"Played Out" as a construct...discuss...

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
So you're jamming to ___________ (fill in the blank) from 1983-2000, but from 2000-2005 said "jam" becomes mundane and no longer a jam...it becomes "jamless"--something you turn down instead of up while commuting home....Maybe "Pour Some Sugar on Me" stoked you, maybe it's anything by Roger and Zapp or whatever the fuck...I'm wondering though, how can one recapture the magic after a song has been "played out" or is this even possible? Discuss and list your favorite RIP (Rest in PlayedOutness) songs...

Comments

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    Pour Some Shuggie Knight on Me Part 1 and 2 are played out forever. Doubles of Troutman can rock themselves while you take a piss.

It's all about your crowd. You have to know your crowd or stay home.

There's always one person out there who will think each song you play is "played" and they might leave and tell everyone you suck or, even worse, come up and hassle you with vague requests. I say, if 80% or more of the crowd is moving (assuming your playing to a dance situation) said players (bitches) can fuck off.

Conclusion: no such thing as played out.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Conclusion: no such thing as played out.

Yes and no. Timing and crowd, as you mentioned is everything.
    But certain songs have a shelf-life within a specific space and time. Like in DC, from about the time it peaked thru the present, Outkast's "Hey Yah" would qualify as officially PLAYED OUT. As in vitually NO CROWD will want to hear this track until further notice. While "I like the way you move" is more CONTEXTUALLY played out, ie. certain crowds have forgotten that they are sick of that song, and be like "I always dug this. Haven't heard it in a while, this is cool".

Eventually they all come around through the looking glass and back into "Fresh" mode, even it's only for 3 minutes on some dancefloor somewhere, then back into "Played Out" mode once more.

You feel me?

I agree there is threshold for new songs where they are hot then played until they might approach classic. I think it???s like ratio of how long they are hot times five minus played out. Then there is this other dimension where shit like Kiss is.

Or in Braxtonian:

H(T) ??? Po/.05=infukwidable

Hey Yah is not there. I think Hot in Hurrr just go there.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    These responses are all DJ floor related...I definitely feel that...mob/group mentalitiy can make a fresh jam stale and nasty (along with corporate channel KILLING a song by playing it every other song)...I guess I'm referring more to "nostalgia" jams...songs that used to spark electricity but are now about as conudctive as rubber souled shoes...for example...I used to pretty much love every song on "The Chronic" but now I pretty much change the station when any song is on...(except maybe let me ride).

Then you are asking for a construct for something entirely subjective. And we've found those discussions to be useless. Unless you want beef?

e.g.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    puto bong bong = NOT played out

• the beastie boys.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    "Drop It Like It Hot" played out faster than any song I've seen in a while.

Ludacris songs play out really fast.

But I notice that while some played out songs I find I still like - I'm just sick of hearing them every hour on the hour - others reveal themselves as true duds after repeated listens.

I think that a lot of 90's rap staples have played out by now...like "T.R.O.Y." Why couldn't all the play it's gotten over the years have been divied up equally between itself and "Straighten It Out"?

"Scenario" too.

A lot of classic Wu Tang.

Hopefully everyone already stopped playing 80's pop a year ago.

Those same 5 classic reggae dancehall songs - "Bam Bam", "Ring the Alarm", "Murder She Wrote", etc. - are about 5 years past played.

Meanwhile, somehow someway "Still Tippin" still gets me everytime that I hear it on the radio.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Then you are asking for a construct for something entirely subjective. And we've found those discussions to be useless. Unless you want beef?

e.g.

No beef man...I've had my fill... y'all already know this...

"Drop It Like It Hot" played out faster than any song I've seen in a

that fucking turd played out for me at the listening station the day it came out.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I don't know how this turned into a club/dj related convo but I totally feel what dude is saying. There are some songs i've played to fucking DEATH and now almost never recapture what made me feel em so hard in the past.

I really think it's us that change and as our tastes change we just outgrow some songs in one way or another.

Also the context of your listening has a lot to do with it. I got in my car after work and Karin Krog came on and I was like "ugg... too many times for that one" but really I probably just didn't want to hear that shit right then. I highly recommend getting nice and sauced and/or high when revisiting tired cuts.

We highly recommend getting nice and sauced and/or high when revisiting tired cuts.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

TROY- overplayed, hate it now
    i can dream about you (from streets of fire)- USED to be my shit back in 80-what? now gets on the nerves. " I can dream a-bout youuuu..."