Missed Opportunities

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
you ever hit a place, but due to your lack of knowledge at the time, didnt do too wellonly to find out later on down the line, the place doesnt existi had a spot by me....an old couple owned itit was a 2nd hand shop with a bunch of crap in it, but a basement full of records. this was in like 2000...i pulled all the crappy late 70s Earth Wind and Fires some shitty dirty disco 12"si know i passed by a bunch of psych/prog craziness but in my journey to find raped soul and funk records i passed em upthe lady who was there would charge a buck for good records (good meaning the sleeve wasnt ripped) and 50 cents for the bad ones...there were also tons of unopened baseball card sets, 1950 playboy mags in mint condtion and a bunch of other cool thingssupposedly the husband passed away and the wife became a reclusethe shop was turned into a nail salon...the owner claims she knows the lady but has never gotten in touch with her...claims she never took the records home....yet theyre not in the basement and there was thousands of emtheres this blank spot in the back of my mind that goes "i know those records went somewhere, but i dont know where"similar stories?

Comments

• Options
    Passed up a box of Stan Martin 45's (I think I may have double played the shit side on my portable)!

http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4734987530

Later got a 20+ count, so I wasn't mad.

K in Canada.

• I'll let you know tomorrow when I go back to see if the box of *** ******* 12"s and ****** LPs is still where I left it

• there are no missed opportunities. only gained experiences. peace, stein. . .

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    there are no missed opportunities. only gained experiences. peace, stein. . .

fortune cookie?

• there are no missed opportunities. only gained experiences. peace, stein. . .

fortune cookie?
    experience. peace, stein. . .

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    when one door closes, a window opens...

---

• i was staying with a friend in brooklyn in 2001, and his dad, who was a bit of a jazz fan, told us about this old man from around the block who had been collecting jazz records for decades. he got tired of storing them, so he offered them to my friend's dad (for free). he had 30,000. his dad turned them down because he didn't know where he'd put them all. i asked his dad to put me in touch, but i was leaving the country in a few days and couldn't really logistically work it out. i've been thinking about that since then ... i can only imagine the kind of insanity that was in that collection.

• i was staying with a friend in brooklyn in 2001, and his dad, who was a bit of a jazz fan, told us about this old man from around the block who had been collecting jazz records for decades. he got tired of storing them, so he offered them to my friend's dad (for free). he had 30,000. his dad turned them down because he didn't know where he'd put them all. i asked his dad to put me in touch, but i was leaving the country in a few days and couldn't really logistically work it out. i've been thinking about that since then ... i can only imagine the kind of insanity that was in that collection.

I made a house call today to look at 300 LPs in a house with no electricity or running water. At least six VG or worse copies of Linda Ronstadt's "Lush Life", Don Ho's "20 hawaiian Hits", etc. When the guy called me to come over, he said he had 5000+ albums. Said they were all mint rock and jazz...even asked me how much I'd pay for a sealed Beatles "White Album". Guess how many sealed copies he had... Stop daydreaming.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Damn, I thought this thread was gonna be a bunch of little dudes describing fellow diggers that they'd made bashful eyes at while flipping through an adjacent crate and regretted not hollering at...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    i was staying with a friend in brooklyn in 2001, and his dad, who was a bit of a jazz fan, told us about this old man from around the block who had been collecting jazz records for decades. he got tired of storing them, so he offered them to my friend's dad (for free). he had 30,000. his dad turned them down because he didn't know where he'd put them all. i asked his dad to put me in touch, but i was leaving the country in a few days and couldn't really logistically work it out. i've been thinking about that since then ... i can only imagine the kind of insanity that was in that collection.

I made a house call today to look at 300 LPs in a house with no electricity or running water. At least six VG or worse copies of Linda Ronstadt's "Lush Life", Don Ho's "20 hawaiian Hits", etc. When the guy called me to come over, he said he had 5000+ albums. Said they were all mint rock and jazz...even asked me how much I'd pay for a sealed Beatles "White Album". Guess how many sealed copies he had... Stop daydreaming.

Ha! "2,000" is a stock response from nearly everyone I talk to.

Me: "So, how many 45's would you guess you have at home?
    Everybody: "Hmmmm. I'd say...(pause)...'bout 2,000"

rarely is it ever more than 200.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    man...too many to list.

my last one was just a few weeks ago--i picked up some of 3 boxes of all white label promo copy soul and funk singles from the late 50s-early 70s. they were labels on or distributed by roulette mostly.
    i picked up a good amount--but have little money on me i wasn;t able to pick up all three of the boxes. i went back home, grabbed some more cash and when i got back---the rest of the boxes were gone!

i passed up on a still sealed numbered beatles white album that was 20 bucks--because i only had like 10 bucks on me.

i know--sometimes i need to be a

• man...too many to list.

my last one was just a few weeks ago--i picked up some of 3 boxes of all white label promo copy soul and funk singles from the late 50s-early 70s. they were labels on or distributed by roulette mostly.
    i picked up a good amount--but have little money on me i wasn;t able to pick up all three of the boxes. i went back home, grabbed some more cash and when i got back---the rest of the boxes were gone!

i passed up on a still sealed numbered beatles white album that was 20 bucks--because i only had like 10 bucks on me.

i know--sometimes i need to be a

PLEASE, no more talk of sealed Beatles white albums!

• he said he had 5000+ albums. Said they were all mint rock and jazz...

Life is a permanent[/b] Deja-Vu!

Ps.: To avoid people lying about the number of records they have simply ask where they stack them and if (luckily) they have them in boxes just ask for the number of boxes or crates they have.

With the help of some math (120 records per crate) you should be able to draw yourself your own picture of the quantity that awaits you there (Not to forget about different kind of crates in different states, countries).

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Damn, I thought this thread was gonna be a bunch of little dudes describing fellow diggers that they'd made bashful eyes at while flipping through an adjacent crate and regretted not hollering at...

it's not too late. I dream of the moment when I finally get to meat smug regatta