epidit help!!!

KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
no instructiones?! wtf?! anyone know tha deal...like got a pdf or something? I guess I could just figure it out but I can't believe it didn't come w/ instructions... I'm gonna wood glue the bitch together too regardless of wheter they say to or not, those pegs look like wood glue would be the only thing that would make 'em super stable...help...which of you

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    no instructiones?! wtf?! anyone know tha deal...like got a pdf or something? I guess I could just figure it out but I can't believe it didn't come w/ instructions... I'm gonna wood glue the bitch together too regardless of wheter they say to or not, those pegs look like wood glue would be the only thing that would make 'em super stable...help...which of you

it was supposed to come with instructions -- mine did. if you go back to ikea, they will give you a set of instructions, but then again i bet you don't want to drag your ass back up to phoenix just for that.

i put mine together relatively recently (although i threw away the directions i think). so i could help if you want. basically you start at the bottom, and put the small shelf walls in one layer at a time with the pegs.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    What if you decide to move? Are you sure you can fit it through the door/down the stairs/etc as a complete unit? If the glue takes and that thing doesn???t come apart and you can't get it in the hall ??? you???re screwed.

• It doesn't take a genius to assemble these and I've been using mine for years now without glue. I've had to disassemble it a few times for moving purposes.

• I'm not worried about moving it. all my doors are taller that 72" (hope yours are too unless you are living in a hobbit hole) Stairs are not really an issue to me either. I'm sure they hold ok w/ out glue but I'm betting they'll be even better w/ glue (that's how a real carpenter would assemble something like that). Plus I've heard a few people on here comment that they don't seem so stable once assemble, I bet glue would help w/ that. Blue Snag, thanks for the "start at the bottom addvice". I'm assuming the only thing used to acctually assemble the bookcase is the wooden pegs and that the screws are all for anchoring it to the wall if you chosse to do so...

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I'm not worried about moving it. all my doors are taller that 72" (hope yours are too unless you are living in a hobbit hole) Stairs are not really an issue to me either. I'm sure they hold ok w/ out glue but I'm betting they'll be even better w/ glue (that's how a real carpenter would assemble something like that). Plus I've heard a few people on here comment that they don't seem so stable once assemble, I bet glue would help w/ that. Blue Snag, thanks for the "start at the bottom addvice". I'm assuming the only thing used to acctually assemble the bookcase is the wooden pegs and that the screws are all for anchoring it to the wall if you chosse to do so...

i think some of the screws are for screwing the big border walls together at the corners. i think. i'm not at home so i can't check to make sure. but you definitely want those corners in good.

have you tried searching for the instructions at the ikea website? or maybe if you call the help number they can give you a link or scan the instructions for you or something.

• I'm not worried about moving it. all my doors are taller that 72" (hope yours are too unless you are living in a hobbit hole) Stairs are not really an issue to me either. I'm sure they hold ok w/ out glue but I'm betting they'll be even better w/ glue (that's how a real carpenter would assemble something like that). Plus I've heard a few people on here comment that they don't seem so stable once assemble, I bet glue would help w/ that.

I've got 3 of these batches, filled to capacity with vinyl plus tons of schitt sitting on top. Had 'em for up about 7 years now. Sturdy as f**k. Don't worry, you really should not need glue.

• Anyone still got the instructions? I've been on hold w/ Tempe for 10 min and it's just a promt loop, never even hold music something is wrong w/ there system. I don't want to fuck up anty of these hols assembling it wrong... I know it doesn't take a fgenius I'd still like to at least look at a detailed picture of the parts and make sure I have everything I need...

• Anyone still got the instructions? I've been on hold w/ Tempe for 10 min and it's just a promt loop, never even hold music something is wrong w/ there system. I don't want to fuck up anty of these hols assembling it wrong... I know it doesn't take a fgenius I'd still like to at least look at a detailed picture of the parts and make sure I have everything I need...

please dont take this the wrong way karlito but have you been drinking at all today?

• I'm assuming the only thing used to acctually assemble the bookcase is the wooden pegs and that the screws are all for anchoring it to the wall if you chosse to do so...

You use the screws to anchor in the sides of the unit. If you look at the bottom and top pieces of the unit you'll see where you can put these in.

• LOL no but I see how you could think that from the thought organization and typos on that post...Instructions Please, I do not want to end up w/ the bookshelf of Dr. Calgari...

• If you look at the bottom and top pieces of the unit you'll see where you can put these in.
    cool thanks, So the longer thick boards are the bottom and top and the slightly shorter ones are the sides? The little square pieces are the vertical shelf deviders and the long thin boards are the horrizontal shelves? Then I'm assuming there are metal inserts in the ends of the thick boards that I am supposed to seccure w/ the long hex head screws, and everything inside the perimiter is assembled w/ the pegs?

• chasechase 767 Posts
    right about now even the commerical stuff is so primo right now in AZ... x-mas buds are the best..

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    adventures in expedit

A Letter to Ikea

Keith Snyder

Brooklyn, NY 11217

To: Ikea Customer Service

8352 Honeygo Blvd.

Baltimore, MD 21236

July 18, 1998

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am taking a break from assembling my 73x73 "Expedit" wall unit to express to you my gratitude for how interesting Ikea has made my life today.

What could have been simply another boring weekend has been transformed into an adventure, the likes of which I experience only when I shop at and subsequently assemble furniture sold by your lovely company.

My first thank-you goes to the service counter, where they increased my sense of suspense by drawing out the "fifteen-minute wait" by an additional fifteen minutes! How clever! They knew I'd be doubly happy when my gray "Expedit" wall unit finally appeared.

This same impish sense of humor was evident when, after the hour's drive back home, I unboxed my gray "Expedit" wall unit to find that it was a black "Expedit" wall unit. Please forward my thanks to the service staff for sensing my poor interior design choice and taking it upon themselves to correct it.

Still chuckling over this delightful detour to my expectation, I began to assemble my black "Expedit" wall unit.

In hiring documentation writers who place clarity above simplicity, most companies reveal that they are humorless entities without the personal touch. Ikea is to be commended for their choice to create assembly instructions which not only do not use words at all -- thus allowing people who may not speak the world's primary languages to enjoy the identical experience on long Saturdays around the globe -- but which allow the illustrator free range for his own personal artistic license. A less creative, free-spirited company would balk at releasing technical drawings which show holes where they are not and do not show holes where they are, which do not explicitly show the consumer how to differentiate the side pieces from the top, nor the top from the bottom, and which have no indication of the fact that the shelves are not intended to sit atop their supports, but rather surround them. But I have learned to look forward to Ikea's droll, delightful, impressionist documentation. After all, if Seurat can create the impression of people at a French seaside using only colored dots, why should an Ikea technical illustrator not create only the impression of accuracy?

Also please thank your documentation team for allowing me the luxury of putting aside my precious projects for an hour or two of three-dimensional puzzle-solving. How did you know I so enjoy Rubik's Cube and Chinese woodblocks? I have had my black "Expedit" wall unit assembled and disassembled three times now, and I still have not solved it! A hearty congratulations to your dedicated staff-- I assemble and disassemble things all the time as part of owning a music studio, and you've managed to do what teams of Japanese, Dutch, and American documentation writers have failed to: You've got me stymied! I'll beat you on this next go-round, though; I believe I now see it. Of course, the only reason I see it is that I seem to have run out of other combinations, but a brute force solution beats none.

(I do, however, think it is not entirely fair play to hide so many of the pre-drilled holes. I can see hiding one or two, but gluing veneer over two entire sides and leaving only the faintest dimples as evidence of the holes lurking beneath them seems a bit out-of-bounds and not quite preux, wouldn't you say?)

Please also forward my thanks to whoever designed the veneer. While most consumers would be satisfied with a nice, clean, smooth, featureless gray -- oops, I mean black! -- surface, you were able to discern that I prefer to think of myself as an individualist, and would thus find such perfection boring. I'm very impressed with your foresight: Kudos to you for knowing that after the third complete reassembly and repositioning of my black "Expedit" wall unit, not a surface would remain unchipped. I am now the very proud owner of a brand new $249 shelf unit which looks as though it did not survive that last Florida hurricane. Thank you so much for allowing me to express my non-conformity through my interior furnishings.

Please also relay my gratitude to the sophisticate who intuited that six would be too symmetrical a number of plastic feet for the bottom of such a work of art, and who therefore removed one from my package, a subtle and insightful move, and one more commonly associated with the Futurist art movement than with most furniture stores. The positioning of five plastic feet into six pre-drilled holes was an unexpected and delightful intellectual and aesthetic challenge, and one which brought a wry smile and a colorful comment to my lips.

It seems I have so many things for which to be grateful that I would simply drone on forever if I tried. If you continue to give all your customers such excellent solutions to their needs -- Needs they weren't even aware they had! Wow! -- the future of your company is easy to predict. After all, happy customers are return customers.

I now return to my $249 chipped, incorrectly (re-re-)assembled, black "Expedit" weekend project. Although I would love to do this all the time, I cannot always get to New Jersey, so next weekend, as a way of replicating the experience, I am considering staying home and banging myself repeatedly in the head with a hammer.

My best regards,

Keith Snyder

Pleased consumer

• right about now even the commerical stuff is so primo right now in AZ
    Ahh...good + cheap mersh one of the great fringe benefits of living in TooStoned...

• If you look at the bottom and top pieces of the unit you'll see where you can put these in.
    cool thanks, So the longer thick boards are the bottom and top and the slightly shorter ones are the sides? The little square pieces are the vertical shelf deviders and the long thin boards are the horrizontal shelves? Then I'm assuming there are metal inserts in the ends of the thick boards that I am supposed to seccure w/ the long hex head screws, and everything inside the perimiter is assembled w/ the pegs?

Sounds right.