Funkadelic vs. Parliment???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Who u got and why?

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Funkadelic because they took funk and added adelic to it. Nuff said.

DJ Ferrari

• both. peace, 'check . . .

• Funkadelic was marketed towards white folks, while Parlament was for the black folks. Good way to get around the segregation in the biz at the time. Let's not forget that James Brown was set up for crossover success before the "Say it Loud" song came out. Wow, how things have changed.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Funkadelic was marketed towards white folks, while Parlament was for the black folks. Good way to get around the segregation in the biz at the time. Let's not forget that James Brown was set up for crossover success before the "Say it Loud" song came out. Wow, how things have changed.

So u like Funkadelic?

• Who u got and why?

Just this minute, I'd take the Parliaments over either. Having endured the g-funk era, its still pretty tough for me to listen to anything George Clinton did after 1970. Hopefully my g-funk hangover will pass cuz both groups made a ton of great shit.

• Funkadelic was marketed towards white folks, while Parlament was for the black folks. Good way to get around the segregation in the biz at the time. Let's not forget that James Brown was set up for crossover success before the "Say it Loud" song came out. Wow, how things have changed.

So u like Funkadelic?

I like both, but then again I'm half white, that might be it.

Y'all cats are ridin' the fence big time........pick one.

• Funkadelic...but I cherish the entire P-Funk catalogue

Sampled Funkadelic

Sampled Parliment

Not that sampling says that much.

• funkadelic for vibe out at home.
    parliament for the club.
    peace, stein. . .

• Funkadelic, without a doubt. Two words: Eddie Hazel. I love the guitar work on the first few Funkadelic albums. Parliament, to me anyhow, is way too cartoonish most of the time so I listen to Funkadelic a whole lot more.

• That Funkadelic shit is so fucking DEEP. And freaky. Completely their own sound, and it hits me hard in the gut every time I hear it.

Osmium is one of my favorite albums of all time.

• parliament

• I hate to keep straddlin' the fence like the others, but I'm sitting here wondering what the difference was. When Funkadelic got freaky, Parliament did too. When Parliament decided to get commercial, Funkadelic came right behind them with the same sound. Parliament's Osmium basically sounds like the first two Funkadelic albums with better production. And although Parliament had the hit with "Flash Light," that could have been late-70's Funkadelic just as easily. And when I used to work in a record store, customers used to confuse the two entities all the time.

They say that Parliament was supposed to be the commercial side of Funkadelic, but the Parliaments (plural) sounded far more mainstream than either one of them.

• Good marketing on their part.

• Funkadelic...but I cherish the entire P-Funk catalogue

• Funkadelic.