:

Really strong, from 1973, with "Heavy Makes You Happy" and a Sly Stone cover that rocks.

How did I forget??

drewn

Is this one really good? I always pass on it thinking it's some doo doo music.

( Little dudes know no deal??? )

Peace

So good.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I love the Motown stuff. Talented and beautiful.

• the "neither one of us" lp has a break.

• She's still singing circles around almost any other singer out there, to this day. Y'all see on one of those BET award shows recently when they did a tribute to her and all these current singers like Faith Evans performed her songs? Then Gladys herself got up there, old as she is now, and just DESTROYED all those other singers. She was so clearly superior in every way, from the voice to showmanship and stage presence, that I just felt embarrassed for those other performers. I really hope some of the younger gurls took notes and learned something about how it's supposed to be done.

• pipe dreams ain`t so hot..
    easy to find..

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    She's still singing circles around almost any other singer out there, to this day. Y'all see on one of those BET award shows recently when they did a tribute to her and all these current singers like Faith Evans performed her songs? Then Gladys herself got up there, old as she is now, and just DESTROYED all those other singers. She was so clearly superior in every way, from the voice to showmanship and stage presence, that I just felt embarrassed for those other performers. I really hope some of the younger gurls took notes and learned something about how it's supposed to be done.

I pretty much said the same thing to my wife when we watched that. I remember a similar sceanrio when at some awards show, they paired Chaka Khan in a duet with Mary J Blige. Now, I love Mary(I dig Faith too), but Chaka took Mary to school without really working very hard. The old school just had to do the road work that never leaves them wanting in a performance setting. Folks coming up behind that generation really have no context to match it.

Have I ever name dropped that I used to make sandwiches for Ms. Gladys at the Borders Cafe in Henderson on several occasions? She is a sweet, down to earth and gracious lady, and still looks fine at her age. Hats off!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Generally anything with Curtis Mayfield's name splashed across the cover is going to be good. I still have yet to hear the Aretha Franklin record he did - has anyone checked it out?

"Sparkle" is one of my fave Aretha's, SOI! That's a $5-10 LP you must buy!
    "Giving Him Something He Can Feel" is one of her all time greatest songs!

• the "neither one of us" lp has a break.

not only does it have a break, it has a SICK cover of "Who is she and what is she to you? "

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Nitty Gritty

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

Thanks for the hint. I'll grab it next time I find it.

Peace

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Nitty Gritty

Here's the hot one. Choice Lp and contains a vocal version of 'Got myself a good man'. Essential DJ fodder.

• Nitty Gritty

Super co-sign, on 'Nitty Gritty' as well as 'You Need Love Like I Do', both cookers.