James Brown anti-drug spot

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
On Howard Stern the other day they played an old ad angainst drugs by James Brown. He was urging kids not to do them because they are "super bad". Has anyone ever seen anything like this on vinyl??!!??It was hillarious

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    This is on at least a couple of the Polydor James Brown CD collections from the 90s. I'd have to go back and check which ones, and I'm not sure if it made it to vinyl, but it's super bad, super bad, super bad...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    We actually have it at my station on a cart as a genuine PSA we can play.
    A couple of his flipsides are very close cousins of that radio spot.

The Sonny Hobson 1969 WHAT radio show CD that is available has an ad for "Mystery of Black" hair products, that has James Brown come in with an endorsement. There's your usual echoing loud announcer going on about the qualities of "Mystery of Black" and then he's like "HERE'S WHAT JAMES BROWN, GODFATHER OF SOUL, HAS TO SAY ABOUT 'MYSTERY OF BLACK' HAIR PRODUCTS" and the beat suddenly switches up to "Say It Loud," and James comes on claiming he only uses "Mystery of Black" hair products, although I swear he keeps calling it "Mister Black." Good stuff.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    yes. fine. terrific. but can you tell me if there is a vocal version of nose job?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Pretty sure there was a promo 45 of it... I think at least one of my friends owns it

I think the Bobby Byrd one is on 45 too??

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    yes. fine. terrific. but can you tell me if there is a vocal version of nose job?

Lee Austin's "Steal Away," I think.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

The Sonny Hobson 1969 WHAT radio show CD that is available has an ad for "Mystery of Black" hair products, that has James Brown come in with an endorsement. There's your usual echoing loud announcer going on about the qualities of "Mystery of Black" and then he's like "HERE'S WHAT JAMES BROWN, GODFATHER OF SOUL, HAS TO SAY ABOUT 'MYSTERY OF BLACK' HAIR PRODUCTS" and the beat suddenly switches up to "Say It Loud," and James comes on claiming he only uses "Mystery of Black" hair products, although I swear he keeps calling it "Mister Black." Good stuff.

This CD is so necessary...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    "HERE'S WHAT FAUX_RILLZ HAS TO SAY ABOUT 'MYSTERY OF BLACK' HAIR PRODUCTS":

"so necessary"

• Pretty sure there was a promo 45 of it... I think at least one of my friends owns it

The promo King 45 I've got has both James Brown and Bobby Byrd. It has 4 spots (I think), and it's called "Fight Against Drug Abuse." Your dude found a copy at the flea market late last year; I got mine offa Troy in RVA.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Lee Austin's "Steal Away," I think.

Thank You very much James.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Pretty sure there was a promo 45 of it... I think at least one of my friends owns it

The promo King 45 I've got has both James Brown and Bobby Byrd. It has 4 spots (I think), and it's called "Fight Against Drug Abuse." Your dude found a copy at the flea market late last year; I got mine offa Troy in RVA.

Oh damn, I was thinking it was Agent45 who had it... nice score

EDIT: the Byrd one is also available on the official double LP comp outta UK

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "HERE'S WHAT FAUX_RILLZ HAS TO SAY ABOUT 'MYSTERY OF BLACK' HAIR PRODUCTS":

"so necessary"

Where did you get that picture of me from? Creepy...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Has anyone compiled a huge mixtape of all the product pitches by soul/funk artists? Some of those Colt 45 ones are killer.