Aretha

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
She just brings out the soul in everything. Her versions of The Weight and Elanor Rigby kick ass. I have been listening to her atlantic greatest hits all day. What's your favorite Aretha jam?

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Aretha's voice possesses an amazing amount of power. She can swing those notes (words) around and right through you, at any given moment in a song. There are few people who can do that. Sam Cooke is the male equivalent that comes to mind.

Current favorite: "Don't Let Me Loose This Dream"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    of late:

save me
    i've been loving you too long
    one step ahead
    bridge over troubled water - live
    all the king's men

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've had her version of Precious Lord/You've Got A Friend in my head for a few weeks. I've got to find another copy of that record.

Soulsville, one of the few songs that she wrote, produced and played on while at Columbia is a forgotten gem.

Aretha = No Bad Songs.

Dan

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The greatest.

I had to call out a friend recently for being the walking definition of a little dude: got the Carolyn and Erma Franklin records, but don't have your Aretha discography right.

• "Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)"

• "Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)"

one of my favorite songs evar

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)"

one of my favorite songs evar

ditto

"Daydreamin'" kills me every time too...

but my fave Aretha LP is

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The greatest.

I had to call out a friend recently for being the walking definition of a little dude: got the Carolyn and Erma Franklin records, but don't have your Aretha discography right.

Did he at least have the 30 Greatest Hits?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

but my fave Aretha LP is

this record is fucking bonkers. i can't pick one favourite by her, but when i first got this - i listened to it non-stop.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The greatest.

He had Young, Gifted & Black, and maybe one or two other pieces, but his discography wasn't right...

• The greatest.

He had Young, Gifted & Black, and maybe one or two other pieces, but his discography wasn't right...

I don't mean to dis Aretha on her own thread, but she has to be one of the most overplayed artists on dusties shows...his 'Retha collection probably wasn't right because he had to take a f*****g break for a while from the overexposure. Hell, I stopped buying Motown for a few years, for that reason.

• How about the last minute Pavarotti fill-in on 'Nessun dorma' at the Grammys a few years ago? Find that footage cause she KILLED it with no rehearsal or prep time.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    How about the last minute Pavarotti fill-in on 'Nessun dorma' at the Grammys a few years ago? Find that footage cause she KILLED it with no rehearsal or prep time.

Somewhere I have a cassette tape, recorded off the tv, of her singing the National Anthem at the 1992 Democratic Convention. It will give you goose bumps.

Dan

• Doesn't she have an album that Ayatollah sampled?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Incredible.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    What's your favorite Aretha jam?

"Rock Steady" is fiyuurr

I like her version of "groovin'"

and all the ballads on the "I never loved a man" lp

• Incredible.

co-sign

also the soundtrack for sparkle stands as an "above average" album