Gunkhole VS G-UNIT

TECUMSEHTECUMSEH 301 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Any thoughts?

Comments

• Or basically to quote Ricci Rucker

I been doing some musical research, and I've come to the conclusion that there are 2 types of people who make music...

those who want to make next shit, and those who want to preserve a style.

what do you prefer?

Personally, I think theres room for everything, but I think preservation music for obvious reasons gets way too much shine for simply repeating or updating a style without really updating it... I mean you look at Gunkhole (you know I'm gonna use us as an example), but technically, we probably outshine all hip hop groups and individuals from frisco to bangkok, worldwide, musically, we're bringing something new, and conceptually, no one is even doing it.

blah blah, it's cutting edge shit, we know it...

yet, when you look at what's "hot" and I'm not even reffering to the mainstream "hot" which is another discussion in itself, but on the indie tip... I think the shit is lopsided. Not even in the terms of me or us being recognized, but nothing even remotely innovative I see gets major love, from any part of the world. I also refuse to believe these groups or artists don't exist.

I'm starting to think the underground stars (that equates to those who essentially clock a certain figure a year) are trying to unknowingly (yet knowingly) merge with the mainstream in terms of having the same belief system. It seems this mentality is becoming as intrusive and addictive as E-40 slang at frat parties. It's the same shit, but a mental take over, and I don't think many people are seeing this. I notice it on the music level, thus it having to be happening on the real life day to day level.

This is a real concern, now how much you concerning about it will it change things, I don't know, but I bet it would only improve the situation if ones kept it at least in the back of their mind. I'll explain more later.

I'm absolutely for seperation of genres in terms of making music to sell and making music to push music for music's own sake and self realization at the same time.

For some reason the "underground", and I don't mean the "underground", but simply music that isn't very profitable at the time of it's release, isn't even striving to at least excel in terms of inventiveness. Personally, I'm no compromise, I only make new shit, and I know there's a chance that we might not make much money, but one thing there is no doubt about is, were set in history, music history as innovators, and at the end of the day, I think there needs to be at least more ATTEMPTS at that same thing.

This goes back to keeping this thing in the back of your mind, I think the ATTEMPT at being an innovator is the same difference as keeping not taking on a mainstream belief system. As different and unrelated as it seems, these connections I only make while making music. They are dead on.

Even if you fail at being an innovator, the attempt I believe is worth it, because the ironic part is, if you fail at being an innovator, the chances of you being a commercial success is slim, I'm saying, a lot of these "sellouts" as some call them, aren't stupid, they are talented, and my mind always wonders "what if they went this way"...

not only would the music be better, but the reason why I'm speaking on this is because it touches a bigger issue, the world. The world would be a better place, LITERALLY, if the values were more intact to an honest relationship with what you call your art, or your career, or your friend, or your whatever. Life situation being soley effected by a belief system that is either adopted or passed on.

Musically, this value system represent a group of people (the band or artist) with a group of people who support their music that believe in the idea of bettering self, before the monetary. It's a very simple thing to vocalize and even understand on the surface, but it seems like it's very hard for many to do, which makes it a subconcious epidemic.

Almost goes back to Chris Rock's statement, "A man is only as faithful as his option". I am not a believer of that, because Chris did not state fact, he stated a reality of the present. He has a point, if you subtract man and add people, you have the average human in a nutshell. That's why there are issues in this world though. Having an honest relationship with one's art will avoid that statement above. I do it constantly, I'm not bound to my better option, because the idea if completely subjective.

This jumps back the mainstream ideas and belief system, their idea of better certainly would be, more money. No need to get into that though, you get my point.

I'm just venting, no real direction for this at anyone, just a generalism of what I feel right now, plus I'm smoking a joint, things happen.

I'm for next shit if I had to pick one of the two, although, I believe theres room for both, I just feel respect should be given to those who honestly and obviously do more than candy shit. Not even to where it's the "next shit" heads blowin up, but a more balanced version of today. Cause honestly, right now, it's a huge fucking lopside, and it seems if it gets more lopsided, everything we know will die, some how some way.

Doesn't have to be, and maybe this is the lesson to life, and maybe this is way confucious stated "that if you want to know the quality of a nations government, listen to their (most popular) music"

If it's shit, well dammit, the nations shit...Everywhere I look around the world, pop has taken over, it wasn't always like this people.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Haha I'm looking forward to a 6 page thread with RR as the instigator.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dude writes the looooongest rants on himself.

Does he talk this much in person, too?

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    he's a fucking idiot in my opinion

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    remember when that fool used to post as aliaS_ on skratchpiklz.com...

peace.

• Haha I'm looking forward to a 6 page thread with RR as the instigator.
    Yeah the man the legend the myth "RR". I first heard of Nicks from DJ Ace(Seattle's Best Coffee, no pun intended). D had introduced them. I new the way Ace was talkin that he was on some shit. This is prior to the RR marketing machine really took effect. That guy does back what he says up. I personaly enjoy his posts.

• Dude writes the looooongest rants on himself.

Does he talk this much in person, too?
    Don't think he has to.

• he's a fucking idiot in my opinion
    Who 50 or Ricci?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Any thoughts?

i love what he did on this

• Thats HOt

• Yeah real real nice. It would be nice to see it performed live with MR.STARKS.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    who the fuck is gunkhole?

• That's Buthole

• spcspc 534 Posts
    He got mad skills, his drumming is definitely the best I've ever heard but his online persona somehow seems to be ...

• He got mad skills, his drumming is definitely the best I've ever heard but his online persona somehow seems to be ...
    Why? Explain please.

• Or basically to quote Ricci Rucker

but technically, we probably outshine all hip hop groups and individuals from frisco to bangkok, worldwide, musically, we're bringing something new, and conceptually, no one is even doing it.

wow. people actually talk like this?

• spcspc 534 Posts
    He got mad skills, his drumming is definitely the best I've ever heard but his online persona somehow seems to be ...
    Why? Explain please.

Just go the d-styles board or his own board on asisphonics.net and re-read the last 3-4 years. You got to experience that by yourself, but be prepared to read more than there is text in a 30-piece brockhaus encylopedia.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    he's probably the most up his own arse person ive ever met. and ive grown up around musicians from day one, so thats saying something.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Why? Explain please.

Just go the d-styles board or his own board on asisphonics.net and re-read the last 3-4 years. You got to experience that by yourself, but be prepared to read more than there is text in a 30-piece brockhaus encylopedia.

hell no. So this is some scratch dork talking about outshining the rest of hip hop? Im sure.

• Why do I picture some guy wandering around the record store muttering to himself at 100mph, looking at an occasional record, looking directly at other customers like they're not there, puttering around some more, then wandering out back onto the street.

• He got mad skills, his drumming is definitely the best I've ever heard but his online persona somehow seems to be ...
    Why? Explain please.

I find what he has to say interesting. I am not bothered by it one bit. Why does it bother you personally? Just curious.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    who is ricci rucker?

• who is ricci rucker?

Some scratch nerd unhappy that his technical but boring shit doesn't sell as much as fiddy's entertaining but technically shit music.

Why? Explain please.

hell no. So this is some scratch dork talking about outshining the rest of hip hop? Im sure.

Well I wouldn't really catagorize him as a skratch dork. In fact that is the last thing I would call him. I would more say he has a forward way of thinking and of course acting upon it. He is a producers producer. J Dilla, Ghost, and KRS I doubt would call him a skratch dork.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    who is ricci rucker?

he used to post on skratchpiklz.com as aliaS_ and caused lots of beef. Dude's got skills but takes himself way too seriously. He had all these aliases and denied it was him... then people forgot about all the shit he talked and he found some talented friends in scratch land and started releasing music.

Dude aint not joke on the cut or drums. Skillwise dude is there. I just don't dig that downtempo sound thats coming outta "turntablism" right now.

peace.

• who is ricci rucker?
    Take that shit to asis phonics.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    He's actually pretty talented.

But his, (at least online) persona, is incredibly tiring.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    where can i hear his drumming?

• Mack, beware, this is scratch drumming, as opposed to actual funky drumming...
    Although he did a nice track on the flip if that Sharon Jones (Paul Nice Remix)

• Mack, beware, this is scratch drumming, as opposed to actual funky drumming...
    Although he did a nice track on the flip if that Sharon Jones (Paul Nice Remix)
    Gio(DJ Ace) is one hella funky drummer on actual drums. Since we are talkin about Gunkhole, he is their drummer. Don't front on Ace.